Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Stoat trapping seminar (Read 72974 times)
Micky Duck
Ex Member

Re: Stoat trapping seminar
Reply #75 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Bon wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 9:41pm:
Micky Duck, with only 20 traps,and expensive ones at that,why shag about with ping pong balls? The only reason I can see why anyone would bother doing that is cost. Fresh rabbit,or Connovations do a freeze dried one which along with a hens egg will, in my opinion, give better and more consistent results. The other main thing is to put time into your sets. Cheers.

we have had traps set in this area over a 18 month period...tried all sorts of things as bait, goose,venison,fresh hens eggs etc etc. we got a stoat last week in a trap that has killed 3 hedgehogs in the last month and we havent rebaited it yet...its got a brown wriggly blob where bait used to be and dead carcasses behind it. the ping pong balls stay in traps,same as plastic eggs,I figure they are a visual thing..hmmm is that an egg??? best pop in for a closer look....
I dont believe the mustilid population is high in the area but are trapping to keep the native lizards it contains a little/lot safer...the breeding area for ducks is a bonus Wink got an awesome R.I.P. Mallard Hammond call from the swamp comp for our troubles last year so that was a very BIG bonus Wink

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #76 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
those boxes are the same as what we started out using only difference is we has leg hold possom traps in them. if you use 6x1" timber the trap will wedge nicely in and anything has to go over plate to get at bait..yip they work good. if targeting rats try a few bluebird rashuns.
Winkcould Wink suggest using older lanes ace traps but rules being rules better not Wink Wink

IP Logged

Traps

Reply #77 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Gloves hum yes maybe but I will go with the jokers saying most stoat traps don't even get a visit.
I got quite a number out there and one of my best catching is on the neighbors and checked daily by a perfumed up little old lady when she gets the post. 
My guess its because of where it is, you dont see many stoats it takes a fair while to get onto it, her observations on the farm over 60yrs are gold.

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #78 - Jan 28th, 2014 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Cruz,your box looks fine. Only suggestion, try screwing a cup hook under the lid and hanging your chook leg rather than leaving it on the deck. Cheers.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #79 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 10:26am
Print Post  
any luck cruz?

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

stags blood...harts blood...hearts
blood

Reply #80 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 8:01am:
fully agree Bon. 10 well set traps will out catch 100 poorly placed ones.i also like the fenn traps and use them here at home. my only gripe is that they are not very long lasting and rust out pretty quick.
cruz, when you make your boxes ensure the trap fits well and stoats cant get around the sides etc. also make sure birds or possums etc cant reach in for the bait and set your traps off without getting killed.
with all the pheasants/quail on your block look for their dusting sites. they will be in dry sunny spots, under totara trees etc. that would be a good spot for a trap or two.

Agree as well.  Having run a few lines over the years and still doing a bit around the farm and in a DOC block it is noticeable that the same traps catch a lot of stoats and some never do.  After a while you get to see a pattern of favoured habitat.

When I was working in the bush a possum trapper mate used to run half a dozen as a bit of a challenge and his strike rate was phenomenal once he sorted out the right places to set them.

On your final day in a single moment all you own you would give for the things, that all your life were free.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #81 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Not yet Chris – one mouse, one rat and a bloody sore thumb that got in the way of a Victor trap
I have given up on the chicken legs and sardine cat tucker sachets – flies turn it into a mess in a day or so
Maurie from MS Woodcraft who sold me the traps tells me they don’t like stinky baits so at present I have reverted to one egg and a couple of PP balls in each box – also done away with the bait pan so there is room for them to get inside and have a chew on the yellow bait plate - I might try drilling some eggs to get some egg odour in the box
Tarrbaby is onto a heap of rabbits in an orchard near here so he is going to get me some rabbits which I will break up and freeze – so I should have some good bait soon – should I skin them or leave some fur on – I recall you mentioned to salt the rabbits for bait
I saw this on the net the other day – amazing what these animals can do to catch their prey – rabbit didn’t stand a chance –
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODEUK5sB5vE
Also saw these among many more I have looked at -
http://www.kiwisforkiwi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Controlling_Mustelids_200...
http://hawkesbay.fishandgame.org.nz/sites/default/files/hawkes_bay/habitat_info/...
From what I have read about these bastards – they are going to be difficult to catch

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #82 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
yes skin your rabbits. cut them into hunks and salt overnight, drain off liquid and store in freezer. i use hen eggs all winter, one egg per box and thats fine for bait.
fresh is best but i have caught stoats on very heavily putrified rabbit meat baits.
i don't think they go in to eat it but they are so curious i don't think they can help themselves and go in to check it out.
they definitely feed on dead rats in my traps and some are very rotten and maggoty. i wouldn't be surprised if they eat maggots also.
stick at it cruz, they are cunning little bastards but they have chinks in their armour.
i notice in one of those links they have traps out in open grass areas. personally i wouldn't do that.
put them under cover so the stoats feel more confident.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #83 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Cruz wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 10:05pm:
Constructed the first couple of traps today – a bit rough so maybe some variations tomorrow
Couldn’t buy any square mesh so had to settle for a viewing hole with some netting
The box is 400mm long – made of 150*20*1200 palings – all glued and nailed
Got the trap positioned close to the entrance hole so he might jump on the foot plate
Started off with an egg and a chicken drumstick for bait couldn’t see any bunnies so fresh meat may have to come later
Total cost of a trap was $3 for the wood and $5.50 for the trap – nails, glue and other bits sitting on the shelf – plus a bit of time

Set two up under some natives where there was fresh dirt
Came back up to the shed and Cruz was going nuts by a pile of strainers – I asked him if it was a rat – but out runs a bloody stoat
Desperate for some anti stoat equipment - I found some old wood tubes from years back that used to have see saw floor systems – perfect size for a Victor trap – so I stuck an egg and a drum stick down by the mesh and slid a Victor in behind the bait – if they want a feed they will have to walk over the trap – put them on the ground beside retaining walls which is where I have seen them running along

Can we have dimensions on the trap. My mate thinks its just what he needs. Thanks. How big is the entry hole?

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #84 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Made a few changes from the first one in the picture in my previous post – all a bit rough – cut with a skill saw – fit where they touch
Version 1 was made with 160*20*1200 fence palings from ITM – problem with the 20mm timber is it leaves a bit much space in the bottom of the box and you need to use a packer down the sides to make sure the trap stays in the centre – timber is a bit unstable and needs to be nailed before it warps
Version 2 was made with 160*25*1200 fence palings – timber is much stronger – the gap inside is perfect for the trap - but trap ends up a bit heavier - $1.30 per paling so two per trap with a bit of waste
Version 3 – I found some 20mm welded mesh for the bait end of the trap – much better for the animal to view his last supper – I also used a bit of 50*40 across the top at the mesh end as it is much stronger to pivot the top with a decent size coach bolt – much easier to staple some mesh than to drill a large viewing hole with netting cover
The box is 400mm long less the saw cut – so three pieces out of one paling – cut the top (500mm or less maybe) and an end out of the other paling – a bit of spare which is useful if you are making a few
I have just made three of the latest version – I am going to use them round our subdivision where we have about twenty one acre sections – about half the boundaries are onto a tidal estuary and the rest is onto various avocado orchards – there should be lots of quail and pheasants but instead we have lots of fat rats that love avocados, lots of rabbits and people see the odd stoat – very few quail and pheasants
I stirred up some interest in predator control – one neighbour set five rat bait stations a few weeks back and is still feeding them – another has caught 22 in a cage – poor quail didn’t stand a chance – but where you have avocado orchards – you have heaps of rats
The entry hole is 50mm – I got most of the ideas off the net – watching trapper Joe or his mates in Wisconsin or other places
Left my small staples up at the farm so couldn’t attach the latches – just made out of a bit of 2mm soft wire
I am going to give the bait pan a miss and just put the bat on the floor up by the mesh – should also be easier to shake out the maggots through the mesh

IP Logged

GQHOON
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #85 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Fantastic effort Cruz! Simple yet effective, I'm sure these posts will be inspiration to others to do likewise!  Cool

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #86 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 9:02am
Print Post  
yep top effort cruz! Cool
maybe a nail banged in through the floor to hold your bait? make sure critters cant reach in through mesh and grab bait.

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #87 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Frickkin awesome Cruz. Be nice to be a laying bird around your place.

IP Logged

MERRITT
Forum Font

Reply #88 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
GQHOON wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:57am:
Fantastic effort Cruz! Simple yet effective, I'm sure these posts will be inspiration to others to do likewise!  Cool

+1, I have been keeping an eye on this thread, all very interesting Cool

IP Logged

TB

Reply #89 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
+1 Ive just ordered 12 traps. looking forward to targeting the little buggers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards