Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Stoat trapping seminar (Read 73035 times)
Big Green
Forum Senior

Identify it then give
it one

Re: Stoat trapping seminar
Reply #45 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Well done Snuffit, have just read this whole thread and agree its something we all need to be doing, especially at PGADHSC head quarters. Smiley

I bet your Grandpappy said, "son make your first shot your best one".

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #46 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 8:44am
Print Post  
excellent snuffit! Cool

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #47 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Cruz wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:47pm:
I need some advice guys – up at the office today – had a bit of lunch and walked outside – heard a screaming noise and looked up to see a mid-size rabbit about 10m away – running fast and some other loopy looking bastard about 2m behind it – when they saw me the rabbit came back towards me and the other one took off with Cruz hard on its heals
Not sure which one was screaming – but I presume it was the rabbit
I didn’t know what to do – I had a sharp hoe in my hand so walked up to the rabbit but he took off and up a novaflow drain pipe
Only the second one of those I have ever seen here – I am highly offended  Angry
I had set a cat trap on Sunday evening close to the shed – had a pouch of cat tucker in it – but nothing in the trap today
Not sure what that animal was but about 300mm long, fawn and brown colour and quite skinny
So I went back up the hill ripping weeds out round my native plants and old Cruz starts sniffing down a fresh hole – I dug it out a bit so I could get my hand up to the end – it produced four fresh rabbits about 150mm long – so I have stuck one in the cat trap and three in the freezer
Is this stoat/ferret??  likely to go into a cat trap – or do I need some other type of trap – where can I get them – maybe I need a few 
I need help please – got to get this bastard before these chick are on the ground

sounds like a ferret cruz. the critter in snuffits post is a stoat, the next one down is a weasel.
yes possibly get them in a cat trap, depending on what trap you are using for cats?
a few dedicated mustelid tunnel traps would be better and give you a better kill rate.
twin sets of doc200 traps in a tunnel work very well and last for years.
bon has been using rat traps for mustelids, he may post some info on that, much cheaper.
get into the little bastards! Smiley

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #48 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Still got the cage set near the shed where I saw the loopy guy – on reflection I think he looked a bit like that one in Snuffit’s picture – man that rat he got is huge
Tarrbaby got me a rabbit – so I stuck it in the cage a couple of days back – might be tempting for him – do they still work OK when they get smelly
I have got an egg on a large rat trap in a wooden tunnel - also put out a Goodnature A24 yesterday with their special stoat lure plus some peanut butter
So three chances to catch him – but I am not sure I like my chances
There are still too many rabbits round the property and where I am working on clearing weeds and long grass off my young native trees – I keep flushing out the hen pheasants – so the loopy guy/s has so many options for a feed
I quite like the idea of the ping pong balls – less chance of breaking them while setting the trap - be good to get some ideas from Bon

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #49 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 8:44am
Print Post  
ferrets are twice the size of the stoat in snuffits pic. and blonde colored bodies, dark extremities.
rabbit will last better if you skin then cut into chunks. salt heavily and freeze.
i find meat baits catch better, egg baits last better.
they are naturally very inquisitive. they love looking through those tunnels!
when you get him, be sure to rub his arse etc all around the inside of your tunnel trap. once a tunnel has stoat scent in it they catch better.

IP Logged

Fullywired

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #50 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Need to be careful not to over salt as it can be a detergent. DOC did some work on this a few years ago. Get in contact with them and they should be able to provide you with the right "mix".

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #51 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Paul Stenning wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 7:11pm:
I was talking to Robin Thomas from the QE11 trust in the weekend who has incredible knowledge and experience in predator control. He gets very good results using bright orange ping pong balls brought from the wharehouse as bait in his traps.... not joking!

Put out our fluoro balls yesterday. Coloured the white ones with orange forestry spray. Interesting to see how they go. The latter are certainly visible. Maybe that could be the trigger when they are passing by? Curiosity killed the stoat. Sad

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #52 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Nov 4th, 2013 at 8:44am:
ferrets are twice the size of the stoat in snuffits pic. and blonde colored bodies, dark extremities.
rabbit will last better if you skin then cut into chunks. salt heavily and freeze.
i find meat baits catch better, egg baits last better.
they are naturally very inquisitive. they love looking through those tunnels!
when you get him, be sure to rub his arse etc all around the inside of your tunnel trap. once a tunnel has stoat scent in it they catch better.

Graeme Dickson who used to work for Martin Brenstrum told us that you need to hang your dead stoat next to the trap as an attractor. Best we have had is 3 from the same trap before we must have cleaned out the current population.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #53 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Pretty sure most of the rats are gone cause the bait is largely untouched in 20 stations
It seems like lots of my pheasants and quail are gone as well – just seeing a few big roosters and only a few young pheasants
Seeing a few pair of quail – yesterday I saw a pair on our access road with four chicks – while I was watching and taking pics – a skinny brown bastard ran across the road and right through the six birds – I was only about 8m away standing beside the Cruiser so must have disturbed him – the birds didn’t seem alarmed by the runner
Is it possible that the skinny animals (maybe stoat or weasel) have switched their diet from having no rats to plenty of pheasants and quail – can they kill adult pheasants
Where can I buy some traps like I see on TV tonight going into AT National Park – or something similar – my cage seems to only catch hedgehogs and the odd cat
I saw a pair of quail at home here a week or so back – they had six chicks – saw them again yesterday with no chicks – bloody cats  Angry

IP Logged

Paul Michels
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Cruz wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 6:54pm:
Is it possible that the skinny animals (maybe stoat or weasel) have switched their diet from having no rats to plenty of pheasants and quail

Unfortunately, yes and yes. It is known that removing rats without removing cats, stoats and ferrets etc can increase bird predation.

Get into those stoats though, I was wrapped to see the stoat program doc are running in the Horomanga river showing visible results with good numbers of blue ducklings. Great to see.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Ive got ping pong balls (white) plastic eggs ($2 shop) mutton fat greasing triggers dead hedgehogs,rabbits,chicken hearts baiting the 20 doc250s I use and the catch hasnt been consistant no matter what I use...in fact the fresh bait is a no go down here,its just about or has crawled out the door before it catches hedge hogs. we have trapped 5 ferrets and a stoat 5 cats 25 rats and about 80 hedge hogs over a 12mth period in a 15ha patch of dry ground with nearest creek 100yards away down one boundary, the pro ferreters tell me salmon feed pellets work well for bait.
dog roll in the wrapper works in a timms trap and somewhere else on here someone said a cat food sachet works too.

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #56 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck, with only 20 traps,and expensive ones at that,why shag about with ping pong balls? The only reason I can see why anyone would bother doing that is cost. Fresh rabbit,or Connovations do a freeze dried one which along with a hens egg will, in my opinion, give better and more consistent results. The other main thing is to put time into your sets. Cheers.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #57 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 9:32am
Print Post  
now is the time of year stoat trapping is most effective. stoat kills on my trap lines have gone through the roof as they are on the move.
the time is now! get into the little bastards fellas! Smiley

IP Logged

GQHOON
Forum Font

Reply #58 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Agree Chris. I've had some recent stoat kills in my traps also. Just sticking to eggs as bait.

Unfortunately I've got 3 hen pheasants cruising around without poults, so presumably they've lost their nests or clutch of young.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #59 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Any ideas on where to buy the trap box systems - or is it best to make your own - will the Victor rat trap kill a stoat - or do I need to buy a possum grade style of trap
I have tried the DOC manufacturer here in Tauranga but seems a waste of time
I am really pissed off if these bastards have got my pheasants - there must have been fifty of them on the property a few months back - cant see hardly any now
Poor little quail wont stand a chance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards