Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Les Battersby (Read 3332 times)
Bos
Donor Member

Les Battersby
Oct 31st, 2014 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Lost an old mate during the week in his 80th year.
Still hunting and fishing right up to the end.
"....and the good lord spoke to his son Jesus Christ, who turned to his flock and said to one in particular,
thou shallt command men to control rabbits, and thou shallt walk along the tops and harvest deer at will, and thou shallt be fishers of men and catch the delicious blue cod, and if thou still has't time, thou shallt dive beneath the waves and seek out the much loved spiny crayfish, and then, and only then, thou may take a small drink of gin and bread in thanks of thy bounty .......and so it was.

RIP Les
Sad

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Re: Les Battersby
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
RIP Les

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

johnd
Donor Member

I Love The smell of gunpowder

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Secret squirrel rest easy, another of lifes characters gone on.

IP Logged

s55

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Was Les from Kaikoura .

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Rest easy Les.

IP Logged

Bos
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2014 at 3:25am
Print Post  
s55 wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 7:54am:
Was Les from Kaikoura .

Yea he was, had a great send off last Tuesday

IP Logged

s55

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 3:52am
Print Post  
Thanks for that,been here lot last year with his wife,  dropped them in Prices Basin in  Feb, he seen a few chams,,top chap. Sad

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Hi Bos - I have been doing a bit of Google research on a couple of old hunting Mates - John Muir from Feilding and Les Battersby from Kaikoura - this link popped up - RIP Les
I went on an NZDA Manawatu trip with them in 1969 - eight of us - Upper Glaisnock (Culling Wapiti cows and reds) and South Westland (after Tahr and Chamois) - Les went home before we went into the Karangarua River, Douglas and Regina Rivers
Both John and Les were very involved with management of the Wapiti herd back then - culling cows and reds - I have also been trying to research the Wapiti management program back then - but I canít find much detail - that was before the helicopter days
I hope the attached picture is of your old friend Les with John - Les with the shaver - John with the brush
A search on John Muir shows detail in the Manawatu Standard that a person of that name died in Feilding on April 10 2018 aged 93 years - RIP John Muir - you were a great man that helped to educate us young hunters

IP Logged

Bos
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Jesus, old Les was a young man there alright. He sure loved his outdoors life, and when he hung up his rabbiting boots in Kaikoura, he sailed all round the Pacific with Zoe for a few years before returning to Picton to set up Dolphin Watch.
I knew him, worked with him and for him for 30 odd years.
On our last hunt about 3 years ago now, I stuffed up a stalk on a mob of chamois, and he did likewise on a couple of spikers. We were both a bit pissed off.
On the way home he said (tongue in cheek) " Oh well, why stuff up a perfectly trip by killing something"
Sadly missed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards