Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bowhunting DVD - No Season - No Limit (Read 3919 times)
Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Bowhunting DVD - No Season - No Limit
Feb 9th, 2014 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Review - NZ Bowhunter Ė No Season, No Limits DVD

Produced by Matt Willis, Owner and Editor, Hooked on Boars Magazine, with a record of 300+ big game bowkills
I have a solid collection of hunting and bowhunting DVDís,

so was very keen to review this latest NZ-born production when asked. There are some good rifle hunting DVDís filmed in NZ, and many International bowhunting DVDís but these donít illustrate well NZ Bowhunting methods, styles or game.

This is a good quality production filmed relatively recently, and depicts bowhunting in New Zealand really well for those enjoying the sport currently, or as an intro to hunters contemplating bowhunting either as new entrants or as an addition to their rifle hunting sport.

First up is a Red Deer hunt for hinds at Wildside Safaris. There are three successful hunts, by Kadin Willis, Kevin Watson (Advanced Archery) and Matt Willis who all shoot a red deer

Then a guided hunter nicely shoots three true trophy stags.
Carol Watson (Advanced Archery) introduces herself then stalks a small spiker she misses. She then hunts under deep bush cover a fallow and shows the never-give-up perseverence of a true hunter following the stag at full draw until another opportunity arrives which she takes. Very entertaining and educating

The next hunt shows Kevin Watson on the opposite ridge chasing a red deer, which he eventually shoots off-camera.
Theres a successful hunt of a mid-sized boar,and some amazing footage of a spot and stalk hunt on another boar on DíUrville Island that turns into a successful harvest of two pigs and some good footage of a stag that turns up interested by the commotion

After this are some good, quality hunts by youngsters Connor Watson (Advanced Archery) and Kadin Willis as they hunt Fallow, with some quality stalking footage.
Next up Matt Willis goes to the Canada and takes a black bear at bait after an unsuccessful attempt at ambushing him on a well-used game trail.

Following the Canadian adventure is Stewart Island Whitetail action, followed by Waimate Wallaby hunting, Marlborough Red Stags (shot while fighting), Goats, Whanganui Fallow, National Park reds, some small game (hare, turkey, and a monster goat),†and more Fallow from just north of Auckland.

Thereís a section on Archery tips from Kevin Watson giving some good sound and simple advise on setting up and sighting in your bow, and then fine tuning with broadheads. Effective hunting range is also covered, which is a good process to understand to ensure consistent clean kills.

Also using footage from the video, Kevin and Carol share some useful tips and knowledge on stalking, setup, when to shoot, preparation, practice and shot placement. Then some sage advice on post-shot procedure.

After viewing this DVD three times to do this review, I can honestly say itís the most comprehensive insight into bowhunting in NZ that been produced. Itís a valuable addition to my collection and what I would recommend any keen or aspiring bowhunter use for reference as well as knowledge and motivation.

Well done Matt Willis!

Available from www.hookedonboars.com/dvd/dvd or http://advancedarchery.co.nz/books-magazines-dvd-s/nz-bowhunter-dvd-no-season-no... as well as other hunting outlets nationally for only $39.95 makes it a no-brainer purchase!! Awesome gift too!!

« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2014 at 7:04am by Swodem »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards