Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Absolute Wilderness Freeze Dried Meals (Read 5768 times)
Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Absolute Wilderness Freeze Dried Meals
Apr 8th, 2014 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Over my week in the Kawekas I had the opportunity to try the new Absolute Wilderness Freeze Dried Meals, a new alternative to Backcountry or other such packet meals you might take in the wilderness.

I tried both the Bacon Mash

and the Mushroom Risotto,

courtesy of the team at Absolute Wilderness.

The Bacon Mash is exactly that, mashed potatoes, Bacon, Chives and some other ingredients required. fast, compact and easy to make this was a healthy sized meal after a long day on the feet. I enjoyed it, it was simple to make and the flavours were nice.

The Mushroom Risotto was a level up. I could taste the wine, the (Arborio) rice was very filling, although I might have made it with a little too much water, it didn't seem to matter too much.

What I really liked about these meals over other freeze dried I have tried is they weren't over seasoned so didn't make me feel like drinking a swimming pool of water for hours afterwards.

Thanks for the opportunity to try guys, and I am sure they'll be available to buy everywhere you'd expect.

Apologies for the crap lighting but I didn't get back till dark each night. Which meant I didn't have much time for cooking before sleep, so a quick easy meal was a real bonus.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Re: Absolute Wilderness Freeze Dried Meals
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 12:16am
Print Post  
i also received a couple of packets to review.
bacon mash and mushroom risotto.
bacon mash.
i was looking forward to trying this as it sounds great.
in terms of being a quick, easy hot meal i cant fault it.
good robust packaging made the prep easy and unlike other freeze dry meals i have used the "cooking" time quoted was accurate.
taste wise im sorry to say it was average imo.
certainly completely edible, quick and easy but a bit bland. i also found the color a bit off putting.
in general imo not as good as other freeze dry spud meals but ok.
we scored it 6 out of 10.

mushroom risotto.
now this was next level freeze dry!
very very tasty with chunks of mushroom.
it would be by far the best freeze dry meal i have ever tasted.
on the strength of this meal i am keen to order more items off the menu as it was just so dam good.
we scored this 9.5 out of 10.
well done guys!
i found portion sizes ok but would not just sit down to a bowl of mashed spuds for tea.
i would eat two meals, one spud/rice and one meat/chicken based meal and im sure that would be plenty for me.
im looking forward to trying more items from the range in future!
thanks for the opportunity guys, overall i was pretty impressed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards