Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) DPT vs Hardy vs Gunworks Suppressor Review (Read 2169 times)
ChrisF
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: DPT vs Hardy vs Gunworks Suppressor Review
Reply #60 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 7:39am
Print Post  
No , I have not forgotten about MAE , I think for the money you cannot beat them , $230 for my muzzle 308 SS MAE( 100% SS )I have 2 308 ones and 1 22mag ( for a 22 hornet ) .
They are 1/4 of the price of say a BT can , the BT can is twice the weight & has better sound reduction , so different niches .
I do wish MAE would maybe make a version that mounts onto a brake , like AAC , & put a few more baffles in the muzzle forward cans , even if thats going to make the can a wee bit longer .

Looking at a least a few more MAE cans soon.

Later  Chris

IP Logged

ChrisF
Forum Font

Reply #61 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Hi ODL ,

Have you any pics that you can release on the 308 QD cans that go over a brake ?
I may have to buy one .

Later  Chris

IP Logged

ODL
Just Joined

Speak softly from a bangstick

Reply #62 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 5:01am
Print Post  
I will get a video of the QD prototype cleaned up and post a link as soon as I have it.

Regarding the materials and manufacturing methodology:  The material used is 90% titanium, 6% aluminium and 4% vanadium also known as Ti-6-4 Grade 5 Titanium. The method is actually Selective Laser Melting although it was originally called "Laser Sintering".  Having been exposed to sintered materials in the 80's, I almost gave this technology a pass as the old sintering created a type of cast part. 

The way parts are created now is far different and has no resemblance to the old sintered methods at all.  The as built strength from the plate is around 1000 UTS and 900 yield.  After parts are tapped and any hand clean up, they go back into the oven for stress relief, heat treat and nitriding.  At that point, the UTS is around 1200 MPA and yield is around 1000 MPA.  The nitriding also provides a hard surface both inside and out that ranges from 62 Rock C at the surface gradually dropping to 36 Rock C by 28 microns deep.  This is advantageous for baffle longevity.

This method of manufacture provides the only true solid suppressor construction since all the material is fused to the entire structure in one monolithic part.  This allows for thinning out some areas and thickening others as needed locally.  Many manufacturers emulate this by fully welding the baffle stack together and then welding the ends on.

Most of our cans are designed for semi auto fire.  The can I sent to Canada for sound testing was also tested using burst fire for 200 rounds.  I have the can on my desk and the finish still looks new!  It did get some erosion since the blast plate was too far aft for FA but I was not aware this test would be run although it is handy that it was.

I have one can that is built for limited full auto and is currently being tested by an overseas group.  The testing regime is 1000 rounds while testing for POA - POI shift with 3 removals and re installs, group deviation with and without suppressor, normal fire and three times in the test a rapid fire stress test is performed with 20 rounds fast semi followed by 20 rounds burst followed by 30 rounds full auto.  The can is very hot at this stage. 

This is the SBR can that is out of stock on our site.  It is available for special order or if it is popular enough I will stock them.  I made one up in 15-5PH stainless as well but the titanium model was preferred by the testing group.

Oceania-Defence.com
IP Logged

ODL
Just Joined

Speak softly from a bangstick

Reply #63 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 5:20am
Print Post  
ChrisF wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 12:33am:
If you look at the late 80s , the US Navy , put out a request , for a suppressor for 308/300WM rifles , where the cost & weight where not to be main factors , the main factor was maximum sound suppression ...

the cans where large & long , 1.65 inches in dia & 17.24 inches long , out of 100%  304SS , weighed 1.66kg ( 58.5 ozs ) .

Using 308 std ammo , it reduced the signuture by 32 dB ( A ) , & with subsonic by 34 dB ( A ) , same for 300WM , but peak sound held longer .

Bean counters put out RFP's where weight and size is not an issue but real people have to hump that gear all around creation.  Today, there are many cans that are doing as well as that custom built monstrosity that weighs a kilo and a half that are half the length and weight.

I plan on getting a bolt can down to the mid 130's with standard ammo and will try my best to get a decent size AR10 can to 138 at the muzzle and ear with a 20" barrel.  Should know next week.

Oceania-Defence.com
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #64 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 8:46am
Print Post  
went out wobbly shooting this weekend. fired 30-40 shots from 7.62x39mm and mate fired 30ish from .308 mine has a spartan on it and his is also a gunworks overbarrel..looks similar but has fatter mid section and more knurling. both sounded about the same and sure were pleasing to be around..no more ringing ears and shooting close to each other but at different heights on a ridge knob ment better area covered without deafening each other. didnt really realise just how good this would be but sure are stoked now.

IP Logged

Cowboy06

Allways a good day when
shootn guns

Reply #65 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 9:32am
Print Post  
I have 2 rifles Browning a bolts in 270 available at the moment. Mine has an original highcountry sport suppressor over barrel which I bought in 2002. Weighs 750grams!! Is very quiet and reduces a ton of recoil. The other rifle has a hardy like the one shown in this forum. It is way lighter but noticeably louder than the highcountry sport one. Sonic also do a suppressor similar to the DPT. Have put one on my AR and are very light and compact.

IP Logged

Prtnd Huntr

Reply #66 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 1:09am
Print Post  
The other thing to consider when using a suppressor is using subsonic rounds as this would help reduce the noise even more.  I am looking at putting a suppressor on my 308 but none of the info on here so far is helping me decide which one to get.
I had been told ZIGGLIANI suppressors are the way forward.  Does anybody have one and can tell me how they perform Smiley

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Prtnd Huntr wrote on Dec 6th, 2014 at 1:09am:
The other thing to consider when using a suppressor is using subsonic rounds as this would help reduce the noise even more.  I am looking at putting a suppressor on my 308 but none of the info on here so far is helping me decide which one to get.
I had been told ZIGGLIANI suppressors are the way forward.  Does anybody have one and can tell me how they perform Smiley

Ah, the High Country Sport mentioned in the posting b4 your's is a Zigliani.  Smiley

http://hcssuppressors.com/

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #68 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Prtnd Huntr wrote on Dec 6th, 2014 at 1:09am:

using GW spartan a subsonic round from 7.62x39mm is quieter...or seems to be than .22 through moderator......twice Ive shot rabbit at 10-15 yards and its mate hasnt moved till I tried to operate bolt to reload. Wink

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #69 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
My son nailed a nice fat yearling freehand in the beech late yesterday avo @ 90m . Still had the bipod on but had no complaints about the Tok Can for balance.Right thru base of neck. So we got all the meat.

IP Logged

NZVarminter
Donor Member

Reply #70 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Aw... got all excited these fore a minute when I read you were aiming to get a bolt gun suppressor down to 130... but I think you mean the sound signature down to 130 db... I want the weight down to 130g!

IP Logged

Pebblesrc

Reply #71 - Dec 9th, 2014 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
NZVarminter wrote on Dec 7th, 2014 at 10:06pm:
Aw... got all excited these fore a minute when I read you were aiming to get a bolt gun suppressor down to 130... but I think you mean the sound signature down to 130 db... I want the weight down to 130g!

Down to $130 would be nice too, can but only dream

IP Logged

BradP
Donor Member

Reply #72 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 6:45am
Print Post  
which one would have the most recoil reduction? I currently have a mae muzzle forward can, I would prefer a overbarrel but would these offer more performace then the mae can I have?

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #73 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
We nailed a fat stag late last nite with our Tok Can. The first shot took a whisker of fur off the top of the neck. The stag put his head up wondering what the commotion was and then got one just a smidgen lower. Sure the lack of noise was a great advantage.Lovely seeing all the action via Swaro EL's.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #74 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 8:25am
Print Post  
bump...cant find the one with link to testing?????
anyone????

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards