Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Reboring (Read 3457 times)
ChrisHB
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Reboring
Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
While I have a high level of cynicism over NZ retail prices, that last statement is probably unjustified in this context.
There are no outfits geared up to do this on a regular basis and there will thus be no economies of scale.

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #16 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Chris those who already make barrels can do it.

IP Logged

ArmedTramper
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
I was talking to Dave Ward today and he is slowly getting the gear together to do it.  It requires a slightly different approach to a fresh barrel I.e. different drill and although you can re-rifle a barrel produced by most methods, the "new" rifling can only be done by cutting.

Dave is a dammed fine smith but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to get going.

IP Logged

wanganuikid
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Only those that use the "cut " rifling process can do it, and I'm not sure who even does that here, I thought most use the button method.
Even then its not a simple matter of just "doing "it.

I did a bit of a Google search,$350 to $400 USD to rebore,recut and rechamber a barrel, as opposed to around the same for something like a new match grade chambered and threaded Shilen.

WK

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #19 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 10:18am
Print Post  
I was quoted $300 - $350 from different places. (US) That price compared with a $700 (NZ) rebarrel sounds reasonable to me.
The shipping to and from the states isn't even that big a deal either. The trouble is dealing with the State department with getting your barrel back out of the United States and convincing them you are not exporting a firearm. (Which your not, obviously, but they class a barrel as part of a firearm action and are a bit leery of foreign nationals.)

(Interestingly if it was for a muzzleloader, no problem, just drop in in the post - muzzleloaders are not considered to be firearms. Yes, friends and neighbours, you can mail order a flintlock rifle out of the United States, if you have a NZ import permit.) 

IP Logged

Bill999
Forum Font

Reply #20 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Really they are nothing more than cap guns Grin

IP Logged

Got-ya

Reply #21 - May 14th, 2019 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Bumping this thread up. Has there been any progress by the people mentioned regarding offering this service? Like the original poster I would like to bore out a 308 to 338 federal.

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #22 - May 15th, 2019 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
No, nothing new on this front.

If you really want it done, you should look into sending your barrel to the USA and have it done there, and what it would take to get it back out.
If you are not exporting anything - ie its the same barrel you sent over and are just having some work done on it, you should not need an export permit to get it back out of the States.
I would start by querying the US State Department.

IP Logged

shananah

Reply #23 - May 15th, 2019 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I had a couple of barrels rebored years ago by Sprinter Arms in South Australia, I don't think they do it now but before I sent them off, I got them registered (?) with NZ Customs so I wouldn't have any hassles getting them back into the country or have to pay duty on them, yup, it was that long ago.  Smiley

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #24 - May 16th, 2019 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Interested in this.

I have an old .303 I inherited that was based on an early SMLE and customised by Greener. So it has a neat engraved flat topped barrel with express sights. Bolt shroud is similarly engraved. Did manage to shoot my first deer with it, but it was only 30 yards away!

Barrel is had-it from use of ammo with corrosive primers years ago, and I'd really like to get it going again, ideally as a .303. No idea if that's possible, how to make that happen,or who i should go to in NZ who may be able to at least initiate and coordinate the restoration? Had wondered about starting with Dean Maisey?

Any suggestions appreciated.

IP Logged

Got-ya

Reply #25 - May 16th, 2019 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply's. Shame this service is not offered locally.

IP Logged

shananah

Reply #26 - May 16th, 2019 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Max wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 2:29pm:
Interested in this.

I have an old .303 I inherited that was based on an early SMLE and customised by Greener. So it has a neat engraved flat topped barrel with express sights. Bolt shroud is similarly engraved. Did manage to shoot my first deer with it, but it was only 30 yards away!

Barrel is had-it from use of ammo with corrosive primers years ago, and I'd really like to get it going again, ideally as a .303. No idea if that's possible, how to make that happen,or who i should go to in NZ who may be able to at least initiate and coordinate the restoration? Had wondered about starting with Dean Maisey?

Any suggestions appreciated.

The only way to keep the original barrel exterior would be to get it rebored, sleeving in centre fire calibers is not possible afaik. Being 303, you're limited to some sort of .303 wildcat as in 8mm-303 or 338-303, even bore diameters go up in bigger steps over 30 cal. All of this is doable of course, it just depends on if you can be bothered or not. .303 wildcats were big in Canada & to a lesser extent Australia so info is out there. It looks like sending to the USA is you only option for reboring but again, probably doable. Going on one of the US based forums, is 24hourcampfire or The High road, might be a way to find out about who to approach for reboring.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards