Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) 308 projectiles (Read 22021 times)
BC
Donor Member

Re: 308 projectiles
Reply #15 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Nosler Ballistic Tip or SST. 150-165 grn.

Either, and stick to it. Stop worrying. No need for a premium bullet.
You are sweating over whats just a lump of lead and copper.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #16 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 4:04am
Print Post  
I for the life of me can not understand why you guys like those Nosler Ballistic tips or SSTs.
Imo they are ok for fallow or hinds but try them on big bull tahr, big stag or big pig, something with a bit of skin or body depth and we have found the retained weight of the projectile is bugger all esp if it is close range.

IP Logged

possumtrapper
Forum Senior

Why am i at the computer
when deer live outside?

Reply #17 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 4:08am
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 4:04am:
I for the life of me can not understand why you guys like those Nosler Ballistic tips or SSTs.
Imo they are ok for fallow or hinds but try them on big bull tahr, big stag or big pig, something with a bit of skin or body depth and we have found the retained weight of the projectile is bugger all esp if it is close range.

work fine for the engine room shots Smiley

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #18 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 4:19am
Print Post  
Cant argue with you if you are getting the results.

However we have found that they just lack penetration on those bigger animals as they break up. We have a few that we recovered and my guess without weighing them is that they would of lost 70 - 80% of there initial weight ?

I prefer something that will hold together going through flesh, bone, vital bits more bone and maybe flesh again.

IP Logged

2T3s
Forum Senior

Shoot to Kill

Reply #19 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 4:19am:

However we have found that they just lack penetration on those bigger animals as they break up. We have a few that we recovered and my guess without weighing them is that they would of lost 70 - 80% of there initial weight ?

I prefer something that will hold together going through flesh, bone, vital bits more bone and maybe flesh again.

What have you settled on?

I don't know about art but I know what I like.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #20 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Accubonds.

I don't take long shots [as they would have bugger all expansion], hell I don't take many shots  Wink Grin

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 5:03am
Print Post  

When did you last try ballistic tips Salmoner? I had the same experience as you when I first tried them. Years ago. Maybe 1980. 6.5 and 7mm were very poor. But they seem to have greatly improved them since then. I tried them again just a few years ago and have been quite impressed.

The SST is a soft bullet, but nothing seems to stand up again.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #22 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Iv found at least 3 to 4   ssts 165 gr under the skin on the op shoulder of stags still weighting about 90gr to 115gr.Being fired from about a 100yds to 250yds,going thru sholder half way down,smashing sholder blades n bones,deer drop on the spot.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Nor-West
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #23 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 6:47am
Print Post  
SST, BT, Speer BTSP, Sierra Game king or Pro hunter all will work.

Still out here in the wind and rain, look a little older but I feel no pain...

Warren Zevon

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #24 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 8:36am
Print Post  
BC wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 5:03am:

When did you last try ballistic tips Salmoner? I had the same experience as you when I first tried them. Years ago. Maybe 1980. 6.5 and 7mm were very poor. But they seem to have greatly improved them since then. I tried them again just a few years ago and have been quite impressed.

The SST is a soft bullet, but nothing seems to stand up again.

Long time ago but if you are getting bang flops Cool I cant and wont argue with you Wink Grin

IP Logged

Mond Uk

Born to hunt ;)

Reply #25 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Trout wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 5:42am:
Iv found at least 3 to 4   ssts 165 gr under the skin on the op shoulder of stags still weighting about 90gr to 115gr.Being fired from about a 100yds to 250yds,going thru sholder half way down,smashing sholder blades n bones,deer drop on the spot.

i go with that, i keep hunts to 250yd max, but if on paper punching over 300yds i go with another cal, 7-08, 7 Rm etc.

"The wildlife of today is not ours to dispose of as we please. We have it in trust. We must account for it to those who come after." - KING GEORGE VI
IP Logged

Krico
Forum Font

Reply #26 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Royal Twelve lots of good info in posts above for you to consider. An authorative and interesting and useful short read is at this link - http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Game+Killing+Fundamentals.html esp... if are into handloading - it explains that you have options available to you once you first determine what 90% of your hunting is going to be in terms of:
a. game size, and
b. shooting range (eg strictly bush shooting or tops only or a mix of both, or varminting?)
This will produce a range of options for you from which to select an optimum proj size/characteristics plus an optimum velocity range plus optimum caliber range. (And I acknowledge that Mr Mike Bennett of Government deer-culling fame back in the 60's was a supreme hunter/culler/shooter who consistently performed eye-watering feats with his triple two - but another 99 people would have just hurt (or missed) the animal.) Hence the use of the word "optimal".
Have fun researching and testing and good luck on the hill Wink

IP Logged

royal twelve

HUNTERS INSTINCT<br />

Reply #27 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 8:09am
Print Post  
I have read nathan fosters knowledge base on projectiles but havnt found the ideal projectiles for nocking animals flat at the ranges I intend to shoot

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
royal twelve wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 8:09am:
I have read nathan fosters knowledge base on projectiles but havnt found the ideal projectiles for nocking animals flat at the ranges I intend to shoot

95% shot placement. 5% projectile.

Until the internet, no one blamed their hollow point CAC 303 ammo for their failures. They just took it on the chin and muttered “piss poor shot” to themselves.  Smiley And they were probably correct.

IP Logged

ezdirect.
Forum Font

Reply #29 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Homemade dumdums ..likely to cause a mortal mess

revertetur firmior    resident camp possum
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards