Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Stoat trapping seminar (Read 72984 times)
sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Stoat trapping seminar
Reply #120 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Same sort of design but he does not use the mesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw1Gfa35R9E

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #121 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 7:13pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #122 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Hi Guys - the work goes on - I am enjoying the challenges of killing bird predators - I keep thinking I have got them beat but they often have other ideas
I am still waiting for my first mustilid at the farm or at the Park - but I am happy killing possums, rats and hedgepigs
At the Park† - we are operating around 80 rat and possum bait stations and around 100 rat and possum traps
Quail numbers in the Park have exploded - similar at the farm with the added bonus of heaps of young
pheasants
We have just changed from Ditrac to Contrac for rats - bastards just stopped eating Ditrac a couple of months back and rats have come back in big numbers - stripping bait from possum traps - maybe a seasonal issue with other food sources
We have just deployed about 60 rat traps and its very satisfying to be removing bodies from traps again
We are now using GN orange paste on both possum and rat traps - it is very effective
Along with eggs - we are using Connovation dried rabbit bait and Salmon spray lure in the stoat traps - the dried rabbit is like a magnet to rats as they cross the plate in the DOC250 traps - they always die with their nose on the rabbit bait blocks

I have caught rats and hedgepigs in the Victor stoat/rat boxes - how a hedgepig can get through a 60mm square hole - I donít know but I keep the trap fairly close to the entrance now so they donít get too stuck - once a box has had a hedgepig in it - they seem to keep on coming

Also catching a lot of rats in Timms with hair trigger setting - using a milk bottle top on the rod with GN orange paste - possums and rats love it

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #123 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 9:14am
Print Post  
good stuff Cruz. I read in our local group's newsletter that when professional trappers came through our area they were amazed/alarmed at the number of ferrets around. We've got our traps set 24/7 with weekly checking but catch rates are down, we've not taken a ferret for weeks.... additional food around for the critters? Avoiding the baits? We're still smashing over rats in droves.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #124 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Finally getting around to making your traps but wood merchants down here don't do 160 only 150 or 200 . So need to cut down 200 palings.Do we nail or use screws because your latest version seems to show screws i.e. 60 square heads. Presumably you staple the mesh not nail it? A mate to overcome sneaky mustelids is using jag hooks suspended from the lid with meat so if they grab it they are hooked. All his traps baited this way have kills. Time consuming he says but very effective .They end up dead on the trap when they prance around which sets it off.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #125 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Hi Sako - boxes are all nailed - only two screws - one with a hex head and washer for the hinge and a No2 square head for quick access - bit of glue might be useful† †
The DOC250s came with a hex head bolt for access but I got sick of trying to find the spanner so have converted them to No2 square heads
Mesh is stapled - has buckled a bit as the wood shrunk
Mind out for the Victor traps - they can be a bit hairy - one got my right thumb and a T Rex got my left thumb - wife asked me if I learned anything† Embarrassed
Got the possum kill up to 116 now and rat kill up to 110 in about six weeks of putting out the new traps - rats are loving the new Contrac bait lots of stations stripped in first week - we wasted a lot of time on Ditrac bait

IP Logged

Ackley

Reply #126 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Hope your reply to your wife was "about what?" Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #127 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
great kill tally. keep up the great work.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #128 - May 1st, 2015 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Not sure if this is already mentioned. Carrying on from Paul Stennings tip a mate is using golf balls as the egg bait. It cost him dearly because he flogged his mates top of the line bag of balls.His mates wife cottoned on to his deed and extracted a cut and colour as the price for being quiet.He now knows why hairdreessers drive around in porsches. Grin But he is also trialling marshmallows dunked or syringed with fish oil.Going to trial the latter next month.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #129 - May 10th, 2015 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Bought some Fenn traps half which needed cleaning i.e. rust and accumulated muck. Got a horrendous quote to sand blast them. The solution is to dunk them in bucket of half vinegar and water. Left for a week. Pull out and hose off. It works. Rust comes off real easy.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #130 - May 10th, 2015 at 8:27am
Print Post  
sako wrote on May 10th, 2015 at 8:15am:
Bought some Fenn traps half which needed cleaning i.e. rust and accumulated muck. Got a horrendous quote to sand blast them. The solution is to dunk them in bucket of half vinegar and water. Left for a week. Pull out and hose off. It works. Rust comes off real easy.

once cleaned i give mine a good heavy spray with aerosol fisholene oil. it drys sort of hard almost like a varnish and keeps them in good condition.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #131 - May 10th, 2015 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Where do you buy this?

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #132 - May 10th, 2015 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
think i got it from supercheap auto.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #133 - May 10th, 2015 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Check this lazy way of cleaning.Found it after found the other article.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1013515/Electrolytic_Rust_...

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #134 - May 11th, 2015 at 1:51pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards