Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Stoat trapping seminar (Read 72847 times)
chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Re: Stoat trapping seminar
Reply #90 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
TB wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 9:59pm:
+1 Ive just ordered 12 traps. looking forward to targeting the little buggers.

shit hot TB! good on you man, get stuck into the little shits Cool

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #91 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
went out for walk around the line last night shooting 3 rabbits as we went..had 4 hedge hogs 1 ferret head...yes thats right only its head left the rest had been eaten out of a doc250 box and in the next box 100mtrs on a big ferret it could only just fit into first compartment of box. spotted a scungy cat so will get the timms traps rebaited with dog roll and get that hua too.

IP Logged

Toni

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #92 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
For a fish smell without the rotten problem you guys might try that fish oil bait booster stuff from the fishing shop.The stuff I use doesn't go rotten and I put a squirt of this into sardine and other little tins for lure trays.
Got 18 wild cats in a week recently using this stuff,had sucess with the mustilids too with it.
Be interested in you guys results with it.
  Good Luck  Toni.

IP Logged

Clegg

work is a necessary evil
to pay for hunting

Reply #93 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Landcare Research have been doing some work making the Victor Professional rat trap (now called Victor Easy Set) an effective stoat trap. See attached link to a paper just published. 

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0086760

Seems unmodified traps will kill some stoats but if they get hit on the neck they can pull out & escape.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #94 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
be a bloody sight easier carrying those in instead of doc200 and wooden tunnels!

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #95 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Maurie from Victor Traps sent me a few pictures of stoats he had caught
I don’t think he enjoyed the piece of bacon and doesn’t look like he was going to pull out
I wish it was one of my stoats – but soon I hope – I might go back to sardines and a squirt of fish oil 

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #96 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
looks great but no good down here as we have more ferrets than wee fellas...and they arent small either. noticed alot of them as road kill lately. the rat/stoat trap idea looks good but I guess you would need to limit entry by size of hole to avoid trap shy bigger fish...so to speak...
the guys doing it full time told me the pellets from salmon farm are good bait.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #97 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Cruz wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 5:49pm:
Maurie from Victor Traps sent me a few pictures of stoats he had caught
I don’t think he enjoyed the piece of bacon and doesn’t look like he was going to pull out
I wish it was one of my stoats – but soon I hope – I might go back to sardines and a squirt of fish oil 

hope youre saving the skins

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #98 - Feb 12th, 2014 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
264Magic wrote on Feb 12th, 2014 at 7:41pm:
hope youre saving the skins

they stink!!!! Shocked

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #99 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Cruz wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:39am:
Made a few changes from the first one in the picture in my previous post – all a bit rough – cut with a skill saw – fit where they touch
Version 1 was made with 160*20*1200 fence palings from ITM – problem with the 20mm timber is it leaves a bit much space in the bottom of the box and you need to use a packer down the sides to make sure the trap stays in the centre – timber is a bit unstable and needs to be nailed before it warps
Version 2 was made with 160*25*1200 fence palings – timber is much stronger – the gap inside is perfect for the trap - but trap ends up a bit heavier - $1.30 per paling so two per trap with a bit of waste
Version 3 – I found some 20mm welded mesh for the bait end of the trap – much better for the animal to view his last supper – I also used a bit of 50*40 across the top at the mesh end as it is much stronger to pivot the top with a decent size coach bolt – much easier to staple some mesh than to drill a large viewing hole with netting cover
The box is 400mm long less the saw cut – so three pieces out of one paling – cut the top (500mm or less maybe) and an end out of the other paling – a bit of spare which is useful if you are making a few
I have just made three of the latest version – I am going to use them round our subdivision where we have about twenty one acre sections – about half the boundaries are onto a tidal estuary and the rest is onto various avocado orchards – there should be lots of quail and pheasants but instead we have lots of fat rats that love avocados, lots of rabbits and people see the odd stoat – very few quail and pheasants
I stirred up some interest in predator control – one neighbour set five rat bait stations a few weeks back and is still feeding them – another has caught 22 in a cage – poor quail didn’t stand a chance – but where you have avocado orchards – you have heaps of rats
The entry hole is 50mm – I got most of the ideas off the net – watching trapper Joe or his mates in Wisconsin or other places
Left my small staples up at the farm so couldn’t attach the latches – just made out of a bit of 2mm soft wire
I am going to give the bait pan a miss and just put the bat on the floor up by the mesh – should also be easier to shake out the maggots through the mesh

Ordered 20 traps. Can you give us the specs on all the wood cuts. My son and his mates are going to do it as a project. Cheers.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #100 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Hi Sako
Most of the detail is in the previous script - three pieces (sides and bottom) out of a single 1200*160*25 fence paling
The top needs to be a bit longer to cover at both ends - Trapper Joe in Wisconsin may have made the overhang a bit longer to keep the snow out of the entry hole
The sides sit on top of the bottom piece so you get a good fit for the trap - cut the front end to fit the sides and bottom
Use a bit of 50*40 (or similar) for the top at the viewing end - a solid piece for the screw that pivots the top
Get a packet of 60*2.8 galv flat head nails - as well as some galv coach bolts and large washers for the top pivot
Make some latches out of 2mm soft wire - 100mm long - staple them to the sides of the front and the latch staples in the sides of the top - the latches will hold the top in place and stop it twisting when it dries out
Glue all joints with plenty of PVA glue 
Drill the 50mm holes in the front after you have built the boxes and before you attached the top - that way you can put your boot in the box to hold it steady - cause hole saws can jamb
Also drill a 6mm hole in each front corner of the bottom - water needs to drain out of each end - or the untreated wood on the Victor trap might rot if sitting in water too long
Get the timber from somewhere like ITM - tell them what you are doing and ask for perfect pieces from down in the stack - keep them block stacked until you use them
You will need to find some outfit that will cut short lengths of mesh - most sell rolls and won’t cut it - staple the mesh to the timber using a heavy grade stapler
Early on - I put three nails in the bottom to hold an egg - got rid of them and got rid of the stinking bait trays - I now just use a handful of dry grass to sit the egg and ping pong balls on
That’s about it - I still haven’t caught a stoat - just rats and mice - I haven’t seen a stoat or weasel for the last couple of months - but they will make a mistake one day and a Victor will get them  Grin

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #101 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks. Got our 20 traps via courier this morning. As it will be dry over Easter it will give us something to do. Grin

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #102 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 10:54am
Print Post  
good stuff sako, great to see the young fellas getting into it! Cool

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #103 - Apr 19th, 2014 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Still trappin', still killin'

Heaps of ducks in ponds  Cool

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #104 - Apr 19th, 2014 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
great stuff mate, good predator to kill there! Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards