Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) 308 projectiles (Read 22064 times)
RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: 308 projectiles
Reply #75 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
GlenM - I got around 2660 with the 165sst (sf) with the same barrel length. I found I lost around 150-180 fps from what the ammo claimed. Didn't like the sst's performance with an 18" barrel.

IP Logged

GlenM

Reply #76 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Crikey okay that's very handy to know then thanks.

What did you switch to instead?

Cheers

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #77 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
I don't shoot very far(300 max) so I got some 130 ttsx loaded up, have shot a dozen or so animals and seems to do the job well, I've found they work more consistently over varying weights(small Sika-Sambar) and expand instantly and always exit and nothing seems to be able to run far, even engine room shots on Sika! I've only used them out to 220 but I'm sure they'd work good enough out to 350 with good shot placement. The recoil is barely noticeable.

Cheers.

IP Logged

Kalahari-hunter

Walking my rifle

Reply #78 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
everyone seems to be forgetting about the good old Nosler Partition will expand very well right down to 1800fps, and will still expand OK down to 1600. AND at 10m it will still shoot straight throught any deer you point it at with plenty expansion.

cheaper than berger too

in my 308 that means 150gr will kill bambie very dead out to 550y

NZDA Rotorua Member

IP Logged

madfish71
Donor Member

243 rules!!

Reply #79 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 8:41am
Print Post  
GlenM wrote on Jul 19th, 2017 at 10:02am:
Has anyone by chance shot Hornady Superperformance 165 SST over a chornograph to see true velocity?

My 308 has 18 inch barrel and a suppressor and at a guess / rough calc I get about 2770 fps.

Cheers
  Ive chonograph the 150sst and the 165sst out of my 24 inch REM 700 and the 150 was doing 2995(3000 stated) and the 165sst at 2770(2840 stated)

After now using the 165sst for a while now, shooting a number of animals, including stags , pigs, deer, goats i now have this to comment.
Most of the animals ive shot have been bush stalking and close range, 10-100m. They have all fallen over, some bang flop, some not.
Shot placement is the key with anything but for closer range im not sold on them as much as other choices.
Yes, they work but results arent as good as i would have hoped .
Clearly they more suited for longer ranges, and thats why i will stick with them in my 308 as my243 is my go to rifle for the bush and will use that much more and use the 308 for areas with longer ranges.
I shot a Bull Tahr at 315m with a 150sst and it totally pole axed it and im sure the 165sst will do the business out to 500m and it can still be a all rounder as close range it still kills but a number of animals have gone a few feet or more (more so than my 243) before falling over .

The REM corelolts 150 had more knock down power than the 165sst at close range  for a companison but they still work ok .

IP Logged

GlenM

Reply #80 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Cheers for that.

That is interesting that the 150s are doing close to the claimed velocity and the 165s different.

I am using them with the intention as an all rounder from 10 to 450 yards on reds and bull tahr.

A heart shot on a spiker at 290m resulted in it trotting about 15m then standing for a few seconds then dropping with them and a stag at about 80m with a shoulder shot ran about 30-50m then toppled over dead.
And a bull Tahr in the weekend I shot down onto , between the shoulder blades, through the spine  at about 80m too took off round the corner before toppling over.

I asked Nathan foster what he would recommend for the ranges and hunting I am doing and he said the 165s so that's why I am running with them. Sounds like they definetley wont be having the velocity I thought they were out of my 18" barrel.

Thanks for all the info.

IP Logged

madfish71
Donor Member

243 rules!!

Reply #81 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Note that im using the 165sst out of a 24 inch barrel im prob getting more fps speed than the average user that uses a 16-18 inch 308, esp if using in the bush.  hence, even thou they knocking animals over, many look like nothng has happened, run 30m then kneel over with alot of damage. Maybe the slightly slower speed out of a 16-18 barrel perforance will be different and maybe better as the 165sst tends to work alot better at slower speeds hence better for longer range.
I suppose as i want to use  the 308 for longer range and the 243 for closer work i have some extra grunt than the common 18 inch barrel 308 as i have extended range as i be getting on average 180-220fps  more speed hence more knock down power at the limit of the round and it seems the 165sst has enough energy to knock over a animal out to 600m if using in 24 inch barrel looking at the data

IP Logged

30late

Taihape where men are
men and sheep are nervous

Reply #82 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Hey madfish71 that's some interesting and informative info in your last couple of posts, thanks for that.
I have been keen to try some of the Hornady Precision Hunter ammo in my 308 , I believe they only come with a 178gr eldx pill.
Not really what I had in mind for a long range load in 308 but certainly a high bc.
Anybody used them !!

IP Logged

30late

Taihape where men are

Reply #83 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
And just FYI couple of years ago I bought a packet of SF 150gr sst to use in my browning blr , which then still had its 20in barrel (since been chopped to around 16in and DPT can).
My blr did not like them at all ,groups were very average and fired cases were very hard to extract ,had to give the lever a good yank to eject fired case.
I did shoot two stags with them cause they were all I had at the time, first stag dropped on the spot hit just behind front shoulder at bout 100yds , second stag which came in to my brothers roars while I waited in ambush actually came within 2yds of me as I waited in amongst some thick crown fern , fired at its shoulder through the fern which I didn't think would be a problem at such close range but I think the bullet disintegrated before it hit poor ole staggy, he was obviously a bit sick so fired again to very little effect.
I was lucky to get a clear shot at the back of his head as he slowly walked away, when we skinned him out we only found a few fragments of lead under the skin, so that experience has put me off using ssts for close range hunting
Cheers

IP Logged

Macker
Donor Member

Reply #84 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Have just worked up a load for 130 TTSX in a 16.5 inch barrel. Very good group at just under 3000fps.  About to load some more to try at longer ranges. Looking to shoot out to about 400m.

IP Logged

30late

Taihape where men are

Reply #85 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Recently moved back to nz and so bought a packet of Hornady precision hunter ammo 178gr ELDX to try in my ole BLR 308( 16in barrel) and was very pleased with the results , just had a few quick sighters at 50yds to check zero  and found exact same poi as the Winchester ammo I was using with 3 shots in a nice cloverleaf about .75 MOA which is pretty good for the ole girl, as its only a short range weapon anyway!!
After that went out the back of my brothers farm where there is a few redskins running around and shot a nice fat young stag.
The ELDX pill completely munted both shoulders and found what was left of pill just pushing through the skin on opposite shoulder.
I have no idea what speed they would be doing out of my short barrel but put the stag down smartly so jolly good .
Cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards