Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Stoat trapping seminar (Read 46531 times)
sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Stoat trapping seminar
Reply #135 - May 11th, 2015 at 2:04am
Print Post  

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #136 - May 25th, 2015 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Saw another recipe for cleaning rust which is molasses with water on a 1:9 ratio.[10 per cent solution by volume of molasses in water (1 part molasses to 9 parts water) The dude bought the horse molasses from Farmlands. The article is in the Shed magazine April/May pg 6.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #137 - May 25th, 2015 at 5:02am
Print Post  
wonder if the sweetness would give you a high rat kill?

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #138 - May 25th, 2015 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Some of our DOC250s at the Park are getting a bit scungy inside - might be general dampness or might be some of the Connovation Salmon spray I squirt around
I see one of your pics Chris, you had a scrubbing brush beside your gear - do they need a scrub out now and again - or does that just upset the sweat smells of deceased rats and hogs
We have now kill trapped 131 Possums, 200 Rats and 20 Hogs - God knows how many killed with bait - but still haven’t touched a stoat or ferret 

I saw a cat up the farm a week back so set a cage - didn’t get the cat but got a quarter grown kitten - bound to be a few more of them with Mum but too much travel for me to operate a cage and check it daily so I need another solution - get lucky with a 22 while I am working up there or try a kill trap
I picked up some No6 Fenns on TM a few months back but have only used a couple in dry culverts to clean up some rabbits - but also caught some Hogs - so gave up - can anyone think of a suitable housing for some Fenns that might catch a cat

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #139 - May 25th, 2015 at 10:00am
Print Post  
good tally there Cruz Cool
once a year over winter i would give every trap on my lines a good clean.
i carry a paint scraper and remove the internal mesh and give the whole inside of the box a good scrape out.
then the traps get a good scrub with a wee wire brush, especially any rusty areas.
a scrub in the creek if theres one handy then a good all over oiling with lanolin oil.
especially any moving parts.
traps last better and trigger more reliably if they are well maintained.

IP Logged

wyattearp
Just Joined

Reply #140 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 6:04am
Print Post  
hopfully taking this guy out mite save a few ducklings and pheasant chicks, caught in a doc 200 trap near the dam that i shoot on.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #141 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 6:22am
Print Post  
its a "good ferret" now Wink

IP Logged

Duckpression

Reply #142 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 7:47am
Print Post  
bit off topic but caught a tom cat using tuna as bait  Wink

duck fever: disease duck hunters commonly suffer from during the off season.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #143 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Thought I would give this thread a refresh - it’s too good to get lost
Lots of young quail around at present - easy meat for any predator
I saw a hen pheasant fly yesterday - young chicks calling for her to come back - which she did - easy for a predator to track them down with all the noise
I checked most of my traps and bait stations - one lousy rat in about fifteen traps and buggar all bait moving - cats and possums have all gone - so it all gets a bit boring - wish I could catch some stoats
I quite like the Snap-E traps - bit safer on fingers than the Victors - will have to replace most of my Victor traps in boxes as they have gone rusty
Hope you trappers have some success stories out there to motivate people

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #144 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 5:46am
Print Post  
I enjoy your posts Cruz.

Been slow in my traps this year, I had not checked them for a couple of weeks and found a very manky hedgehog   Embarrassed

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #145 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 5:58am
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on Jan 18th, 2016 at 5:46am:
I enjoy your posts Cruz.

Been slow in my traps this year, I had not checked them for a couple of weeks and found a very manky hedgehog   Embarrassed
                                    Hedgehogs go manky in 24hrs i put a spike through them to get them out of the doc traps and turn my nose off. Wink

IP Logged

OWS
Donor Member

Let's get some deer

Reply #146 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
I put a few DOC200s around my ponds a few months ago. Caught my first stoat this week! Hopefully that means there aren't too many around .....

You wot?

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #147 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Cruz'
What they do down here with the' victors' is to use lanoline spray oil and a bronze wire brush[think tooth brush size] and give them a good scrub up every now and then.
Some traps are years old and still catching.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #148 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 12:59am
Print Post  
[quote author=7246555A575D476B7B4646340 link=1378501783/70#70 date=1389949536]Constructed the first couple of traps today – a bit rough so maybe some variations tomorrow
Couldn’t buy any square mesh so had to settle for a viewing hole with some netting
The box is 400mm long – made of 150*20*1200 palings – all glued and nailed
Got the trap positioned close to the entrance hole so he might jump on the foot plate
Started off with an egg and a chicken drumstick for bait couldn’t see any bunnies so fresh meat may have to come later
Total cost of a trap was $3 for the wood and $5.50 for the trap – nails, glue and other bits sitting on the shelf – plus a bit of time

Thanks for the advice threeoeight - I am going to bring in my first ten boxes for maintenance - will wire brush the traps and give them some lube - might save some concerned looks from my wife about buying more trap gear
I am going to knock out the end with the small hole and convert that end to steel mesh - will take the wire netting off the other end to give them a larger entry hole - will convert the top to a screw latch instead of the silly wire hooks
I am sick of getting down on my knees to see if there is anything in a trap box
I am also going to open up the steel mesh entry openings on all my other trap boxes (250s etc) - I reckon two pieces of mesh out each way is not quite enough - hogs are really having trouble getting in and I am having real trouble getting them out
Also been reading back through the two threads on stoat trapping - I am going to find some ponga logs and set up some Fenns like “Traps” showed us in Stoat Trapping Notes - tunnel - trap - tunnel and no stinking bait - might even try a few Fenns in culverts now the rain has stopped

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #149 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Lanolin oil works real well in my experience.
I carry a pair of pliers, oil and a small wire brush and clean up the traps as I go.
Once a year they get a real good on site clean up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards