Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) LED torches: purchase suggestions (Read 66983 times)
mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: LED torches: purchase suggestions
Reply #15 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Quick comment on some 18650 battery length problems in some lights.

Originally these 18650 batteries so named because were are 18mm wide and about 65mm long. But more recently with protected cells these batts can be 67mm long (Trustfire 3000s) or 69-70mm long (Panasonics), and while the 67mm Trustfires usually fit and switch operates correctly, the 69.4mm panasonics can give problems. Usually solved by loosening tube thread or tailcap by a turn or two.

The panasonic 2900/3100/3400s give good runtimes after a few charges and are becoming increasingly popular, so I've mentioned this issue to Maxtoch. They make this comment:

"We will adjust the length of spring and flashlight body in new model SN. In this case, the new model should be able to fit the longer batteries"

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #16 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 10:52am
Print Post  
That's great news they are listening to advice and are willing to make a few changes aye Muddy Smiley doubt there would be too many manufacturers like that.
I have a new charger on the way from fastTech Smiley

I'd appreciate a heads up when the new sn torches with the adapted springs etc.. come out. I might get 1 or 2 and some of those Panasonic 3400 batteries sound worth a go.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Check with manualman which panasonics are best - some higher mAh batts like the 3400s may not be quite so good for runtime in some light setups. He might know details

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Just a reminder with so many people buying these lights now of the simple way to deal with too long batteries.

The maxtoch like most other 18650 lights was designed for standard length 18650 batts - i.e. 18mm wide and 65mm long. But the new protected cells like the panasonics etc are 69-70mm long and if you screw the tailcap tight on them the torch may cut out - lose contact.

Simple way to do it is put longer batts in, start to screw on tailcap, switch on light, then continue to screw on tailcap til light cuts out, then come back half a turn or so. End of problems.

Alternatively you can take switch with spring out of tailcap, clip spring back 4-5m and re-level it, then refit in cap.

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #19 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Picture of figure 8 mount after chop with 25mm gun mount.

You can rotate the chopped '8' 90 degrees on the scope and have the option of mounting two off the one mount on both side s of the scope.

Add one of these to your torches:
http://dx.com/p/25mm-gun-mount-5523
And take a hack saw to the non weaver end of one of these:
http://dx.com/p/universal-gun-mount-with-hex-wrench-33755

IP Logged

moonhunt

1080% pure NZ

Reply #20 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Thank you for putting this up, very very helpful

IP Logged

StrikerNZ

Reply #21 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
How much spill does the A60 have?

I need a long range scope-mounted light for wallaby shooting, but finding the SN6X or C8 both give me too much glare back off the suppressor, so looking for a tight hotspot with minimal spill, but still more range than x2000 etc. (will be used in combination with a handheld SN6X)

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #22 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 1:01am
Print Post  
A60 has very tight little beam - should be ok.

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #23 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Camo tape over the suppressor can be good at stopping glare

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 5:17am
Print Post  
There is a holdup with transport of lithium ion batteries thru many airlines at the moment until they agree on new safe packaging processes. Some orders get thru from overseas companies, some don't.

My suggestion in the interim is buy from kiwi suppliers - dearer but wil get people started. I've no doubt the issue will get sorted as 18650 batts a very popular worldwide commodity. Main thing is don't buy crap brands like ultrafire off trademe.

Here are some better brands:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/batteries/rechargeable/other/au....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/batteries/rechargeable/other/au....

http://tacticaltorch.co.nz/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

http://www.mrpositive.co.nz/18650-lithium-ion-batteries/

Brands to look for - panasonic, Xtar, sanyo, nitecore and samsung. Note you'll need protected cells that have button tops. I read good reviews on the Sanyo 2600s recently and they're not too expensive at $22 a pair here. Watch for these better brand batts on trademe.

There are also Marsfire Sanyo 2600s showing up on trademe. A couple of reviews suggest they're ok - around 2400mAh genuine:

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Hi
Iíve been reading this thread with interest as I want to buy a light for night hunting.† I know nothing about hunting lights and from reading the thread there seems to be a reasonable amount of prior technical knowledge apparent in the discussion so Iíd like to check my understanding and learn a bit more from some of you knowledgeable folk.
It seems that† the Maxtoch SN6X-2 is one of the most recommended hunting lights with the upgraded SN6X-2s even brighter but heavier. And I see there is talk of a new lightweight light. I have read a lot about dedoming. Exactly what is this?† If it increases the light produced considerably, why donít the manufacturers do it?† Is a dedomed light as reliable and long lasting as a factory produced one?† Who does† dedoming? Can any handyman/electrician do this?
With respect to chargers, why are some better than others? I can understand that difference in the quality of batteries. If the Panasonic batteries are too long for some lights, what other good quality alternatives would you recommend?
Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

mauser308
Donor Member

Reply #26 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Having just gone down this track, here's what I'm finding or have found...

There really isn't much between the sn6x-2x and sn6x-2s in terms of useable output, both are f-ing bright...† However the 2x is slightly heavier and noticeably fatter at the front end - the extra diameter is in my opinion more of a hassle than the extra weight (but then I have no issue carting a heavy barrel rifle all day YMMV).†

Chargers, I got the Nitecore i4 basically so I can power it from virtually anything 12vDC-240vAC and charge from individual batts through to four at a time.† Little bit pricier than some others, but not much.†

Batteries, I got Panasonic protected 3400mA - here you might want to go for a smaller 3100mA or the like unprotected which are the 'true' 18650 batts (18mm diameter and 65mm long which is what the torches are designed for) not actually 18700 which the 3400mA measure at.† I'm making up some plastic spacing rings to make the torches the right length to fit the batteries as I have a lathe at home, if you don't just get batteries that fit.† The protected bit means you can't over-discharge the battery as the internal circuit turns off at a preset voltage like a modern cordless drill etc...

As far as dedoming, get the torch and see how it goes first.† It makes a difference having seen one that's been dedomed but it might not be of any major benefit to you.† Best to have a read up of the info on google for the background.

I've come from LED Lenser and Coast type/brand torches to the Maxtochs, as good a build quality as good or better performance but at a fraction of retail counter price for the name brands.† Less frilly crap with it though.

Oh yeah, be prepared to wait.  Took near 7 weeks for mine to turn up from China...

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 5:17am
Print Post  
Thanks for that Mauser, but could you please explain exactly what dedoming is?

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #28 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 5:57am
Print Post  
It's removing the blob of glue that sits on top of the LED

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Thanks Rugerman. if it makes such a difference why doesn't the manufacturer do this?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards