Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Stoat trapping seminar (Read 72836 times)
Alaska hunter
Just Joined

Hunt, Trap, Fish....repeat

Re: Stoat trapping seminar
Reply #30 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 10:40am
Print Post  
CQ,
That is a good observation.  The same happens here while trapping weasels and mink.   A set that has caught them, will continue to.  With mink once I catch a mink, I no longer re-bait it.  They add the smell for the attraction for the next one.
This happens even with lynx, year after year, there is a particular tree which always catches lynx.  I made several sets within close distance, yet the old location seems to draw them.

I hope you guys don't mind me chiming in from over here.  I certainly don't have any experience with your conditions or islands...
Here is a link to a bunch of items used here.
http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/weaseltrappinglure.aspx

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #31 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 10:43am
Print Post  
yep, thats often the way hoon. i find once a trap has mustelid smell it catches much better.
bon, when ever i get a fresh stoat i squeeze his belly till he pisses. i rub his arse, piss, etc all round the inside of the stoat box.
often the next catch is a stoat.
im trying mutton fat on the inside of the box at the mo. strong smell, waterproof and fat is always sought after. so far its just made me hungry.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #32 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Alaska hunter wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 10:40am:
CQ,
That is a good observation.  The same happens here while trapping weasels and mink.   A set that has caught them, will continue to.  With mink once I catch a mink, I no longer re-bait it.  They add the smell for the attraction for the next one.
This happens even with lynx, year after year, there is a particular tree which always catches lynx.  I made several sets within close distance, yet the old location seems to draw them.

I hope you guys don't mind me chiming in from over here.  I certainly don't have any experience with your conditions or islands...
Here is a link to a bunch of items used here.
http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/weaseltrappinglure.aspx

not at all! you fellas must be the world leaders at trapping over there. always great to see/hear new ideas etc.
some interesting lures etc. pretty sure we would have problems importing it with gland product etc.

IP Logged

sidelock
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #33 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
GQHOON wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 10:20am:
A while back I had a couple of trap placements that simply were never as effective as the other traps in the line, no matter what I did to adjust the location or bait etc. So I physically swapped the traps and boxes for other ones in the line that had sucessfully caught weasels. Within 48 hours, one trap had its first kills, and within 72 hours, so had the second one.

I can only think that by using traps that had fresh scent on it, encouraged the weasels to come and have a closer look, when they would have just kept going by.

Does it help to do a bait drag to the trap or just leave it be?we are useing rabbit is there better bait?

IP Logged

Paul Stenning
Donor Member

Does life exist north
of the Mataura?

Reply #34 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I was talking to Robin Thomas from the QE11 trust in the weekend who has incredible knowledge and experience in predator control. He gets very good results using bright orange ping pong balls brought from the wharehouse as bait in his traps.... not joking!

Never trust those who do not trust others!

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Does he catch bats? Smiley

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #36 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 10:43am:
yep, thats often the way hoon. i find once a trap has mustelid smell it catches much better.
bon, when ever i get a fresh stoat i squeeze his belly till he pisses. i rub his arse, piss, etc all round the inside of the stoat box.
often the next catch is a stoat.
im trying mutton fat on the inside of the box at the mo. strong smell, waterproof and fat is always sought after. so far its just made me hungry.

Chris,if you have a hayshed, put new  made boxes down there with some grain in and let the mice take over for a couple of weeks. Then put boxes out on the line baited for stoats.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #37 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 9:06am
Print Post  
great idea bon!
would work for my close traps but most of mine are carried into the bush quite a way.
will try it on my close ones though.
ping pong balls ay paul, interesting.

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #38 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 10:32am
Print Post  
I had a talk to an old trapper this week who has used, with great success, eels. He said they drag an eel over the ground for 100m before putting some in the trap and any ferret cutting the scent is a goner Undecided

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #39 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Paul Stenning wrote on Sep 23rd, 2013 at 7:11pm:
I was talking to Robin Thomas from the QE11 trust in the weekend who has incredible knowledge and experience in predator control. He gets very good results using bright orange ping pong balls brought from the wharehouse as bait in his traps.... not joking!

Paul is the colour material? Went into the Warehouse in Hastings yesterday but I misread your comment and was looking for red ones. Can you clarify whether the colour is the major factor. Always keen to try new tricks Thanks.

IP Logged

Paul Stenning
Donor Member

Does life exist north
of the Mataura?

Reply #40 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
sako wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 4:50pm:
Paul is the colour material? Went into the Warehouse in Hastings yesterday but I misread your comment and was looking for red ones. Can you clarify whether the colour is the major factor. Always keen to try new tricks Thanks.

He was looking for other options than eggs that were expensive when doing extensive control so thought he would use artificial eggs dipped in a powdered egg solution. But the artificial eggs were also very expensive when you need a large number. so instead decided to try ping pong balls coated in powdered egg solution.
The cheapest option was from the wharehouse with packs of a dozen that had six white ones an six flouro orange coloured ones.
He initially only used the white ones which worked well and after a while he even stopped dipping them in egg solution with no loss of effectiveness! Since he had a heap of flouro ones he though he might a well give them a try and they worked even better!

Worth a try sako?

Never trust those who do not trust others!

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #41 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks Paul. We go back to the block in November after docking and will try it out.At least our kuris dont have their fur untimely ripped just to entice those large Manapouri monsters.Still amazed about your success. Best. Wink

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #42 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
I need some advice guys – up at the office today – had a bit of lunch and walked outside – heard a screaming noise and looked up to see a mid-size rabbit about 10m away – running fast and some other loopy looking bastard about 2m behind it – when they saw me the rabbit came back towards me and the other one took off with Cruz hard on its heals
Not sure which one was screaming – but I presume it was the rabbit
I didn’t know what to do – I had a sharp hoe in my hand so walked up to the rabbit but he took off and up a novaflow drain pipe
Only the second one of those I have ever seen here – I am highly offended  Angry
I had set a cat trap on Sunday evening close to the shed – had a pouch of cat tucker in it – but nothing in the trap today
Not sure what that animal was but about 300mm long, fawn and brown colour and quite skinny
So I went back up the hill ripping weeds out round my native plants and old Cruz starts sniffing down a fresh hole – I dug it out a bit so I could get my hand up to the end – it produced four fresh rabbits about 150mm long – so I have stuck one in the cat trap and three in the freezer
Is this stoat/ferret??  likely to go into a cat trap – or do I need some other type of trap – where can I get them – maybe I need a few 
I need help please – got to get this bastard before these chick are on the ground

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #43 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
make a noise like a scared rabbit and make sure you got a gun in the hand,,
ps,them wabbits is tasty
oh yes that long skinny bastard was that way because he was too slow to catch a feed Wink

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #44 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Getting stoats regularly in the traps now and also some good sized rats

I didn't get to see the biggest rat but the old man said he thought he'd nabbed another ferret when he got the first glimpse of it from outside the trap box...  Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards