Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic hilux 4y vs 3l (Read 1977 times)
270DM
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

hilux 4y vs 3l
Apr 22nd, 2014 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
can anyone tell me what the 4y engine is like in comparison to the 3L ? power, reliability, fuel consumption.
thanks

IP Logged

smokin salmon
Forum Senior

Re: hilux 4y vs 3l
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
4y engines are getting on in the years now.Thirsty buggers,carb that can play up a bit but you can tune them yourself.Plugs and points if anyone is old enough to remember how to change them  Grin.
Costs me more petrol to tow the jet boat than actually go boating  Shocked  Grin
Toyota bought out a 2.7 litre petrol engine 4wd , fuel injected etc .You dont see them very often.Its probably a better option and not as thirsty as the V6.Cambo would be more in the know.Just my thoughts.

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Yeah, you got it SS. Wink

The 4Y is a bit under powered for a lux.
But then the 3L is as well.
With both models, overtaking manuvours need to be well thought out before attemptng.  Grin

If you can find a truck with the RZ motor (2.7 efi) they are pretty good.
If you aren't doing much heavy towing, or doing that many k's a year, they could be better to look for.  Probably won't find those in the solid front end trucks. Only came out in the IFS models that I know of.

With diesels you need to think of the more expensive servicing (twice as often as well), vehicle licencing and RUC's.

The 2.8 litre 3L engines can have forced induction fitted easy enough to make them perform better.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

270DM
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2014 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
cheers cambo, had a 96 3l but with the rego, road uses etc decided to get rid of it and look for an older petrol. were any of the 4ys in the hilux's injected ? thinking ill probably have to step up to a later model 2.7 if I can find one at a good price.

IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2014 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
270DM wrote on Apr 28th, 2014 at 7:42pm:
were any of the 4ys in the hilux's injected ?

don't think so. the surfs got the 3y-e which is injected.

IP Logged

SPNZ

Get outdoors !

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2014 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
I've just bought a old 4y for those reasons. As others have said it's rather under powered but chugs along nicely.

It's only a weekend hunting truck for me and be lucky if it does 7k a year. Would also love the 3rz, but can't justify the price difference for a weekend wagon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards