Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Stoat trapping seminar (Read 72853 times)
MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Re: Stoat trapping seminar
Reply #60 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:03am
Print Post  
H&F were selling the box type traps as part of the Swamp Comp.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #61 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Cruz wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:00am:
Any ideas on where to buy the trap box systems - or is it best to make your own - will the Victor rat trap kill a stoat - or do I need to buy a possum grade style of trap
I have tried the DOC manufacturer here in Tauranga but seems a waste of time
I am really pissed off if these bastards have got my pheasants - there must have been fifty of them on the property a few months back - cant see hardly any now
Poor little quail wont stand a chance

do a google search and shop around for best deal cruz.
we use double sets of doc200 traps in tunnel boxes.
very effective, long lasting and easy to use.
Bon uses the victor rat traps on stoats to good effect i believe. one tunnel trap box every 200mtrs is the doc requirement but the more the better. i use salted rabbit mainly but eggs are also good.
when you catch a stoat squeeze his belly and rub his piss/arse all around the inside of your stoat box.

new traps and box.

inside of box.

scrape away dirt from both ends of box so it looks like a rabbit burrow or has had animal movement.
place something heavy on top of box once set to help prevent "sympathetic set off". the jarring of one trap going off can set the second trap off leaving your box unloaded and ineffective.
set on edges. track,fence,creek edges etc, stoats tend to follow these edges. north facing bush edges that get early sun concentrate birds and are good hunting grounds for stoats.
if setting in bush old logs, stumps or any big old tree like a puriri that have lots of places rats can nest in are good spots for a trap.

IP Logged

GQHOON
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #62 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:55am
Print Post  
DoC250 traps and boxes are avaiable from Waterfowl Enhancement Trust, based in Taupo. They and H&F run the Swamp Comp and H&F stores sell the traps on their behalf also.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #63 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:57am
Print Post  
the doc250's are a bit of overkill imo and a bit of a bitch to set.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #64 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
If anyone is thinking about killing stoats and weasels – this may be useful
I checked out the DOC 200 boxes in Farmlands - $90 for a single trap box – a bit expensive for me
I am going to make some timber boxes out of 150 wide – fence palings – should be OK nailed into a tube with an opening lid – maybe something like this – but a bit more tidy –
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-94Y8Dunf4
Finally found some Victor traps with the yellow foot plate – none of the retailers I went to have got them – all just got the ones with a cheese holder and round $10 plus
I found a guy at Mt Maunganui who is supplying heaps of trapping products round the country  -  http://www.victortraps.co.nz/Professional%20Rat%20Traps.htm  http://www.traps.net.nz/
Box of 12 at $5.50 each which is about half what Bunnings or Mitre 10 are charging for the ones with the cheese holder – they are not as powerful as a DOC 200 but should hold a stoat or weasel – just about chopped a carrot in half -

Just got to build them and I am in business – all I need is some bait - fresh rabbit, chook eggs – will they eat a chicken drumstick?  – I don’t know what they are but must be stoat or weasel
Thanks for all your help guys

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #65 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Cruz wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:00am:
Any ideas on where to buy the trap box systems - or is it best to make your own - will the Victor rat trap kill a stoat - or do I need to buy a possum grade style of trap
I have tried the DOC manufacturer here in Tauranga but seems a waste of time
I am really pissed off if these bastards have got my pheasants - there must have been fifty of them on the property a few months back - cant see hardly any now
Poor little quail wont stand a chance

Make your own boxes up Cruz.                              And yes the Victor Pro rat trap [Make sure it's the pro one ,cedar plank,large yellow plastic plate]  They are used extensivly in Nth America for long tail weasels,which are a mirror image of the European stoat. They don't always kill outright so unless you can get around your line daily then they may not be for you. Landcare Research failed them for this reason, and,from memory, their trial killed 9 from ten in less than three minutes. Personally I don't care if it takes a bit longer for them to kark.                                   DoC being a Govt dept have to be seen to stick to the rules about humane killing of pests. I recommend them to those who haven't trapped previously because chance's are you may have a rat trap or two already and know how to set them. Fenns are a better bet but being a body crusher the No 4 in particular, does not always kill outright. Fenn no 6 was developed  as a stoat trap,and is an excellent choice.Not difficult to set once you get the knack. You can use No1 coil spring leg hold [possum]trap in a box. But again you will need to check your boxes daily and dispatch any catches.      At under $10 each the traps I've described are the cheapest options apart from connibears ,and you may be best to steer clear of them for now.
DoC 200 and 250 are excellent kill traps,but do cost significantly more,as does the gas self setter.
I would sooner put money  into a few more carefully placed sets. I favour less expensive traps but would never stint on bait or lure. Placing a $60 trap with a ping pong ball for a lure..................... Roll Eyes                                                     Stoats can skip along a bit. I've caught them with an egg in the mouth on the way back out of the box a number of times.Take your time and have  a good look around your area,don't just dump a box every 200 yards because the manual tells you to do it that way.There are thousands of box sets scattered about this country that have never, and will never see a stoat inside them simply because they are in the wrong place. Trapping is interesting and there is always something new to learn,good luck Smiley

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #66 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Bon wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 9:19pm:
Make your own boxes up Cruz.                              And yes the Victor Pro rat trap [Make sure it's the pro one ,cedar plank,large yellow plastic plate]  They are used extensivly in Nth America for long tail weasels,which are a mirror image of the European stoat. They don't always kill outright so unless you can get around your line daily then they may not be for you. Landcare Research failed them for this reason, and,from memory, their trial killed 9 from ten in less than three minutes. Personally I don't care if it takes a bit longer for them to kark.                                   DoC being a Govt dept have to be seen to stick to the rules about humane killing of pests. I recommend them to those who haven't trapped previously because chance's are you may have a rat trap or two already and know how to set them. Fenns are a better bet but being a body crusher the No 4 in particular, does not always kill outright. Fenn no 6 was developed  as a stoat trap,and is an excellent choice.Not difficult to set once you get the knack. You can use No1 coil spring leg hold [possum]trap in a box. But again you will need to check your boxes daily and dispatch any catches.      At under $10 each the traps I've described are the cheapest options apart from connibears ,and you may be best to steer clear of them for now.
DoC 200 and 250 are excellent kill traps,but do cost significantly more,as does the gas self setter.
I would sooner put money  into a few more carefully placed sets. I favour less expensive traps but would never stint on bait or lure. Placing a $60 trap with a ping pong ball for a lure..................... Roll Eyes                                                     Stoats can skip along a bit. I've caught them with an egg in the mouth on the way back out of the box a number of times.Take your time and have  a good look around your area,don't just dump a box every 200 yards because the manual tells you to do it that way.There are thousands of box sets scattered about this country that have never, and will never see a stoat inside them simply because they are in the wrong place. Trapping is interesting and there is always something new to learn,good luck Smiley

fully agree Bon. 10 well set traps will out catch 100 poorly placed ones.
i also like the fenn traps and use them here at home. my only gripe is that they are not very long lasting and rust out pretty quick.
cruz, when you make your boxes ensure the trap fits well and stoats cant get around the sides etc. also make sure birds or possums etc cant reach in for the bait and set your traps off without getting killed.
with all the pheasants/quail on your block look for their dusting sites. they will be in dry sunny spots, under totara trees etc. that would be a good spot for a trap or two.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #67 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Use gloves and fish oil/canola mix as lure in addition to your meat. Stoats love backsteak. Best line ever on red backsteak. Have put out pp balls and we will check them first time tomorrow.Scraping the outside of the trap is essential showing either activity or territorial activity to a predator.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Cruz, there is some well founded advice on this thread, from trappers more experienced than myself. All I will add is,a freshly killed mouse or rat is  a great attraction as bait for stoats, also had success with rabbit, venison and liver. Wear gloves, as Sako says, old manky smelling, blood encrusted ones are best. I used to drip blood from a killed possum  over an adjacent lower tree trunk and around the trap, then take the carcass well away from the area.

BON, you should write a book, if you haven't already?. With a big chapter on your trapping experiences.  Smiley

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #69 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Quote:
BON, you should write a book, if you haven't already?. With a big chapter on your trapping experiences.  Smiley

Yip. Cool

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #70 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Constructed the first couple of traps today – a bit rough so maybe some variations tomorrow
Couldn’t buy any square mesh so had to settle for a viewing hole with some netting
The box is 400mm long – made of 150*20*1200 palings – all glued and nailed
Got the trap positioned close to the entrance hole so he might jump on the foot plate
Started off with an egg and a chicken drumstick for bait couldn’t see any bunnies so fresh meat may have to come later
Total cost of a trap was $3 for the wood and $5.50 for the trap – nails, glue and other bits sitting on the shelf – plus a bit of time

Set two up under some natives where there was fresh dirt
Came back up to the shed and Cruz was going nuts by a pile of strainers – I asked him if it was a rat – but out runs a bloody stoat
Desperate for some anti stoat equipment - I found some old wood tubes from years back that used to have see saw floor systems – perfect size for a Victor trap – so I stuck an egg and a drum stick down by the mesh and slid a Victor in behind the bait – if they want a feed they will have to walk over the trap – put them on the ground beside retaining walls which is where I have seen them running along

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #71 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Top effort. Smart design bro. Wink

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #72 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 8:55am
Print Post  
I keep trawling back through the posts in this thread – some great information and I just wish I had focused on stoats much earlier
I have got six boxes out now plus a cage pus three tubes round the shed – still need to build six more boxes to get most of the 30 acres covered to some extent
I saw quite a few pheasants and quail yesterday – I think they moved down to the hay paddocks which was cut very late – just a week ago - saw nine bantam size pheasants in one group, six roosters in another group, and also saw some bumble bee size quail – so the stoats didn’t get them all
Bait is what I need to learn about – I suspect these new boxes are going to be pretty obvious to a stoat – maybe they need something tipped over or through them to make them stink a bit – I see Sako mentioned Canola oil – how do you use that – is a plastic bowl for some bait just going to put them off – is the meat best just left in the bottom of the box – I don’t know much about eggs but all the ones in the supermarket were brownish colour – I thought eggs should be white – is it worth having a few ping pong balls in the box as well as a real egg
I am not sure about placement of the boxes – so much long grass around here at present – I took the shovel with me and created some bare dirt paths out of the bush and even in the bush by shifting leaves – I am not a stoat but I reckon it must be easier to run along on bare dirt than through leaves and grass
Any more thoughts guys – these bastards have got to go – even saw one run across the track last night when we were leaving – so there are plenty here  Angry

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #73 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 10:08am
Print Post  
great stuff cruz! matter of time before you start killing them now.
salt your meat baits over night so they last a it better in this hot weather. a meat bait and/or a hens egg if all you need. i rub the meat baits around the entrances into the trap for a bit of extra scent.
stoats like to travel along lines. fence lines, tracks, paths etc. i find creek edges very good myself.
i look for natural features that funnel any stoats moving along a creek into a area then set a trap box there. they prefer to travel in cover rather than in the open if they can so sets under a bit of scrub or what ever are often better than ones right out in the open.
wear gloves when you attend the traps.
any areas were prey items congregate are obvious spots.
dusting areas for the quail, areas were birds feed a lot etc. old stumps, piles of timber, etc etc were rats might nest are also good hunting grounds for stoats.
rodents are a key prey item for stoats so anywhere rodents may be is a good place.
i recall you had a rat bait station that always got hit by rats? around that area for instance would be a good place.
when you catch a stoat get as much of its scent as you can around the inside of your boxes. once the boxes have a bit of stoat scent in them they seem to catch better.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #74 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Cruz wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 8:55am:
I keep trawling back through the posts in this thread – some great information and I just wish I had focused on stoats much earlier
I have got six boxes out now plus a cage pus three tubes round the shed – still need to build six more boxes to get most of the 30 acres covered to some extent
I saw quite a few pheasants and quail yesterday – I think they moved down to the hay paddocks which was cut very late – just a week ago - saw nine bantam size pheasants in one group, six roosters in another group, and also saw some bumble bee size quail – so the stoats didn’t get them all
Bait is what I need to learn about – I suspect these new boxes are going to be pretty obvious to a stoat – maybe they need something tipped over or through them to make them stink a bit – I see Sako mentioned Canola oil – how do you use that – is a plastic bowl for some bait just going to put them off – is the meat best just left in the bottom of the box – I don’t know much about eggs but all the ones in the supermarket were brownish colour – I thought eggs should be white – is it worth having a few ping pong balls in the box as well as a real egg
I am not sure about placement of the boxes – so much long grass around here at present – I took the shovel with me and created some bare dirt paths out of the bush and even in the bush by shifting leaves – I am not a stoat but I reckon it must be easier to run along on bare dirt than through leaves and grass
Any more thoughts guys – these bastards have got to go – even saw one run across the track last night when we were leaving – so there are plenty here  Angry

3:1 recipe mixed together. Just squirt out of your squeeze bottle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards