Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Remington Model 7 and Model 700 Recall (Read 24469 times)
mauser308
Donor Member

Re: Remington Recall
Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
I guess the answer there is ditch the bloody useless XMP triggers.  No more problem, ever...

Seriously, for a modern production rifle could they fit a worse trigger?  A little bit of oil or fat on your finger and you can't get a grip on the thing.  Or, you do and snap the trigger right off at the poxy little adjustment screw that really doesn't achieve a lot...  Saving grace, is the usual one up the front of the trigger housing does it's job!l!

I'll be watching to see what the NZ agents do with this, and who gets the work.

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Re: Remington Recall
Reply #16 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 3:13am
Print Post  
Quote:
will you keep us informed cambo,
thanks Smiley

When/If I hear anymore I'll definately post it up

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Re: Remington Model 7 and Model 700 Recall
Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
More from Remington....

When visiting http://xmprecall.remington.com/ to check the status of your Remington Model 700 or Model Seven rifle, do not complete the contact form if you are outside of the United States. Further instructions will be provided to handle the return if your rifle is affected by this voluntary recall.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Bob.
Donor Member

Huntfishhunt

Reply #18 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
OMG OMG OMG my rifle ive had for ages has glue on it because remington are doing an ass covering exercise OMG OMG OMG I have to return my rifle!!!! Cheesy Grin

OMG what am I to do? Shocked

SUPER KEYBOARD POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

mauser308
Donor Member

Reply #19 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 4:06am
Print Post  
Buy a Tikka in 7mm08 and consume 2 latte's... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #20 - May 3rd, 2014 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
My M700 has an XMP trigger, but I won't be bothering with this recall even if there is a real need. I find the trigger so bad and unadjustable that I had already decided on a Timney replacement. There's a reason that so many US shooters are doing the same - Timneys are great value, smooth, break cleanly and can be adjusted to break at lower pressures.

I wonder whether it would have been cheaper for Remington to just use a good, VFM off the shelf trigger in the first place? I for one would pay a bit more for a Remington if it had a Timney factory fitted.

IP Logged

mauser308
Donor Member

Reply #21 - May 11th, 2014 at 2:41am
Print Post  
Rem already has a trigger as good or better than the Timney, they are fitted to the 700P (police) model rifles - it's the 40x trigger.

A bloody shame you can't get them in NZ, but the Timney or similar aftermarket is the next best thing...  As to why Remington doesn't fit the 40x to every rifle, good question as you say it would be worth it even as a couple of hundy option...

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #22 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Latest from Remington....
http://xmprecall.remington.com/pdfs/intl-recall-notice.pdf

Looks like they will be replacing the triggers. Need to contact Outdoor Brands to get them by the sounds.

Outdoor Brands 09 582 0818

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #23 - Jun 19th, 2014 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Message from Gunworks regarding the Remington recall......

We are the South Island agents for the REMINGTON RECALL

See if your Model 700™ or Model Seven™ Rifle is affected
http://xmprecall.remington.com/

You must then type in your rifle serial number, you will then be asked what country you are in, select New Zealand, this will then refer you to the New Zealand Remington Recall website. Remington NZ will then send you a PDF form to fill out and they will contact you when your trigger replacement is available

If you are in the South Island you will then be referred to us, however
you must do this process first.

Note : If your trigger has this mark (as per the picture) on the bolt release then your trigger has already been replaced

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

mauser308
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Who is the Nth Isl gunsmith handling this?

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #25 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Unsure sorry.
Still not having any luck getting anything out of Outdoor Brands.

Try ringing them on (09) 582 0818 and see how you get on.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

ML Hunter
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Yip, give them a ring and talk to Chris.  I had already entered my serial number some time ago so it wouldn't let me go any further, talked to Chris and he sorted it. Had no problems getting hold of him.

IP Logged

mauser308
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Rung Outdoor Brands today, talked to Chris - seemed to be very good to deal with.  Explained the other factors that need to be lined up for this fault to occur and what was going on, on the faulted rifle for this recall to happen.

Seems it stems from one US fella who apparently has a few vids on Youtube which explains the background. 

Of more interest, they are working on sourcing 40x-type Remington target/tactical triggers.  Several problems solved at once considering the limitations of the XMP-type...

IP Logged

Greg Duley, NZ Hunter

NZ Hunter Magazine

Reply #28 - Jun 27th, 2014 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Just the usual BS in the USA where everyone wants to sue everyone. They’ve gone recall bonkers!

Here’s a bit of background for you. Some guy in the US had his rifle discharge when he put the safety off. He made a Youtube video, did some more testing and found it only happened occasionally in extreme cold. The issue was over zealous Loctite application on the adjustment screws by some muppet at the factory, some of which ended up between the trigger blade itself and the housing. We have seen this in the odd trigger now and then, and across all brands, not just Remington. In the USA case, in extreme cold temperatures, this Loctite stiffened up to the extent it occasionally wouldn’t allow the return spring to push the trigger blade back under the sear in the cocked position. If you closed the bolt with the safety on and the trigger didn’t catch the sear, when you flicked the safety off the rifle would discharge. 

Over here most shooters close the bolt then apply the safety, so we generally don’t put ourselves in a position where a sticky trigger blade could cause an accidental discharge. The worst we would notice is it would fail to co*k now and then. And we generally don’t get the extreme cold temperatures that gum up the excess Loctite. There has never been an incident like this recorded across all the Remington 700s sold in Australasia.

The simple, easy fix for the tiny percentage of triggers across all brands that are exhibiting a sticky trigger return, is to clean out the excess Loctite! But in the litigation crazy USA Remington’s lawyers have told them to recall all late model Rem 700s with the X-Mark Pro trigger and replace the rifles with a new exactly the same but with the tiny punch mark on the bolt release X-Mark Pro trigger rather than risk a lawsuit. And that silly decision has been forced on Remington agents throughout the world, including NZ.

Now the first thing we do when we adjust a trigger, is clean all debris including excess Loctite out of the mechanism, as should any reputable gunsmith. So if you’ve had your trigger adjusted, you won’t have this issue anyway.

Personally, if I was in the slightest worried about this, I would firstly see if my rifle had a sticky trigger return. Lift your bolt handle up, pull your trigger backwards, then see if the trigger springs back freely when you release it. You should feel it move back, then spring forward, and there should be even a little sideways movement. If it feels bound up and you need to return the trigger shoe forward manually, then you have something binding it up which may be Loctite, but is just as likely to be leaves and twigs if it’s a hunting rifle. Either strip it and clean it yourself if you know what you are doing, or take it to a reputable gunsmith. Or go through the silly recall process and get a replacement trigger, with all the down time that will entail and then have to have it adjusted again afterwards!

Common sense goes out the door when lawyers get involved…

IP Logged

mauser308
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Jun 27th, 2014 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Yep, that was the gist of it.  I can't quite work out how Loctite stiffens, once it sets it tends to be fairly stiff in consistency.  Rather like concrete you might say...

I would suspect some temperature related issue with the clearances would also be a factor here.

It's a shame about the smooth blade on the XMP, it's the main factor that makes me dislike them.  So far, once they are set I can't really tell any difference between the Timney and the 40x types.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards