Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Remington Model 7 and Model 700 Recall (Read 24510 times)
raydafish
Ex Member

Re: Remington Model 7 and Model 700 Recall
Reply #30 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
thanks for that exellent post Greg, as my rem trigger has been lightened by Dean Maisey I for one wont be  getting a new trigger installed.
cheers

IP Logged

Norwegianwoods
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #31 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Greg Duley, NZ Hunter wrote on Jun 27th, 2014 at 12:47am:
Just the usual BS in the USA where everyone wants to sue everyone. They’ve gone recall bonkers!

Here’s a bit of background for you. Some guy in the US had his rifle discharge when he put the safety off. He made a Youtube video, did some more testing and found it only happened occasionally in extreme cold. The issue was over zealous Loctite application on the adjustment screws by some muppet at the factory, some of which ended up between the trigger blade itself and the housing. We have seen this in the odd trigger now and then, and across all brands, not just Remington. In the USA case, in extreme cold temperatures, this Loctite stiffened up to the extent it occasionally wouldn’t allow the return spring to push the trigger blade back under the sear in the cocked position. If you closed the bolt with the safety on and the trigger didn’t catch the sear, when you flicked the safety off the rifle would discharge. 

Over here most shooters close the bolt then apply the safety, so we generally don’t put ourselves in a position where a sticky trigger blade could cause an accidental discharge. The worst we would notice is it would fail to co*k now and then. And we generally don’t get the extreme cold temperatures that gum up the excess Loctite. There has never been an incident like this recorded across all the Remington 700s sold in Australasia.

The simple, easy fix for the tiny percentage of triggers across all brands that are exhibiting a sticky trigger return, is to clean out the excess Loctite! But in the litigation crazy USA Remington’s lawyers have told them to recall all late model Rem 700s with the X-Mark Pro trigger and replace the rifles with a new exactly the same but with the tiny punch mark on the bolt release X-Mark Pro trigger rather than risk a lawsuit. And that silly decision has been forced on Remington agents throughout the world, including NZ.

Now the first thing we do when we adjust a trigger, is clean all debris including excess Loctite out of the mechanism, as should any reputable gunsmith. So if you’ve had your trigger adjusted, you won’t have this issue anyway.

Personally, if I was in the slightest worried about this, I would firstly see if my rifle had a sticky trigger return. Lift your bolt handle up, pull your trigger backwards, then see if the trigger springs back freely when you release it. You should feel it move back, then spring forward, and there should be even a little sideways movement. If it feels bound up and you need to return the trigger shoe forward manually, then you have something binding it up which may be Loctite, but is just as likely to be leaves and twigs if it’s a hunting rifle. Either strip it and clean it yourself if you know what you are doing, or take it to a reputable gunsmith. Or go through the silly recall process and get a replacement trigger, with all the down time that will entail and then have to have it adjusted again afterwards!

Common sense goes out the door when lawyers get involved…

A friend had the first Remington 700 SPS model in 30-06 and had this problem you describe many years ago.
He experienced a AD some times when taking off the safety and even after he got it fixed at a gunsmith, he didn't manage to trust it and at the end sold the gun.

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #32 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 12:07am
Print Post  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #33 - Dec 6th, 2014 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Recall to cover ALL 700's made since 1962.
Need to wait and see what plans Outdoor Brands has now......

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #34 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 5:46am
Print Post  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

zxreindeer

Wish I was hunting

Reply #35 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Has anyone managed to find out who the North Island agent is yet.

Living the Dream
IP Logged

bill f

Reply #36 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 12:08am
Print Post  
I have two M700 .  They both shoot very well....1"m.o.a plus or often minus.  I purchased  2 timney triggers and had a local gunsmith install them.  I did not want the aggravation of having to remove my scopes and have some factory gorilla monkeying with my rifles.  I do not like the remington x mark pro trigger, but i am very  happy the the timneys.

i recently bought a new rifle.  I bought a Browning  X bolt.  I steered away from Remington.......by the time i tweek the Remington to get it right i would have the same $ used to buy a Browning which has a superb  trigger and is free floated and bedded.  In all fairness, i really like my 2 M700  Remingtons......i have been very successful  with them and there are unlimited  bits and parts availabel for them.

IP Logged

springador
Just Joined

Reply #37 - Sep 25th, 2015 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Was asked a while ago now but the North island agent is collings and Brady.

Unfortunately I found Outdoor Brands very difficult to deal with, and basically unwilling to help me get my rifle sorted.  It was a really odd experience when you'd think a recall process should be down pat.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards