Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Stoat trapping seminar (Read 53477 times)
BillyXmas
Just Joined
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Stoat trapping seminar
Reply #150 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Cruz put up some photos of the trap alterations. Photos of the stoat trap last night a bloody Tom spraying all over it and sitting on the cat trap (cage time with sack over it. Chris are lamb bones any good for trapping cats been givin a lamb lots of scraps.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #151 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 6:29am
Print Post  
BX are cats turning up at same time each night????? if so
find possie 125ish yards away get spotlight and accurate .222 or .223 and you will be able to hand it its needings.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #152 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Made a start - but a bit more time than I thought
Couldn’t find any lanoline at the supermarket - chemist had a 50mm bottle for $20 - then I remembered - an aerosol can of Prolan somewhere in the shed - bought for some metal protection ten years ago
Got in the eleven trap boxes that I wanted to modify - knocked one end out as well as the netting in the viewing end - that will become the new entrance - 85mm dia
Got the new mesh from a local garden centre - $3 for enough for eight - I had a couple of spares from previous - so back for a bit more tomorrow - if anyone ever wants some it is cheap and I can cut to size for posting - most suppliers wont cut a roll
Wire brushed the traps and coated in Prolan - they look fine
The pivot pin for the yellow foot plate looks to be the critical issue - they go rusty and the foot plate gets very sticky - a mouse or small rat probably wouldn't move it - might be worth putting lanoline on that pin from day one
Just need to staple on the new mesh and screw on the tops - and back into action - they certainly needed a clean up after a couple of winters
http://www.prolan.co.nz/products

IP Logged

BillyXmas
Just Joined
Donor Member

Reply #153 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Mickey Duck, good thinking but 3 diff cats between 9-30 / 1-30 however nothing for 3 nights, gutting a rabbit by the stoat trap bought them around (not the intended result) and the skins on the fence all disappeared as well.... so gut away from stoat traps bury 3 or 4 leg holds, hang rabbit meat and skins above on the fence that night.....(tip if the feral you've caught has a flea collar shoot it then run it over then chuck it out on the road) BX

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #154 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 3:11am
Print Post  
Wink Wink WinkThats an oldy but a goody "Oh look, Twiddles got run over last night:("

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #155 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 3:32am
Print Post  
BillyXmas wrote on Jan 20th, 2016 at 6:20am:
Cruz put up some photos of the trap alterations. Photos of the stoat trap last night a bloody Tom spraying all over it and sitting on the cat trap (cage time with sack over it. Chris are lamb bones any good for trapping cats been givin a lamb lots of scraps.

Probably but they do like fresh. Fresher the better

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #156 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 7:34am
Print Post  
Cruz, have you tried hanging your meat bait from inside the lid?

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #157 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Appreciate your thoughts Bon - a bit difficult with the pivoting lid but maybe able to put a spike on the cross frame down by the mesh - might hang a chicken leg as I have run out of rabbits
I have put ten back out - most in new positions around the perimeter so I can check on the quad bike
At this stage I have put a bit of possum paste on the foot plate and three pp balls on some grass by the mesh - my main target now is rats as I think some may have been missed with the rusty trap pivot pin
I have cleaned the rust off the pivot pin but in retrospect maybe I should have biffed them - if you invest time in trapping they have to work well - will see
Now I have switched ends for access - the 85mm entry hole might be a bit big - may have to restrict the sides with a U shaped piece of 2.5mm wire stapled on the front - will see if quail  and other birds get in
I still have about fifteen bait stations on the ground or on logs with Contrac and very little bait moving so hope rats will be minimal - but they keep coming up out of a neighbours gully and get Snapped - but were not getting caught in the Victors that were rusted

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #158 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Seems to have taken a week or so for the new trap positions to settle down - 8 kills in 17 traps at the farm yesterday - couple in Snap-E traps
The changes to the boxes and trap maintenance has made a real difference - hogs are getting in easily now - yuk!

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #159 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Had to search a bit to find this thread so thought I would give it a heads up - it is too good to loose
Not much to report on trapping - the odd rat, the odd possum, a few hogs but mainly cats that keep on coming - sometimes a challenge to cage them
I have taken on a new challenge to remove magpies from around our rural block - always wondered why we had very few Kereru - but a couple of months back I saw magpies hounding a Kereru - so that was a bad mistake - very few magpies left now and we see Kereru flying around peacefully every day - those magpies are a vicious bird that chase Tui and Kereru
I am getting too many bird strikes with open traps so will build more boxes - have also changed from GN possum paste to Connovation “Smoothe in a Tube” - blue stuff it seems to be working and less attractive to birds - Billy Xmas recommends it
Friends down in Halcombe near Merrett’s place got a family of five stoats last week - one each night in a Doc200 - a fantastic result
I see Billy Xmas on Facebook yesterday picked up five ferrets down the middle of the road that someone had run over - an even more fantastic result - you can see him and his results on - https://www.facebook.com/groups/SouthHeadPestControl/ - he is an amazing trapper with 416 critters killed recently - it is a closed group but just apply and they will let you in
After 10 months away to repair a knee injury - I am back doing volunteer trapping at the local Quarry Park - so hope to get a few possums and rats
Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all you pest controllers 

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #160 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Awsome thread we have serious ferret problems witch is a pain as we have huge numbers of quail getting around have a heap of those yellow box traps lying around might try get them out round the place in the new year

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #161 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I have had this Doc250 for about two years - moved it all round the farm and never caught a mustilid in it - just hogs and rats - but never bothered to trap a small area down near the highway. I shifted it down there two weeks ago - beside a shelter belt with a nice clean dirt run sprayed out from the trunks to an adjacent electric fence - near 1km of easy travel for a mustilid or cat - with plenty of pheasant, quail and rabbits
First check last week showed a small hog - checked it yesterday - bingo - got a ferret - I run it with three pp balls and a leg of smelly rabbit
Nailed him on the post - maybe his mates or some stoats will check out the sweet ferret odour - I read that stoats are attracted to ferret scent

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #162 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
I have been plagued with rabbits this year. Saw a stoat down by the yards so set a cage trap with fresh rabbit. Bang. two little 'uns  peering out from under the sack the next morning. So set up the other trap and they have been flat out for the past 5 nights. Last night was the first with no stoats. 13 in all in 7 nights. Wondered where all the quail had gone Sad Sad Sad

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #163 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Great result XR,  Cool you have to keep after the little mongrels.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #164 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Giving this tread a bump - too good to lose! - hope you game bird hunters nailed some predators while you were out hunting
Yesterday  - a cage is tripped - a cute wee face is looking out of the darkness - the full black plastic sheeting and big chunks of fresh bunny is doing the job - warm and dry in there
Had to go and get the Cooey to do some closeup work - tempted to put my hand in there to see if it was as friendly as it looked - but put the Cooey between the wires instead
Second one in that cage in the last few weeks - got one in a Doc250 round New Year and a stoat in a Victor Pro and in a Snap-E - along with a constant supply of cats and these buggars - little wonder the Quail have gone and Pheasants are well down in numbers
Other than the ferrets - just getting hogs and rats - they just keep on coming from somewhere

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards