Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) DPT vs Hardy vs Gunworks Suppressor Review (Read 2173 times)
seventenths
Forum Font

DPT vs Hardy vs Gunworks Suppressor Review
Jun 11th, 2014 at 7:47am
Print Post  
This is a carry on from the previous thread where I was fortunate enough to have CraigC send me his Dan Hardy Gen 4 suppressor to test.

Previous Thread
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1401860437/all

So for this test I was fortunate enough to have a Dan Hardy Generation four suppressor, Canterbury Gunworks Suppressor & a DPT modular suppressor to test

Our tests and the results shown below are what we achieved and observed and are an unbiased report and even we were surprised with the results!

On this occasion I had two friends accompany me to the range where we ran two tests, one was with the sound metre and the other was based on our hearing.

The ammo that we used this time was some Barnaul 55 grain .223 ammo that was on hand rather than my reloads as we were using a fair bit of ammo for all the tests.

Gunworks Suppressor
http://www.gunworks.co.nz/suppressors.html

WEIGHT: 357 grams
OVERALL LENGTH: 320 mm
MUZZLE FORWARD: 130 mm

This is my personal suppressor which has aluminium internals as opposed to their stainless ones so I can keep weight down. Its served me very well.

DPT Suppressor
http://www.dpt.co.nz/

WEIGHT: 260 Grams
OVERALL LENGTH: 205 mm
MUZZLE FORWARD: 105 mm

Dan Hardy Suppressors
http://hardyrifleengineering.co.nz/store/index.php/suppressors.html

WEIGHT: 303 grams
OVERALL LENGTH: 205 mm
MUZZLE FORWARD: 80mm

For the initial test we tested the suppressors based on our hearing.

I had my two mates stand behind me 7 metres away with their backs to me as I fired three rounds through each suppressor in an unknown order so they could tell me which one was the quietest to loudest without knowing which suppressor I was using.

The result was they all soundest similar in sound but the Hardy suppressor was a tad louder.

We ran this test again but with the boys standing seven metres to my right and there they commented that the Gunworks and DPT were of the same level but the Hardy was distinctly louder.

I'm not sure if this is due to the ports at the end of the Hardy suppressor which may send sound outwards as it does with a muzzle brake!

Even as the shooter I noticed the Hardy to be louder when compared to the others.

The second test was with the use of the sound metre that we had. While this isn't a flash metering device it does give an "indication" of sound level so take the readings at face value but as I've said before and i'll say it again the only way to truly test sound is via the use of a proper sound testing laboratory which I don't have access to!

The sound metre was placed just to my left as I fired a number of shots which were averaged out to give these results:

Canterbury Gunworks: 115.5 db
Dan Hardy: 115.9 db
DPT: 113.7 db

In all honesty we spent more time evaluating the suppressors through the use of our own hearing where we all noticed the Hardy as being louder so based on what BC said on the last thread where he took one baffle off his DPT and didn't notice any sound reduction I was keen to also try that.

BC... your right... I didn't notice much sound increase so I took another baffle off and sure enough the sound level was now up there with the Hardy suppressor in that it was louder with the loss of two baffles!

We weighed the DPT minus the two baffles and it came in at 206 grams

Below photo shows the DPT shortened which gave the same sound signature as the Hardy. I've also placed the suppressors side by side to show how they sit on the rifle as the Hardy does sit back further on the barrel.

Accuracy
Unlike the last post where I put up some target pictures I didn't on this occasion however I must say that all three suppressors helped produced under half inch groups at 100 metres when I switched over to my reloads to check the suppressors for accuracy.

Conclusion
While some may argue with our test results I haven't posted this thread to discourage or incourage purchasing one suppressor over the other but as a mere unbiased means to inform people of what we found as there are always posts from people asking for comparisons.

While some people will argue my use of the sound meter then so be it but that's why we also put the suppressors through the sound hearing test to listen to which one is louder.

I could have videoed the results but then again it comes down to how well the equipment I'm using to record the sound and again how well is the sound on your computer to play it which is just to many variables to contemplate!

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Bagheera
Forum Senior

Re: DPT vs Hardy vs Gunworks Suppressor Review
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Seventenths this is an immaculate experiment.
Specially interesting as I've just heard back from Beretta who I asked for advice and they said they mostly used Hardy to supply and  install. There could be other good reasons for that.  I hadn't previously considered Hardy so it's good to see a review of it.  I think your idea of having blinded observers rate them subjectively is very "sound".  Considering the technical difficulties in measuring muzzle blast.

Thanks also for trying the modular minus some modules.  Very interesting the apparent effectiveness of the overbarrel part vs in front in noise reduction.  Maybe the DPT scored a bit better because it had more forward of the muzzle when it had the full 5.  And having more back over the barrel doesn't really pull the same weight.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 8:16am
Print Post  
great work..thankyou for your efforts and for sharing results. Wink

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Cheers 7/10ths. Great read there

AIM  
IP Logged

scoped
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Yep hardy cans aren't the be all and end all of the market. DPT makes a great product.

Id be interested to see a test of all the hardy models back to back

Anticipation is half the fun!

IP Logged

tikka

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 9:30am
Print Post  
It's good to see a review of sort. Well done.

IP Logged

Kiwi Greg
Donor Member

Terminator Products<br
/>

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Would have been interesting to know the sound meter reading for an unsuppressed rifle shot.

I tried using a "cheapy" sound meter for similar testing once & gave up once I realised the data was severely flawed & worthless.

I have a mate that built up "proper" sound gear for testing suppressor sound signatures, the microphone/pressure sensor alone was $7K  Shocked

I must get around to finding some time to do some testing with it sometime  Smiley

<div style=
IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
on the info site they state any noise above 80 db is cause for concern Shocked
so much for suppressors,,wouldnt be without mine tho

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Lot of effort.Great info.Thanks for taking time to do that.Must help people to make a more informed decision. Wink

IP Logged

PK33
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
sako wrote on Jun 11th, 2014 at 7:33pm:
Lot of effort.Great info.Thanks for taking time to do that.Must help people to make a more informed decision. Wink

+1
Looks like DPT are going to be busy boys

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
That just reinforces my previous thoughts on suppressors. DPT are producing an excellent product that for the price is very very hard to beat. Cheers for carrying out the test  Cool

IP Logged

LJP
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Awesome! thanks for that you just made my suppressor purchasing dilemma so much easier.

Long range rifles. Why run you'll only die tired.

IP Logged

luckey
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
So seventenths have I got this right: the DPT with 2 baffles removed is equally quiet and is shorter muzzle forward and lighter than the Hardy?  How is the length & weight with only 1 baffle removed - i.e. what is the length & weight of each removable baffle? cheers

IP Logged

Zer0ed
Forum Font

Zeroed locked n loaded

Reply #13 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 12:34am
Print Post  
Another thought or test could be to add baffles to the DPT suppressor so it gains some weight and length so it is similar to the gunworks suppressor... say to 300grams and over all length of 300mm and then see how much quieter it is then with extra baffles for itl still come out shorter and lighter than the gunworks supressor  Smiley

Kimber W/S 243 85gr Barnes & Tikka T3 7mmRemMag LRXd

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #14 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 4:05am
Print Post  
luckey wrote on Jun 11th, 2014 at 11:55pm:
So seventenths have I got this right: the DPT with 2 baffles removed is equally quiet and is shorter muzzle forward and lighter than the Hardy?  How is the length & weight with only 1 baffle removed - i.e. what is the length & weight of each removable baffle? cheers

25gms and 17mm according to their website  Wink.

Just got my DPT a few days back, went and sighted in yesterday and took it out to test it on some stinkies.  No complaints at all from the 3 I shot  Grin

Thanks for posting

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards