Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Red Dot sights v holographic (Read 2282 times)
375NE
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Red Dot sights v holographic
Apr 13th, 2014 at 5:17am
Print Post  
Was thinking of mounting a red dot to a 336 30-30 as a bush gun. There appear to be two styles..a tube style and a flat single screen. What are the pro's and cons of each style and which would be more appropriate for a rifle? Has anyone got experience and a recommendation of brand? cheers Smiley

IP Logged

nseagoon
Donor Member

Re: Red Dot sights v holographic
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 7:30am
Print Post  
I use a simmons red dot scope on one of my bush rifles. I've found it pretty good.

one thing to watch out for when testing some is ensure the reticule doesn't move when you move your head.

I've found holographic get rid of that problem because you can only see the reticule when your head is in the right position, I've found on the cheaper holographics it is difficult to see the reticule in bright light, whereas a scope may shield the sight.

either should be able to handle the knocks fine if you get a quality one.
brands I've found fine are simmons, bushnell, ACOG, and burris.
I haven't tried any others to say wheter they are good or not.

some of the airsoft ones are fine and are made in the same factories as the lower end real ones, some are not.... so might be worth a try to buy dirt cheap, then again maybe not.

hope this helps in some way.

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Have used red dot for years on various bush rifles,can't beat them for fast targeting out to 100m after that the lack of magnification becomes a bit of an issue,,might just be my old eyes tho,never used a halo sight ,have had aimpoint micro,burris speed dot and have bushnell on ruger .44 carbine at the mo,..all good sights but wouldn't look at any of the cheaper ones,.the aimpoint is close to $1000 bucks tho the other 2 around $250 a piece..

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 9:05am
Print Post  
I have had a play with both had a red dot on a sks of all things but functioned well for its usable range, very quick to get on target with.
A lot of the guys I shoot with have them on pistols and seem to work well.

And have a Truglow halo on a pistol atm, must say I'm quite impressed with it so far very good for $90, I'm quite rough on kit and its yet to fail me.
Has red or green setting and four different retical choices which is handy.
Found it a bit slow to get on target but its more due to being pistol mounted and not rifle so harder to get square to your eye fast I think.

And a issue with both is they are battery powered (except for the odd red dot sight) but have gone the the range several times and found I have left it turned on and its dead which is not handy....
And the red dot is heavier than a halo if that worrys you.

If this one ever dies I will probably go for a Burris fast fire to replace it as they are very compact.

IP Logged

Mr Ar-15
Forum Senior

Ever Vigilant

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Ive got a EOTECH 512 on my 22upper.

My 2 cents.

AVOID CHEAP at all costs.

To get a good red dot scope like a bushnell red dot expect to pay 200 up,even then it can be hit and miss with quality.

Pros of a red dot scope; usually 4x magnification, has similar workings to a normal scope in regards to enhancing colours in dim ligh.
Aimpoint are fantastic but be prepared for 600 plus.

I wouldnt classify the Trjicon ACOG series as a red dot because they are a fixed power Advanced combat optical gunsight with only a illuminated reticle through the use of tritium.
They are bloody nice optically and a darn good investment for a lightweight scope.
If you have the $$$ id thoroughly recommend one plus they have great resale value.

Holographics.
You cant go past EOTECH if your after a holo.
One thing i LOVE about mine is for moving targets and no tunnel vision it makes offhand shooting SO EASY!.
1 MOA dot which is ridiculously easy to get on target and to allow for drop is a piece of pie just invest the range time Wink
Cheap Holos maybe fine for 22's but for anything larger id go for a known brand such as EOTECH or Burris.

Advantages of a holo.
NO tunnel vision,EOTECHs can have a 3x magnifyer added on a swing mount that swings away to the side when not in use. Most holos use double A's to run em although compact models need specialst batteries. Holos have a smaller profile and are less likely to get snagged on the scrub.
AS LONG AS YOU CAN SEE THE DOT YOUR ON TARGET. Guys in afghan have had screens partly shot out but as long they saw the dot they could still use their eotech no worries and for eye relief holy shit it makes it too easy.

If your down te anau ways and want to try a EOTECH out on your rifle Id LOVE to enlighten you.once you try one you will want one  Smiley

keeping it simple;22,223,308,7mm rem mag and 12ga.

IP Logged

Husky 1600
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Have used both, great to hunt with, and surprisingly accurate out to 100 and beyond. Prefer a holographic tho - see the dot, put it on the animal, bang flop! Very very easy to use, but definitely dont try the cheap ones -  Eotech or Fastfire are the best I have used.

IP Logged

timandtalon
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 12:09am
Print Post  
375NE wrote on Apr 13th, 2014 at 5:17am:
Was thinking of mounting a red dot to a 336 30-30 as a bush gun. There appear to be two styles..a tube style and a flat single screen. What are the pro's and cons of each style and which would be more appropriate for a rifle? Has anyone got experience and a recommendation of brand? cheers Smiley

There is a third style of red dot. It looks like a normal compact scope without the flare at each end.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=BH730131

This link is to an image if something similar to what I mean. They fit to the rifle using normal scope rings. This makes them a bit more what people expect a rifle to look like. Whether they are any better or worse then any other form of dot sight I dont know. I dont use dots as I never had any success with the few that I tried. What about a good low power scope? Like a 1-4x or a 1.5-6. The lowest power is as easy to use as a dot and having used a few I can say you can easily use them with both eyes open. Price is similar, and accuracy is not compromised by the size of the dot.

Example
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/hog-riflescopes/

You are still welcome to get a dot if you want. I am just suggesting for the situation you described, that this option may also work just as well or better.

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 12:32am
Print Post  
For years I had an aimpoint red dot on a 10/22 then put it on a savage 20g/22. Fantastic sight, great for shooting rabbits on the run with the ruger. Im looking at putting one on a BLR  and think I will go for the zeiss one.
Would be great as a bush sight but spend the $$ as everyone had said.

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 1:13am
Print Post  
I would like to see you run out of batteries on aimpoint micro...10000 plus hours on one battery,my burris gets around 230-250 hrs on single battery..

IP Logged

poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 9:19am
Print Post  
are red dots or holos accurate enough for bunnies @50m? I

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:07am
Print Post  
poodle wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 9:19am:

It depends on the accuracy of the rifle , the ability of the shooter and the size of the dot , most seem to vary in size from 2-4 moa .
this means at 50M a 2moa dot is going to more or less cover an area 25 mm across , certainly good enough for a rabbit head .
Unlike scope sights ,good red dot sights have no parallax , which means the dot does not have to be centered in the field of view , this is the true advantage of a red dot sight in snap shooting .
I had one of the first Aimpoints , aside from the small field of view and a relatively short and expensive battery life , it was ideal for quick target acquisition but not so for target identification , I finally replaced it with a 1 power scope .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

ponies
Just Joined

Reply #11 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I have a leupold scope that mounts half along the barrel . Works good accurate and if you need to shoot round dogs you can have both eyes open and see if one is going to rush in,

IP Logged

Manchester

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
poodle wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 9:19am:

I put a sig sauer red dot scope on an suppressed 303 and was using it on rabbits out to around 60 meters. The things you do when you brother has flogged the 22

It cost me around $100 from dead eye dicks and was meant for a handgun

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards