Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) FINN "A new chapter" (Read 12078 times)
trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

FINN "A new chapter"
Jul 18th, 2014 at 3:39am
Print Post  
After several weeks of looking, I have made the addition to the team.

FINN is a 9 1/2 week old tri coloured, heading dog, bitch. She is well bred from working/trialling dog lines (parent’s medium and strong eyed heading dogs). She handled the 6 hour drive very well and has settled into her box and new home well.

Ideally and all going to plan, Finn will be trained to be an indicating dog (working on wind and ground scent) and also bail (goats) on command. Of course sometimes plans will need to be adjusted, there will be many factors that I will need to take into consideration during our journey. As Finn matures, her personality and natural ability will help guide us with the type of training and how I harness and maximise her strengths and mitigate her weakness’s. We will need to work together as a team. Training a dog well and achieving your goal is not rocket science.

For the past 2 decades I have learnt and am still learning from many different people and sources. How I have trained has consistently delivered the goods in an extremely demanding industry, where success is measured on the ability of your dog. I like to set up a dog so success is the only outcome for the session, keep it simple and consistent, with everything from feeding to indicating and shooting an animal.

CONTROL is your biggest asset. If you can stop a dog before it makes a mistake no bad habits get a chance to develop (far easier than finding a remedy 12 months down the track).

All dogs will hunt; it is a case of working together, implementing what has been learnt in training and  by putting the dog in the right place at the right time, thereby maximising their key attributes (scenting ability) to achieve our final goal.

For the duration of her training I will post how and what training I do. I hope this will be a resource for anyone training a dog in the future, which I will post in the “dog training section”.

Hot barrels and enjoy the journey

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2017 at 5:26pm by trusty222 »  

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

ezdirect.
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: FINN "A new chapter"
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 4:19am
Print Post  
What are her bloodlines?

revertetur firmior    resident camp possum
IP Logged

kaweka_killer
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Good looking pup, should be a cracker. Will be following this as everyone knows I love my working dogs. Too many people think only dogs from well bred hunting lines will work.
Go the mighty heading dog.

Pack, Dog and Rifle

IP Logged

Vazza
Donor Member

hunting... best shared
with mates

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 6:00am
Print Post  
kaweka_killer wrote on Jul 18th, 2014 at 4:34am:
Good looking pup, should be a cracker. Will be following this as everyone knows I love my working dogs. Too many people think only dogs from well bred hunting lines will work.
Go the mighty heading dog.

+1

looking forward to seeing how this wee girl shapes up trusty... she is s nice looking wee pup... I was watching a young heading bitch working this morning and had the "itch"

IP Logged

deerstalker
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Will be watching this with interest Jason,
Here's Gem, 3month old Heading x lab, will be either indicator or bailer depending on how she goes down the track same story as Finn, shes been a pleasure so far, couldn't ask for a better natured pup to start off on.

Cheers
Kobey

IP Logged

skippy
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Awesome we pup mate, looking forward to
seeing the progress.
Cheers
Skippy

IP Logged

kaweka_killer
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Good looking dog there Deerstalker. Recon that mix will be a real cracker. Keep up the photos.

Pack, Dog and Rifle

IP Logged

kirky

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Hi Trusty

I'd be interested to hear from you what characteristics you look for in a heading dog pup for hunting purposes. Do you generally go for pups out of stronger eyed lines when after an indicating dog?

Cheers

Sam

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
neat looking pup Jason Cool
i will certainly be following this thread with interest! Smiley

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2014 at 8:26am
Print Post  
she has the neatest markings...plurry nice to follow a patch of white back to camp on a dark evening Smiley
best of luck with her.

IP Logged

nzspearo78
Just Joined

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Great looking pup!

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
ezdirect. wrote on Jul 18th, 2014 at 4:19am:
What are her bloodlines?

Hi EZ
Of the 6 dogs I have raised from pups, 3 have been purchased, Jill my first (foundation bitch for my line 19 yrs ago) and 2 from trade me (Brew and Finn), the others have been purpose bred (Flash, Zap and Whitey) .

I am not involved with trialling at all, but am told that FINNs lineage derives from Childs DEAL and Wickhams SMOKE. From what I have been told lately BREW looks to have come from DEAL lines as well (markings and conformation)

Even though breeding is important it is still no guarantee that a dog will be good, but does however maximise your chances of success and shows a history of bidability and ability to excel/perform. I feel that being able to see a pups parents work and see there nature is also very important. I think that choosing a pup you like the look of and click with is a must, don't get a pup based solely on breeding if you don't like the look of it.

As I have said numerous times, with working dogs, bad dogs do not last, only the good get through (especially when worked by experienced quality handlers). Good dogs can come in many different breeds, shapes and sizes, but it is better to maximise your chance of success with proven blood (whether it be from hunting lines or in this case stock working lines). The rest is up to training and getting the best from your dog and the bond you form with it.

kirky wrote on Jul 18th, 2014 at 9:27pm:
Hi Trusty

I'd be interested to hear from you what characteristics you look for in a heading dog pup for hunting purposes. Do you generally go for pups out of stronger eyed lines when after an indicating dog?

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam
See above comments to EZ. Yes, I like to go with a stronger eyed heading dog line, they tend to be light on there feet and have a great controlled stalk on them, PM sent

Micky Duck wrote on Jul 19th, 2014 at 8:26am:
she has the neatest markings...plurry nice to follow a patch of white back to camp on a dark evening Smiley
best of luck with her.

Yes indeed, getting home in the touchlight is a breeze following a white tipped tail or in Whiteys case 23 kg moon beam Grin.

hot barrels

WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #12 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 2:08am
Print Post  

Finn catching a wind drifting down the creek

Finn is now 18 months old, we have "CLICKED" and bonded extremely well, where she trusts me completely. She has been on the job for the past month and coming along very well for the time spent on the hill and doing all I expect of her at this stage. I feel that starting her later than any of my previous dogs has been a great advantage for her, her age has given her added maturity and ability to perform much better than a pup started at 1/2 her age, her training has set her up well. As I said in an earlier post I would like Finn to indicate (deer, goats) as well as find and bail goats on command.

Whiteys new protégé

Her training included all of the basics, I concentrated on her only encountering the experiences I wanted and kept in full control of the situations. She was introduced to many different situations and experiences from a young age. As a control measure she was never allowed to exit the kennel/run without a long line on, this stayed on until I was 100% confident of our stop. I have not had to have a long line on while hunting, her distance and walk on command was instilled from an early age, the ability to stop her if required makes the rope redundant.

Finns run and kennel with lines at the ready

The basic controls, SIT, IN, GET ON were sorted quickly. Firearm training, a speak up command,  camp manners, being kennelled on a chain, vehicle travel etc were all part of the deal. When ever we spend time together I make it a training opportunity, whether its practicing her stop, or walking on and sticking to close distance.

Finn on the board

As most of you know I do the basic stop training with a place board, getting this rock solid allows me to implement other facets of our hunting training. Being able to stop a dog immediately minimises the opportunity for a young dog to develop any bad habits which in turn negates the need to implement corrective training down the track.

Stop means stop, you know its working when you have plenty of distraction for a young dog

I try an make the most of the time we spent together to reinforce each little part of the hunting procedure, this way when we do get out for a hunt she already understands the steps we are going through.

Once I was confident with my control I introduce target specific training, this was done under a hunting condition approach. This gave me the confidence that if Finn got a nose full of these scents she would target the source and work us in.

Tails stashed in the bush for Finn to find on the wind, I stash both goat and deer skin

and onto the real thing, good old Steelo the pet goat

Though this all sounds good in training/theory only EXPERIENCE and getting out on the hill will put the training into practice.

DISASTER STRIKES
This time last year she was all set up with her base foundations to make a start "on the hill" but due to being bowled by one of the other dogs during the evening run just prior to Christmas 2014 had her off to the vet, "broken fema" confirmed, under the knife she went and 3-4 months of recuperation was required. The operation went well and she is as good as new, again the vets at Massey did a great job (this was only one of the major surgeries my team had this year, but that's another story.)

Finn, we can rebuild her

After a full recovery Finns first trip was a deer hunt in the middle of winter with an old mate of mine. This trip resulted in plenty of snow, very few seen, but did allow Finn to show her wears when she tracked a stag that my mate had winged (very solidly) and finished it off at very close range of about 7m with the old 243, Finn had set up on the stag  which was lying in the tussock, great practice for her 1st encounter and an easy track and indicate.

My mates tidy head

Next on the agenda was a bit of goat training, I was planning on doing a bit of bailing if possible. In the past I have always trained the two methods separately. Problems can occur when training bailing and indicating at the same time. I feel that with Finns maturity and putting a clear boundaries on the two methods I would try a different approach which I feel she could handle. I was off to a small DOC bush block in the Wairarapa, Whitey and Belle accompanied us on this day trip, we made our way up the densely vegetated stream, with Whitey hunting out and Finn in toe, Whitey was soon on and had a young billy bailed up on a bluff, Belle was in full voice and Finn hesitantly watched on and gave out the odd bark, I was happy, they day continued with a few more goats falling ill of the team, Finns confidence grew with each animal and bail up.

Whitey, Finn and Belle, ready to be unleashed on the local goat population

one of the goats we got for the day

TO WORK
Our south island contracts offered the perfect opportunity for Finn to get to work, animal numbers were low but Finn got into her work with Whitey on the 1st day

Finns 1st goat while on the pay roll, full on bail up (with Whiteys)

Finn had a few other finds and bail ups (with Whitey) over the past month but also indicated well, is easy to read, with wind scent and can track ground scent well, in fact all of the goats that we shot indicating Finn would have nailed the lot by herself, with us sneaking in a slotting quiet a few, both in heavy bush and sneaking up in the tussock. I make her find every kill under full control, which will be great practice for her when the time comes and I really require her to perform.

Indicated goats, good find down through some tricky Karst country and thick scrub

Onto the high tops,a sneak in and another 7 tails for the belt, Finn and Whitey happy with the outcome

I cannot be happier with Finns progress so far, starting her a bit older in the bush seems to have work well for her.

It is still only early days but she is showing potential, time will tell if she can carry on. I know she will have plenty of animals over her in the next 6 months.

I'll keep you posted, deer are on the "HIT" list over the break

Hot Barrels

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2017 at 5:35pm by trusty222 »  

WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #13 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 3:48am
Print Post  
That is a great report on a great dog. Well done to you. Cool

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #14 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Finn looks to be coming on very well Jason but I am worried about Whitey.

In this PC age is it acceptable to call a dog Whitey?

Putting more thought into the dogs name would it not be better to call it Neutral just so there is no mention of colour therefore stopping the rage of the PC brigade.

Just a though mate  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards