Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic An unpleasant mishap on a cousin’s dairy farm…. (Read 9014 times)
Wantok
Just Joined

One clean, humane shot
for all ferals !

An unpleasant mishap on a cousin’s dairy farm….
Oct 29th, 2013 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
When my eldest son finished High School a few years ago he wanted to taste a bit of country life so I arranged for both of us to spend two weeks on a cousin’s dairy farm down in Victoria – milking 90 odd cows twice a day in addition to baling & stacking hay in the shed plus dispatching numerous pesky rabbits up in the hills with my trusty old Model 2 Brno.

We soon discovered that a young bull took it upon himself to join the milking line up in the yards – he had no doubt somehow learnt about the free tucker dished up in the feed troughs for the cows as they were being milked. Try as we did to cut him out of the herd the cunning bugger almost always managed to jostle himself into the stalls where he then appeared to have a mischievous look on his face - knowing he lacked the body parts for the job at hand.

It’s been said that horses have a “malevolent intent that will kill you the very first chance it gets.” I can also apply a scaled down version of this to dairy cows. Namely, you’re in a most vulnerable position when in the process of attaching the suction cups – the optimum time I noted for several ‘unladylike’ cows to lash out with one of their hind legs, pee like there’s no tomorrow or let loose with a bucket load of hot steamy goo. The cousin knew each cow by name and readily identified those who frequently practiced this malicious behaviour.

Hosing down the milking shed and concrete holding yards was a fun job after each session – all the muck eventually angled off down an open concrete drain before ‘disappearing’ somewhere down one side of the milking shed. Well, on the second day of our visit my son and I were later out having a chat in a nearby holding yard and I happened to notice an odd bit of old farm machinery laying next the shed. Being intrigued with mechanical things I decided to check it out. However, in order to do so I had to climb over a fence and then walk across a vacant flat cleared bit of land.

In theory, not a problem. Two steps out from the other side of the fence I suddenly sank through what I had thought was ‘solid ground.’ In reality, it was a thin dry crusty layer of cow poo which deceitfully covered a seepage pit full of the muck hosed out from the yards. Steadily sinking, I had a flash back to the scene in “Lawrence of Arabia” when one of the young Arab boys slowly disappeared into some quicksand. Here I was, in the process of drowning in a ‘hidden’ pool of liquefied gooey cow dung.

Not a chance. I was up to my hips by the time I desperately threw my upper body towards the fence line and, feeling solid ground, dug my fingers in and started pulling myself ashore. My son saw my plight and hastily came over to give me a helping hand and, with a lot of effort, he finally managed to haul me out. Well, talk about laugh. The cousin just about wet herself when she saw me waddle somewhat bow legged back into the shed half covered with gooey dung. ‘Oh what a feeling !’

IP Logged

Sikakila
Donor Member

'Every day above ground..is
a good day!

Re: An unpleasant mishap on a cousin’s dairy farm….
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2013 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Oh,sh*t happens Lips Sealed Grin

IP Logged

Wantok
Just Joined

One clean, humane shot
for all ferals !

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2013 at 2:51am
Print Post  
You can say that again mate......talk about an unforgettable experience !

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2013 at 5:11am
Print Post  
At least you weren't up to ya neck in it Smiley
These days a lot of people cull out the stroppy bitches from the herd.

IP Logged

Wantok
Just Joined

One clean, humane shot
for all ferals !

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2013 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Rugerman, it's amazing how skilled cows are at allowing a long stream of crap to run down their tail and to then ever so deftly flick it at you. No wonder they end up as 'Big Macs' !

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2013 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Grin Grin Tread lightly next time aye  Wink

IP Logged

Wantok
Just Joined

One clean, humane shot
for all ferals !

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 5:43am
Print Post  
Green hill, better still, I'll get someone else to lead the way !

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2013 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Grin Good one mate  Cool

IP Logged

SIKADDICTION.
Forum Font

Addicted to Sika hunting

Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Grin Grin thanks for sharing mate.  Wink

IP Logged

Kaweka_Neil
Donor Member

If it's outdoors, it's
all good!

Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Grin Grin Grin

I used to help out with the milking on my uncle's dairy farm many years ago.  Cow's do have a mean streak alright and can usually spot the noobee in the shed!!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
seen the dog do that a time or two flat out after a bird then sink through crust into mud....just aswell you had acess to a big hose to clean off..that fermenting cow crap sure does have an aroma all of its own.

IP Logged

Krico
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 2:41am
Print Post  
Some years ago whilst out duck-shooting some settling ponds I nearly lost my dog in one of those "ponds" just 4 m short of the duck he was steaming out to fetch - I was very lucky he was under good control and had him turn and swim/wade/struggle his way back just before his shoulders went under - he even appreciated the frozen water scrub-down he then got in the nearby trough before being welcomed back into the maimai. My fault for not first noting the risk - I was lucky - he was a great dog.

IP Logged

Prtnd Huntr

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #12 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 4:55am
Print Post  

I am always in the s**t its just the depth that varies.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards