Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rifle on air plane (Read 6832 times)
Tylersdad

Yes dear, i'll do it soon.

Rifle on air plane
Mar 6th, 2014 at 9:10am
Print Post  
I couldn't find any links on a quick search.
Can anyone provide any advice on this.
Wanting to take rifle & ammo Wgtn to Chch.
Air nz not overly clear and wanted to avoid the unhelpful desk that would lead me astray.
Thanks.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Re: Rifle on air plane
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2014 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Get on the ANZ web site and search for sporting goods. The info is in there plus there is a number that you can call for further information.
Basicially you need to advise them that you will be transporting a firearm, flights dates etc

IP Logged

FISH

TE FISH

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Never had any issues, just turn up at airport & they walk you through it all.
Once they did forget to put my rifle on the same flight though!! Sad
It was on my return flight luckily. Smiley
They couriered it to my house, arrived 2 hours after i got home. Cool

IP Logged

NelCh

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Very easy mate, rifle in a locked case and let them know.  Bolt and ammo in a separate bag, which they will ask for you to confirm.   Smiley

IP Logged

Distant Stalker
Forum Font

Finem Respice

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 12:08am
Print Post  
NelCh wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 10:59pm:
Very easy mate, rifle in a locked case and let them know.  Bolt and ammo in a separate bag, which they will ask for you to confirm.   Smiley

Does the ammo/bolt need to be locked also?

IP Logged

Stuckatwork

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 7:09am
Print Post  
I just chucked bolt and ammo in my luggage, as long as you let them know you will be fine,
Helpful hint; book an extra bag on the internet for $30 or it costs twice as much at the airport

IP Logged

Highland223
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 3:00am
Print Post  
At time of booking make sure you advise them of your restricted item.
Rifle in locked box/rifle bag. Ammo and bolt in checked in baggage as well. The only other requirement is ammo must be 5kg or less per person, if there is more than one person travelling you cannot combine the ammo unless it's total weight is less than the 5kg allowed. They will/should put restricted item tape on the rifle case and baggage. When you arrive at your destination the handlers will hold onto it until a rep can get it then customer service should ask for your firearms licence and match your baggage ticket, so make sure it's in your wallet with you. Then you should be good to go.
Make sure your ammo is not in your carry on bag, cause if you get found out you will most likely miss the flight if check in has closed.

Too easy if you do this.

Cheers

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Highland223 wrote on Mar 18th, 2015 at 3:00am:
Rifle in locked box/rifle bag. Ammo and bolt in checked in baggage as well. The only other requirement is ammo must be 5kg or less per person, if there is more than one person travelling you cannot combine the ammo unless it's total weight is less than the 5kg allowed. They will/should put restricted item tape on the rifle case and baggage. When you arrive at your destination the handlers will hold onto it until a rep can get it then customer service should ask for your firearms licence and match your baggage ticket, so make sure it's in your wallet with you. Then you should be good to go.
Make sure your ammo is not in your carry on bag, cause if you get found out you will most likely miss the flight if check in has closed.

Too easy if you do this.

Cheers

Air NZ missed that bit with me

IP Logged

Wanda_Ra
Donor Member

firearmtrader.co.nz

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:59pm
Print Post  

Just done the round trips of a few nz domestic airports.   Only Auckland and wellington Xray carry on luggage. Hamilton, chch and invercargill dont.   Only Auckland checks the carry on weight, i got away with 19 kg carry on, from invers to chch to hamilton.

firearmtrader.co.nz

IP Logged

Joe the Bro

If your too open minded
then bits fall out.

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Wanda_Ra wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:59pm:
Just done the round trips of a few nz domestic airports.   Only Auckland and wellington Xray carry on luggage. Hamilton, chch and invercargill dont.   Only Auckland checks the carry on weight, i got away with 19 kg carry on, from invers to chch to hamilton.

Thats true in Chch if you're flying on an ATR72 or Q300 (propeller plane) If you're flying on a jet to say Wel or Akl then you go through security and they xray carry on.  Wink

Waddya mean its not edible?

IP Logged

pyro

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Better to go a hard case as air nz reps had different interpretations of the rules in chch to akl.

If you have a hard case it takes away this issue.

(MAte couldn’t fly his rifle back to chch from akl in locked soft case, despite still havin the tags on it from the flight from chch a month earlier.)

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 10:10pm
Print Post  

Too easy if you do this.

Cheers

got hauled up, xray picked up loose rounds.
supposed to be in their packets.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Aug 7th, 2018 at 10:10pm:

Too easy if you do this.

Cheers

got hauled up, xray picked up loose rounds.
supposed to be in their packets.

Yep  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards