Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Reboring (Read 3439 times)
mitch270
Donor Member

No longer owns a .270

Reboring
Feb 23rd, 2014 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Hey guys, just wondering if any NZ gunsmiths rebore barrels? It seems that whenever people on here want to change to a different cartridge they just buy a new trueflite barrel. I'm thinking or changing my savage 99 from 308 to 338 fed, but doubt that anyone would stock barrels for 99's, hence the question.
Cheers

IP Logged

Nor-West
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Reboring
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
The guy at Wakefield is getting set up for it I understand. PM to Armed Tramper he's in the know.

Still out here in the wind and rain, look a little older but I feel no pain...

Warren Zevon

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I think it is only cut rifled barrels that can actually be re-bored. A lot of factory barrels are hammer forged. Trueflite barrels are button rifled.

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Re cutting has gone the way of the dodo now as its cheaper to just get a new barrel. Hammer or buttoned rifles have 'work' hardened bores that wear tooling very fast.

Just do it

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 9:38am
Print Post  
The only time to rebore is to get an old classic rifle with a worn out barrel shooting again  . A mate got a 303 Rigby bored to 303/8mm to get it going again , this was because the barrel was  ribbed / engraved and fitted with express sights , it went to the USA for the work to be done and cost more than a new barrel

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 10:02am
Print Post  
And it was probably more common to re-sleeve if there was sufficient meat in the original barrel.

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
And yet in the States reboring barrels is fairly common and quite cheap.  Much cheaper than a new barrel and fitting.
Quite trendy lately to rebore worn Winchester .30/30's out to .38/55.
I know you can get it done in Australia as well, cheaper than a rebarrel.

It sounds like it's more a case of Kiwi's overvaluing again.

IP Logged

mitch270
Donor Member

No longer owns a .270

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Carlsen Highway wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 5:28pm:
And yet in the States reboring barrels is fairly common and quite cheap.  Much cheaper than a new barrel and fitting.
Quite trendy lately to rebore worn Winchester .30/30's out to .38/55.
I know you can get it done in Australia as well, cheaper than a rebarrel.

It sounds like it's more a case of Kiwi's overvaluing again.

The reason I asked was because I'd seen that it's quite popular and reasonably priced in the states. But as per usual  in old Nz we're 10 years behind the rest of the world, and when things finally arrive here the cost you an arm, a leg and a left testicle.

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
I agree. I don't know of anyone that has had it done in NZ, although there are people who could do it if they wanted. Maybe you could try talking Hugh at Stager Sports into it.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Brownells sell barrel liners and drills etc but only for low power cf and 22 and 17 rim fire

The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 11:03am
Print Post  
I have considered doing this myself, a decent centre lathe, dedicated to this purpose, a second lathe, a milling machine, a centre grinder, and a few other bits and pieces would be required.
The lathe would need to have a rack modification to rotate a second 4 jaw chuck, mounted on the tail stock or the carriage which by way of gearing, (these gears driven by the aforesaid rack). Thus by affixing the cutter bar into the 4 jaw chuck, (this chuck itself being index-able, say 6 locations).
It follows that by moving the 4 jaw along the bed, whether mounted to the saddle or tail stock, that the cutter will rotate as according to the gearing between the rack and the 4 jaw.
Naturally the main lathe chuck is fixed against rotation
For the drilling operation I would have both the main spindle and the drill, the drill being attatched to the tail stock, rotating.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 11:52am
Print Post  
So the Black and Decker cordless and a long drill bit arent going to cut it then?

IP Logged

wanganuikid
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
mitch270 wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 7:00pm:
The reason I asked was because I'd seen that it's quite popular and reasonably priced in the states. But as per usual  in old Nz we're 10 years behind the rest of the world, and when things finally arrive here the cost you an arm, a leg and a left testicle.

Actually re-boreing is a very old process, going back at least 100 odd years. It was common practice to recut a shot out barrel to a larger size and much cheaper than replacing it.
Nowadays with labor being comparatively more expensive and new barrels cheaper its just not practical unless there is a reason to preserve the original barrel. It can only be done with cut rifling to my knowledge.
So, more than likely it was available here many years ago but there simply is not the demand for it today.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
wanganuikid wrote on Feb 25th, 2014 at 4:01pm:
Actually re-boreing is a very old process, going back at least 100 odd years. It was common practice to recut a shot out barrel to a larger size and much cheaper than replacing it.
Nowadays with labor being comparatively more expensive and new barrels cheaper its just not practical unless there is a reason to preserve the original barrel. It can only be done with cut rifling to my knowledge.
So, more than likely it was available here many years ago but there simply is not the demand for it today.

Probably 3-400 years , in the muzzle loading days it was common and known as "freshing out" most barrels were fairly soft iron and could be recut with ease

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Its still a common and inexpensive process. Just not here.
It's like taxidermy. In the States its cheap as chips. In NZ it costs an arm and leg. Kiwis are greedy by nature.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards