Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) FINN "A new chapter" (Read 14650 times)
trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Re: FINN "A new chapter"
Reply #30 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Well its been a busy past 7 months, Finn and Whitey have been working well together, both bailing and indicating on the goats, Finn has caught and bailed goats by herself and also worked well in close, she has been involved with 300+kills over this period and over 100 while working besides Whitey in front.

Finns indicating and bailing has reached a hunting standard that is more than adequate and is productive by herself. She still has a way to go before I would consider her a "fully going dog" however.

Finn had all of the foundations instilled prior to hitting the hills (seems the training methods are well in use now  Wink), EXPERIENCE for both of us as a team will make her/us from here on in. I have very high standards and expectations of my dogs, I hope with consistent work my expectation will be exceeded.

Finn has been extremely easy to train and hunt over, she is following well in Jill, Flash, Zap and Brews footsteps

A few photos of the journey over the past 7 months

Finns 1st find and bail byherslf

A good bail up on "ol one horn"

A small mob of goats indicated on a clearing off the main ridge.

a thumping billy caught on the bail

a mob indicated and snuck in with both of the girls.

At just over 2 years old she is developing well, I am still not rushing things but she has handled everything in her stride, I have shot a number EASY deer over her and starting to up the antee now with some close quarter bush hunting action.

We had a few enjoyable trips over the roar on the reds and sika after Whitey .

A few reds and sika over winter have bitten the dust as we began to get into the local red deer population, with some local day hunts (a few more will too over the next couple of weeks Smiley)

Finn and Whitey with a roaring red, was hand to hand combat here..

2 sika spikers, one boned out and in the pack and the other on the back, a good load!

Finn 1st close quarter bush deer, both rapted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWxWrUkzDXo
Finns 1st bush hunted deer, up close and personal.

I'm very happy with Finn progress, considering she has only been heading into the bush for 7 months, plenty more to come from her I expect.

Time to start work on MOSS

When it comes to hunting dogs, to maximise your opportunity for success, do your home work, start with suitable material to work with, stick to the basics and get it right 1st time round.

hot barrels

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2017 at 5:58pm by trusty222 »  

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #31 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 2:26am
Print Post  
Wonderful! Cool

Makes my dog look like a hoon.  Smiley

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #32 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Great stuff with Finn mate, may she have many shots fired over her

IP Logged

kune

Reply #33 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Fantastic posts. Thank you for sharing

IP Logged

deerstalker
Forum Font

Reply #34 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Good stuff Trusty, looks like Finns turning into a little demon  Cool

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #35 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 9:53am
Print Post  
She is a good looking dog trusty. She has nice dark eyes.  How many dogs do you have going at a time? How does it work, do you take more dogs if there is going to be bailing work and indicator if it is more stalking? Do you give the dogs to staff to use or Do staff need to supply their own dogs?   

Cheers, hairy.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #36 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 1:11am
Print Post  
deerstalker wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 8:52am:
Good stuff Trusty, looks like Finns turning into a little demon   

thanks mate, she has the basics nailed but still got plenty of learning to do,  maybe "Gem the black dog" could give her a few tips.

hairy wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 9:53am:
How many dogs do you have going at a time?

An established hunter primarily on goats will have 2 dogs minimum, most hunters have an indicating dog and a bailing dog or dogs that are multipurpose (indicate and bail) or a bailing team 2+ dogs, if your work involves deer control then a good indicator or haulers are a must

If you have an indicator and bailer then you have the option to hunt with the bailer at heal or in behind and shoot what you can indicate and either track up any escapees or bail them straight away or of have the bailer out ranging. It is very difficult to get a dog that is "top notch at both", most dogs excel at one or the other.

In 22 yrs, I have trained and worked only 6 dogs from pups, of which 3 finished their careers before their time. All worked to a good standard, with several having that X factor.

I have 2 main dogs and young dog coming on, I train my dogs to be multipurpose indicator/bailers and work them according to the block characteristics, I like to have a longer range bailer in my team for those lean thick blocks, but everyone is different.

I learnt the hard way several years ago. Having developed a very good team to having Brew pass away and within months having Whitey do her stifle (back knee ligaments, full rupture) and then Finn breaking her fema, absolute horror run Cry , thankfully Whitey and Finn recovered well and back to full steam, no doubt it will catch up them at the other end.

Whitey is my main dog at age 5 and is a bailer/indicator, Finn age 26 mths, who is training to be a bailer/indicator and  is coming on well but requires experience and more work on the hill and young Moss who will be starting this season and will be trained as a bailer.

How does it work, do you take more dogs if there is going to be bailing work and indicator if it is more stalking?

I always hunt with 2 dogs on goats.

Topography, vegetation and population dictates the method that delivers the best outcomes, both bailing and indicating dogs have their place. The traits of the particular hunter also determines which hunting method they prefer and choose to employ. Then it is putting the best suited hunter and dog combo into an area to maximise their effectiveness. It is good to have a mixture of hunters that employ different methodologies to expose the target animals to a range of control methods, this way the target does not learn avoidance techniques.

Do staff need to supply their own dogs?   

In our crew each hunter owns and trains their own dogs, I do know one guy that supplies dogs to his guys.

In our crew, all new hunters to the game are required to train a bailer for starters, this gets them effective quicker and across a large array of terrain and veg types and teaches hunters that goats can live in some pretty terrible spots.

I work with the new recruits for as long as it takes to get a dog started, this not only involves training a young dog but showing a hunter how to work the dog and put it in the right spot to maximise it ability and develop its confidence. It is then up to hunter to put the effort in at work and also during their breaks to get the dog up and going ASAP, its that personal pride and competitive drive to achieve that most hunters have.

Any hunter that gets a start in our crew is in an extremely fortunate position as they are immersed into a crew with very experienced hunters and dog trainers, they can also see some extremely well trained dogs work, how to work and look after them, they have a benchmark to aspire too. All of the team are always more than willing to help someone get up to speed. It can take a dog 2-3 years (or 3-4 years of age) to really get up to a good going standard. For anyone to believe putting simple control measures on a dog prior to it gaining real long term experience shows naivety and lack of experience. What took me and others, up to decades to learn is passed on in a matter of years. I was and have been lucky to work with some very good hunters and dog handlers when I started and over the years, so it is just passing on the knowledge.

I take great satisfaction in seeing some ones dog putting it together catching there 1st goat on the job Smiley.

I have had a loan dog that I have leant out to new hunters for their young dogs to learn off "ol SCRUFF" he was a cracker, would work for anyone if they treated him OK, sadly hes old now and retired (15-16yrs).

heres a few snaps of the Scruffer, the ladies love him, gods only know why Grin

Scruff keeping a young Brew warm on the Nardoo tops

Scruff and Zap "da Rat" an another thumper

hot barrels
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2017 at 6:13pm by trusty222 »  

WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #37 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Sounds like a lot of planning and strategy as to how to run the team before you even got to the hunt. Sounds like a hell of a good lifestyle but I think you need to be commited to it to.make it work. Cheers for the post. Very interesting. Cool

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

deerstalker
Forum Font

Reply #38 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Gem has plenty of tips if you want Finn to become an expert at greasing women for pats, being a gutsache or misbehaving  Grin Shes in the same boat as Finn, still just a pup with a long way to go and alot to learn, same as me too come to think of it Grin The forums are a bit like social media, only the highlights and best bits make it on, but it can be quite different in reality  Grin

trusty222 wrote on Aug 27th, 2016 at 1:11am:
deerstalker wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 8:52am:
Good stuff Trusty, looks like Finns turning into a little demon   

thanks mate, she has the basics nailed but still got plenty of learning to do,  maybe "Gem the black dog" could give her a few tips.

How many dogs do you have going at a time?

An established hunter primarily on goats will have 2 dogs minimum, most hunters have an indicating dog and a bailing dog or dogs that are multipurpose (indicate and bail) or a bailing team 2+ dogs, if your work involves deer control then a good indicator or haulers are a must

If you have an indicator and bailer then you have the option to hunt with the bailer at heal or in behind and shoot what you can indicate and either track up any escapees or bail them straight away or of have the bailer out ranging. It is very difficult to get a dog that is "top notch at both", most dogs excel at one or the other.

In 22 yrs, I have trained and worked only 6 dogs from pups, of which 3 finished their careers before their time. All worked to a good standard, with several having that X factor.

I have 2 main dogs and young dog coming on, I train my dogs to be multipurpose indicator/bailers and work them according to the block characteristics, I like to have a longer range bailer in my team for those lean thick blocks, but everyone is different.

I learnt the hard way several years ago. Having developed a very good team to having Brew pass away and within months having Whitey do her stifle (back knee ligaments, full rupture) and then Finn breaking her fema, absolute horror run Cry , thankfully Whitey and Finn recovered well and back to full steam, no doubt it will catch up them at the other end.

Whitey is my main dog at age 5 and is a bailer/indicator, Finn age 26 mths, who is training to be a bailer/indicator and  is coming on well but requires experience and more work on the hill and young Moss who will be starting this season and will be trained as a bailer.

How does it work, do you take more dogs if there is going to be bailing work and indicator if it is more stalking?

I always hunt with 2 dogs on goats.

Topography, vegetation and population dictates the method that delivers the best outcomes, both bailing and indicating dogs have their place. The traits of the particular hunter also determines which hunting method they prefer and choose to employ. Then it is putting the best suited hunter and dog combo into an area to maximise their effectiveness. It is good to have a mixture of hunters that employ different methodologies to expose the target animals to a range of control methods, this way the target does not learn avoidance techniques.

Do staff need to supply their own dogs?   

In our crew each hunter owns and trains their own dogs, I do know one guy that supplies dogs to his guys.

In our crew, all new hunters to the game are required to train a bailer for starters, this gets them effective quicker and across a large array of terrain and veg types and teaches hunters that goats can live in some pretty terrible spots.

I work with the new recruits for as long as it takes to get a dog started, this not only involves training a young dog but showing a hunter how to work the dog and put it in the right spot to maximise it ability and develop its confidence. It is then up to hunter to put the effort in at work and also during their breaks to get the dog up and going ASAP, its that personal pride and competitive drive to achieve that most hunters have.

Any hunter that gets a start in our crew is in an extremely fortunate position as they are immersed into a crew with very experienced hunters and dog trainers, they can also see some extremely well trained dogs work, how to work and look after them, they have a benchmark to aspire too. All of the team are always more than willing to help someone get up to speed. It can take a dog 2-3 years (or 3-4 years of age) to really get up to a good going standard. For anyone to believe putting simple control measures on a dog prior to it gaining real long term experience shows naivety and lack of experience. What took me and others, up to decades to learn is passed on in a matter of years. I was and have been lucky to work with some very good hunters and dog handlers when I started and over the years, so it is just passing on the knowledge.

I take great satisfaction in seeing some ones dog putting it together catching there 1st goat on the job Smiley.

I have had a loan dog that I have leant out to new hunters for their young dogs to learn off "ol SCRUFF" he was a cracker, would work for anyone if they treated him OK, sadly hes old now and retired (15-16yrs).

heres a few snaps of the Scruffer, the ladies love him, gods only know why Grin

Scruff keeping a young Brew warm on the Nardoo tops

Scruff and Zap "da Rat" an another thumper

hot barrels

IP Logged

Kane h

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #39 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
great thread deserves a bump.. training my young heading dog up and learning about real working dog training is great buz loving it

IP Logged

Stagrinon
Donor Member

No pain No gain.

Reply #40 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Cool Cool   Cheers Trusty. I   Don't think, Ash and I are quite ready to turn pro.    Grin Grin

IP Logged

SBrown

Reply #41 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Cheers Trusty. A really valuable contribution to the forum. Finn looks great. If my pup turns out a tenth as good, I'll be wrapt.

If you've got time and feel like sharing, I'd be interested to know how you taught "slow" to your dogs?

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #42 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Enjoyed sharing your experiences with your dogs trusty.
Brought back a few memories of my years spent culling.
It's rare to train a dog that can bail-point and trail and know the difference. Bail a goat with noise and wind a deer in silence.
That's a credit to you and your training techniques. I'am sure that hunters wishing to train a hunting dog can get some valuable info from your experiences and training methods.
The vid of you and Finn hunting deer reminds me a lot of my huntaway bitch Jill and me hunting fallow deer for camp meat in the Richmond Ranges. Excellent.
Keep up the good work-and thanks for sharing your experiences.
Cheers.
https://image.ibb.co/mVS02x/jill_and_deer.jpg

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #43 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks team, glad you have enjoyed Finns journey, while she’s has the basics nailed down the learning process doesn’t stop (for both her and her handler). Heres a clip I made and posted on the YouTube a while ago, thought I’d add to Finns thread

https://youtu.be/1LPyEVPQ-Xg

Her turn to show her wears over the  roar

Hot barrels

WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #44 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
great watch that was indeed,love the control...how dog stays at that slow stalk at same distance from you...... working hard to achieve something even remotely like it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards