Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Stoat trapping seminar (Read 72857 times)
Micky Duck
Ex Member

Re: Stoat trapping seminar
Reply #105 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 8:29am
Print Post  
nice...thats a goodun Grin

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #106 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Snuffit wrote on Apr 19th, 2014 at 5:20pm:
Still trappin', still killin'

Heaps of ducks in ponds† Cool

Great solution for these ugly animals Snuffit
Still killin and plenty of ducks on your ponds - can you give us a bit of a run down on what sort of trapping and what sort of animals you are getting at your ponds
I thought predator control was a great opportunity for duck hunters to improve breeding success but the other thread on here about the decline of duck numbers indicates itís a very complex issue
I have friends who operate traps and a lot of bait stations all over a 250 acre Manawatu farm - some fabulous planted ponds but duck breeding success is very low - couple of DOC 200 traps that they move around and all they get is stinking hedgehogs - never caught a stoat - rat bait keeps going intermittently - so they have them under reasonable control - I quizzed them about hawks - they reckon that the hawks are so full of ewe/lamb placenta at that time of the year they wouldnít be interested in ducklings
I am starting to get stinking hedgehogs in my traps - HTF do they get through a 50mm dia hole - also getting rats and mice - maybe they are feeling winter coming and want shelter

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #107 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 10:07am
Print Post  
dont be disapointed catching hedgepigs, they are a very under rated predator.
check out the teeth on the next one you catch!
those teeth are not there for munching up slugs etc.
cruz, two doc200's on 250 acres will show a very low mustelid kill. the ideal is a minimum of one trap every 200mtrs.
amazing what can squeeze their way into tunnel traps. i get possums in mine from time to time and once caught a mature tui! Huh

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #108 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Cruz, our ponds appear to be completely unsuitable for mallard breeding, however the habitat is right up the grey duck's street and we regularly have mums bring up their little grey broods there. At this time of year the ponds fill up with loafing mallards, which is what we saw yesterday.

We're running old fenns, some DOC 250s and a couple of the gas operated jobbies (which sadly have proven singularly useless for whatever reason. Likely to be user error). The traps are baited with a range of stuff - eggs/ dog roll etc. Ferrets appear to move around freely over a big range, whereas the stoats are in little communities that can be trapped effectively.

Rats are just freakin everywhere. I hate them with a passion.  Angry

IP Logged

wellycoaster
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #109 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, I'm looking at getting stuck into the stoats, they're nasty little critters.

We've had a few sightings around our chooks and have noticed we aren't getting as many eggs as we once did, we also have stopped getting morning eggs. That maybe due to the time of year though.

I like the look of cruz's set up but am wondering whether a victor professional can take a stoat. Have you guys caught stoats in them?
The weasels in the north american videos look quite small I haven't seen any NZ stoats up close but understand they're up to 40cm long. I use the victors for rats around the chooks and have had big rats escape. I'd imagine a stoat would be much stronger than a large rat.

The victor professional set up looks great but wouldn't like any escapee stoats. I bet they would become incredibly trap shy.

I was originally thinking of getting a couple of DOC 150 box sets but with the victor option I could probebly run about 5 or 6 on our 12 acre property.
Cheers.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #110 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Good question Wellycoaster - if one pulled out, they are unlikely to try again
Maurie from Victor Traps sent me a few pics of stoats that he had caught in the Victor Pro trap - check back on previous page - got him behind the head so that sucker wouldnít pull out - but on a leg maybe they could
The traps that Snufit and Chris are using look much better - also check Chrisís thread for ideas - http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1219815152
I would have gone for the DOC traps - but they were a bit expensive for me on my rural block - I still havenít got a stoat so not sure why
I have just started to clean up predators on 88 acres of a community bush block near where I live at Te Puna - only got a few bait stations going so far but will need some big numbers and truck loads of bait - not sure what they are going to provide me with for stoat traps but I reckon it will need 20 or so - they have only ever done possum bait stations which I have now put on the ground or on logs and the rats are taking bait as fast as I can fill them - lovely bush but very few birds - I have got to clean it up before next nesting season - I want to transform the place

IP Logged

bullerexpress
Forum Font

stags blood...harts blood...hearts
blood

Reply #111 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Apr 20th, 2014 at 10:07am:
dont be disapointed catching hedgepigs, they are a very under rated predator.
check out the teeth on the next one you catch!
those teeth are not there for munching up slugs etc.
cruz, two doc200's on 250 acres will show a very low mustelid kill. the ideal is a minimum of one trap every 200mtrs.
amazing what can squeeze their way into tunnel traps. i get possums in mine from time to time and once caught a mature tui! Huh

+1 on hedgehogs-they have been proven to be major predators of ground nesting birds both game and native.  Way back when the Acclimatisation societies used to give bounties on them.

I have also been doing a bit of stoat trapping both on contract and on the farm.  as Chris says regular spacings of 200m max is the way to go.  If you can down to 100 it catches more from trial work we have done.  can't remember the exact figures but each trap only catches a stoat every couple of years on average (obviously that will change depending where you are and stoat numbers but it gives the idea ).  Having said that some are better than nothing and if you have traps set in better stoat habitat you will catch proportionately more.  If I see a stoat hanging around the house/sheds or one down at the ponds I usually find it caught in one of the nearest traps within a couple of days.  I once even saw one run into a tunnel (you can see it from the lounge window)

On your final day in a single moment all you own you would give for the things, that all your life were free.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #112 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
the wife checked our traps the other day for me with son along to reset them
we have 5 plastic timms and 16 doc 250s 2 under water this week
we re baited 2 weeks ago and to try something different we grabbed bag of berley pellets from the warehouse (they look like green dog turds)
3 cats and 4 hedgehogs from 19 active traps Smiley got to be happy with that Smiley

IP Logged

GQHOON
Forum Font

Reply #113 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
That's a good effort Micky! The damage that cats can do is astounding!

IP Logged

wellycoaster
Just Joined

Reply #114 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Good stuff Micky.

Awesome, thanks for that Cruz, Chris's thread is quality.
Not sure how I missed Mauries picture plus Bon 's posts† Embarrassed Too much skim reading...
Your project sound like a good challenge, it will be rewarding when the birds start coming back. I've often thought of joining the local forest & bird and helping out with their bait station lines etc. I should really do it.

I'll make a few boxes up and give them a go, thinking of about 5 sets for the 12 acre property.
We've got a large stream and a ditch with natives and manuka growing along side them, plus the chooks and a small block of trees where rabbits hang out so they seem the most obvious spots. Quite looking forward to this† Smiley

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

wheels

Reply #115 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Version 4 of the stoat and rat buster
I am still working on pest control at the Te Puna Quarry Park - making some good progress and already people are saying the birds are back - might be imagination but there are certainly a lot more quail on the ground and Tui etc flitting round all over
I have killed in excess of fifty possums and have put out about eight large buckets of bait through about 70 bait stations - the possums are getting hard to find and the rat bait take has slowed to a dribble
I have five DOC 250s scattered round the park - rats and hedgehogs are all they have caught so far
Thinking I was making progress and last week someone sees a bloody stoat walk across the entrance road at midday
So I need some lower cost stoat/rat traps to scatter round the internal roadways - at about $12 each - I donít need to worry about obscuring them as carefully as I have done with our other traps - if they grow legs and walk away - I wonít get stressed
So version 4 has mesh at both ends - will place an egg on some grass along with a piece of chicken at one end and hopefully they will take a walk over the Victor Pro trap
I am also thinking that longer term - I will need to change to more traps and less bait - so this is a start of that move

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #116 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Cool Cool

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #117 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
good work Cruz!
good timing also, the little bastards are on the move.
had a call re a family of stoats seen at a local reserve on the edge of my main block.
mum and six young ones.
set up four box's in the area and so far have caught four of them.

the young ones were certainly ready to go forth on their own Angry
mum is the one at the top so this years young are well grown.
they will be full on now until the end of March so get those traps freshened up fellas! Cool

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Reply #118 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Cruz wrote on Dec 11th, 2014 at 2:09pm:
Version 4 of the stoat and rat buster
I am still working on pest control at the Te Puna Quarry Park - making some good progress and already people are saying the birds are back - might be imagination but there are certainly a lot more quail on the ground and Tui etc flitting round all over
I have killed in excess of fifty possums and have put out about eight large buckets of bait through about 70 bait stations - the possums are getting hard to find and the rat bait take has slowed to a dribble
I have five DOC 250s scattered round the park - rats and hedgehogs are all they have caught so far
Thinking I was making progress and last week someone sees a bloody stoat walk across the entrance road at midday
So I need some lower cost stoat/rat traps to scatter round the internal roadways - at about $12 each - I donít need to worry about obscuring them as carefully as I have done with our other traps - if they grow legs and walk away - I wonít get stressed
So version 4 has mesh at both ends - will place an egg on some grass along with a piece of chicken at one end and hopefully they will take a walk over the Victor Pro trap
I am also thinking that longer term - I will need to change to more traps and less bait - so this is a start of that move

ferrts are in the te puna area lots of mustlids in tauranga

IP Logged

wellycoaster
Just Joined

Reply #119 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Good going there Chris and Cruz Smiley

Cruz, with bait Ive been using freeze dried rabbit from connovation. Stays good in the traps for a month then I think it loses a bit of smell, could be worth a try.

I have to go around and check my traps and rebait. Ive been lazy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards