Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Stoat trapping seminar (Read 54942 times)
matauri
Forum Senior

My son is not better at
hunting than me

Re: Stoat trapping seminar
Reply #15 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
The Irony is not lost, chris.
Its just some hunters are not  s toatly committed.
They  are w easily distracted and their efforts are not enough fer ret to be effective on a trap line. Cheesy Cheesy

Phew!!

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Got a stoat today in a trap i had set in a rabbit hole he must of thought he was going to have rabbit for his lunch .Yet my doc 200+250 ive had set for a month only 1 hedgehog. Smiley

IP Logged

AFKAB
Banned

Reply #17 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 7:58am
Print Post  
hauraki hunter wrote on Sep 18th, 2013 at 7:16am:
Got a stoat today in a trap i had set in a rabbit hole he must of thought he was going to have rabbit for his lunch .Yet my doc 200+250 ive had set for a month only 1 hedgehog. Smiley

Stoats and ferrets can be fickle, nothing for ages and then one trap will catch a bunch. A useful tip, though not very practicle is to keep baits as fresh as possible. It's pretty hard to compete this time of the year with a wealth of young prey about- today I was able to abandon my truck and chase down (gazell like) a leveret. Took it back showed Max at the truck who was highly impressed (he's not allowed to chase them or their parents) and then I let the squeeling little hua go, proving I have more compassion than a stoat!

IP Logged

Alaska hunter
Just Joined

Hunt, Trap, Fish....repeat

Reply #18 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 6:09am
Print Post  
Do the stoats change color in winter to white? Like an ermine or weasel here in the US?  They look similar and I have trapped a good # of them.  Are you allowed to use a lure at the traps as well as a bait?

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #19 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 6:48am
Print Post  
no they pretty much stay that color. you can use what ever you like, the more killed the better.
they are a major introduced predator here and take a heavy toll on native wildlife.

IP Logged

rural

Reply #20 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 8:19am
Print Post  
I've trapped an ermine stoat here in NZ in the winter and seen others at times in my car headlights. 

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

stags blood...harts blood...hearts
blood

Reply #21 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 9:28am
Print Post  
when I was in the employ of DOC I sorted through hundreds of trapped stoats from the BOP area.  No ermines in there but then I saw one on the Mangatoatoa hut clearing one day in June or July so there is the very odd one in that area-although to be fair MTT is pretty high elevation and pretty cold as well.  Maybe there are more again in the deep south?  Certainly I wouldn't expect too many in the winterless north Smiley

On your final day in a single moment all you own you would give for the things, that all your life were free.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #22 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 10:31am
Print Post  
not white ferrets?

IP Logged

rural

Reply #23 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Certainly not but i have trapped them also. They're albinos with pink eyes.

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 9:22am
Print Post  
I've seen white stoats in winter Chris,South island.

Alaska hunter, the stoat is identical to your long tail weasel. Over most of NZ they don't change colour,just sometimes in the high country during winter.

If targeting stoats and rats ,I just use a Victor pro rat trap,at 8$ ea they are a far better proposition than DoC 200 or 250 which are over kill and bloody expensive.

IP Logged

Alaska hunter
Just Joined

Hunt, Trap, Fish....repeat

Reply #25 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Bon, that is what I use as well.  I make a box with a 2.5 hole drilled in it about 2" up from the bottom to keep voles out and the trap set up against the front of the box, bait in the back.

I don't know about your ability to order or shipping costs, but a man by then name of Asa Lenon makes a great lure for the weasels.   I still use a small piece of duck or beaver for bait, but it isn't required with the lure.

This forum on trapping in the US has a lot of pictures and knowledge from folks who catch a lot.  Might be worth a read
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1034047/35

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

stags blood...harts blood...hearts
blood

Reply #26 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Sep 21st, 2013 at 10:31am:
not white ferrets?

no Chris definitely not as I am familiar with various ferret colour phases also.  I had a really good look for over a minutevand could clearly see the black tail tip, small size etc. 

I had a yarn to some of the DOC mustelid experts and they basically said the same as Bon. Uncommon but not unknown in SI and occasionally high elevation NI. I could hardly credit my eyes at the time either.

Anyone importing scent lures would have to be careful at the border with biosecurity especially if it has real animal product in it.

On your final day in a single moment all you own you would give for the things, that all your life were free.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #27 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
well bugger me i never knew that! cheers guys.
yeah would be keen to find out more about this weasel lure. wonder if we can get it into the country.

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Chris,you could try making your own. They generally start with glands from beneath the tail and add whatever they think till they get something that works well. Most are closely guarded secrets.

IP Logged

GQHOON
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #29 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
A while back I had a couple of trap placements that simply were never as effective as the other traps in the line, no matter what I did to adjust the location or bait etc. So I physically swapped the traps and boxes for other ones in the line that had sucessfully caught weasels. Within 48 hours, one trap had its first kills, and within 72 hours, so had the second one.

I can only think that by using traps that had fresh scent on it, encouraged the weasels to come and have a closer look, when they would have just kept going by.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards