Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Stoat trapping seminar (Read 46429 times)
Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Re: Stoat trapping seminar
Reply #165 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Really enjoy your posts Cruz  Cool and they are motivational . Keep them up please. Wink Smiley

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #166 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Cruz and Chris motivated me to go and buy some Victor professional rat traps that i have baited with Goodnature possum paste, cinnamon flavour. Question please... have you ever considered that the big plastic plate needs trimming ?

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #167 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 8:18am
Print Post  
I am not sure if you can see my photobucket pictures these days - I used the fix outlined by Alan - so I can see all my historic posts and pictures
I have had a good year on mustilids around my rural lifestyle block - 1 ferret in a doc250, 3 ferrets in cages, 1 stoat in a Snap-E trap, 1 weasel in a Snap-E trap - I cant remember how many cats in cages but must be close to 10 - God knows how many rats
The point I would like to make here - is try to find the sweet spot around the farm - along shelter belts and in warm dry spots - my best spot is under a short shelter belt in a windy saddle  four rows of trees to try to stop the wind - the pheasants and quail love it - as do the cats and now this ferret - I saw a cat slope off a couple of months back and it took me about a month to get her and another week to get him - they often live in pairs and sometimes with kittens
This ferret was a nasty buggar that would fly at me from one end of the cage to the other - he could snarl and bark - had to be pacified with the Cooey 
After many years of trying to create a haven for birdlife - we succeeded - but we failed through not living there - this year we found too many plastic wads and lost too many of our pet roosters - so we have sold the property and I will revert to trapping Public land - the Te Puna Quarry Park and I will also join the Friends of the Blade group on Doc land
Sad to think of what will happen to our birdlife, but I will try to get the new owner involved - five weeks to take-over - so I might be able to squeeze in a few more pictures of cats and mustilids

IP Logged

Clegg

work is a necessary evil
to pay for hunting

Reply #168 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on Jun 30th, 2017 at 8:55pm:
Cruz and Chris motivated me to go and buy some Victor professional rat traps that i have baited with Goodnature possum paste, cinnamon flavour. Question please... have you ever considered that the big plastic plate needs trimming ?

Not a bad idea for more targeted strikes. The modified victors work on that principal and get more consistent strike locations on the head & neck with rats & head with stoats.

Putting paste bait in front of the bait well on the yellow treadle could result in non-lethal nose strikes. I have seen a DOC youtube clip showing trap baiting this way. I reckon it is better to have your bait in the bait well.

Trim 6 mm off the treadle all the way round & see how you go. Part of the fun of trapping is experimenting with lure & trap sets.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards