Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) hauraki gulf reports (Read 22435 times)
TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Re: hauraki gulf reports
Reply #30 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Its been a tad strange on the Coromandel side of the gulf as well. One week really good and the next, SFA

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #31 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
popoff wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:30pm:
i have been struggling, fished for 4 hrs one evening last week and got 1 Snap about 10lb just on dark, been bloody hard of late in my patch any way. The week before two of us fished off Pakiri, 9 man hours of fishing for 4 pannies and got smashed by cooters, got 4 to the boat and would have lost 10 sets of gear Sad
Might be better after this SE blow......i'm hoping anyway Undecided

yeah those weeks of constant westerlies/sou westerlies made for hard fishing up here on the coast also.
the ocean at present is boiling, huge swell and filthy water pouring out of the river mouths.
im really looking forward to the first chance to get out as the fishing should be awesome after this Cool

IP Logged

popoff
Forum Senior

Beer,Bait & Bullets

Reply #32 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:47pm:
popoff wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:30pm:
i have been struggling, fished for 4 hrs one evening last week and got 1 Snap about 10lb just on dark, been bloody hard of late in my patch any way. The week before two of us fished off Pakiri, 9 man hours of fishing for 4 pannies and got smashed by cooters, got 4 to the boat and would have lost 10 sets of gear Sad
Might be better after this SE blow......i'm hoping anyway Undecided

yeah those weeks of constant westerlies/sou westerlies made for hard fishing up here on the coast also.
the ocean at present is boiling, huge swell and filthy water pouring out of the river mouths.im really looking forward to the first chance to get out as the fishing should be awesome after this Cool

I went for a cruise down to the ramp inside the harbour at Omaha this morning, i have never seen so much crap in the harbour before. The ramp is covered in kelp and bush rubbish....damn near knee deep!

IP Logged

Beaker
Forum Font

very happy with my life

Reply #33 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Beautiful day out on the Gulf today caught a few pannies but mainly swam and went for a walk on Tiri. The Gulf did turn up a surprise though as it usually does, a sea turtle swam past the boat poked its head out of the water to check us out then swam off towards Kawau.

First Turtle I have seen in a lifetime on the gulf though I have heard of them being seen before.

IP Logged

ANT
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #34 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Went out for my first paddle since the FYM forum comp, beautiful early morning. Only worked Narrow Neck to rough Rocks for a couple of hours, 20.5 degree water, loads of small fish, even caught the biggest spottie I have ever seen on a trolled lure!
There is a perfectly good, almost brand new sea anchor hung up under the Rough Rock marker  ( not mine! )

So many CATS , so FEW recipes!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a Stalker..Well she's not EXACTLY my girlfriend, yet!
IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #35 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
managaed 3 pannies on sunday. nearly got cut in half by a yacht  "PLAY TIME" in the rakino channel. If i hadnt have shouted out he would have collided into us. Commented as he went past our bow good spotting. Fwit. Was tempted to cast my line into his sail and reply. Good catch.

IP Logged

Viking
Forum Font

Life is for living--not
for worrying

Reply #36 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Just had two days at Coro---- got a feed but the fishing quite hard at the moment. Water still not very warm--17.3 up to 18.2 yesterday. Zillions of boats about, 300+ cars and trailers at the Waikawau ramp on Sat, 150+ yesterday on way home, no wonder the Maori's decided it was a "nice little earner and wanted itsigned over to them!!! And that little Findlayson arsehole gave it to them Angry Angry
Don't know when the handover is, can't be far away now!!  Angry Sad

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #37 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
ANT wrote on Dec 29th, 2014 at 7:04pm:
Went out for my first paddle since the FYM forum comp, beautiful early morning. Only worked Narrow Neck to rough Rocks for a couple of hours, 20.5 degree water, loads of small fish, even caught the biggest spottie I have ever seen on a trolled lure!
There is a perfectly good, almost brand new sea anchor hung up under the Rough Rock marker  ( not mine! )

Ant when I was out there a couple days ago 2 yakkers appeared to be tied off to the marker somehow. Probably belongs to one of them.  Huh

IP Logged

ANT
Forum Font

Reply #38 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 2:36am
Print Post  
Snuffit wrote on Dec 31st, 2014 at 10:03pm:
[quote author=6E415B612F0 link=1407405071/34#34 date=1419879855]Went out for my first paddle since the FYM forum comp, beautiful early morning. Only worked Narrow Neck to rough Rocks for a couple of hours, 20.5 degree water, loads of small fish, even caught the biggest spottie I have ever seen on a trolled lure!
There is a perfectly good, almost brand new sea anchor hung up under the Rough Rock marker  ( not mine)!

Ant when I was out there a couple days ago 2 yakkers appeared to be tied off to the marker somehow. Probably belongs to one of them.  Huh

Yep!! I was the one wearing the big blaze hat!! I tried towing the other yak up current to free it, pays to have a decent float on the end of your drouge  Wink

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #39 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Ahhh right. I came over to look for a kingi, saw you guys there and thought first in first served so buggered off!

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #40 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
where are the fish biting at the mo. Going head out tomorrow.

IP Logged

bushwanderer
Forum Font

hunt, fish and dive

Reply #41 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Went out to Pakiri and set the longline. Two sets, over change of tide. Only 3 small snapper all released. A hard days fishing in perfect weather. Another person set their longline out and only managed one legal snapper.

Seems quite slow and tough at the moment. Any closer beaches to Auckland that people have tried putting a longline out on! Murawai swell is always too big for a kayak haha

IP Logged

STAY FIT

Reply #42 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 1:10am
Print Post  
i always find that long lining is good early on in the season round auckland and after christmas it just gets worse and worse. You are better off using rod and reel as there are so many small fish around. and then using techniques to target the bigger fish and lure fishing.

IP Logged

ANT
Forum Font

Reply #43 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 4:31am
Print Post  
I came back with a limit bag off my kayak last Saturday morning, Army Bay . Patchy fishing, lots of snmall ones in small pockets. Some guys came in with only one or two, otheres with none.  More fun softbaiting than long lining!  Wink

IP Logged

MartinMac

Quack! Quack! Boom! Boom!

Reply #44 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
got limit in rangi channel last saturday drifting softies around the lighthouse and by gardners gap.. biggest went just 6lb. Theres a heap around.. just  Gringotta find em

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards