Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) LED torches: purchase suggestions (Read 67330 times)
XRhunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: LED torches: purchase suggestions
Reply #135 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Those bicycle lights from Aliexpress are cheap 'cause the battery packs are very poorly constructed. I've got 4, 2 Maxtoch (no longer made) and 2 clones. They look like the WalE character. The lights themselves throw fantasticallyn (for such tiny lights) as they have reasonably decent reflectors built into them. The buttons are not robust, so be careful with them. One has collapsed, and its only been used 4 times. One has had the 4 x 18650 battery pack fail completely (charger no longer recognises the battery pack) and that light has only been used 5 times. Mind you they only cost $25, so what do you expect.
Finally, they are a very noisy light electronically. They emit heaps of interference, for GoPro's, hand held radios and the battery FM radio in the shed.

But for shear output from such a tiny light they are hard to beat. Just have to permanently wire them up to the motor bike now. That's going to require rectifiers,capacitors and voltage converters Shocked Should be worth it in the end

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #136 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
what is the latest battery we are supposed to buy now.
I need to buy some new ones.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

gonetropo
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #137 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 8:34am
Print Post  
hi all, time for my first post.
i "inherited" the repairs of all things electrical from a major sporting goods chain and repair mountains of torches and spotlights for them. from halogen, led thru h.i.d i've seen and repaired 100's of them along with electronic decoys, noise cancelling earmuffs etc. to be honest maxtoch is the way to go as far as led torches go. i was blown away by them and they made my led lenser look like a yellow candle.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #138 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Yep the Maxtoch 2X is the best all-purpose hunter light in the world at the moment. Will do both scope mounting or handheld roles, and combines both long distance spot (1200m) with beam spill for paddock scanning. Also has good CRI (colour rendition) whereas many light models still using cool white leds which wash out colour. There are some more powerful lights but they are much bigger and heavier - from 800gms to 1.5gms with batts in. 2X is a lightweight racehorse at 400gms loaded. Brian and I haven't seen any new leds/setups that would cause us to alter the present 2X, or the slightly lighter M24 which is also amazing.

IP Logged

Vanman
Donor Member

Reply #139 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
This headtorch might be worth adding to the list in the first post:

Non zooming, but a good, cheap, general purpose head torch with the interesting motion sensing feature where waving your hand in front of the torch turns it on and off. Smiley

No low voltage warnings so beware if you use unprotected cells.

There is some good discussion about it over on Budget Light Forums here.

As with most Chinese headtorches I have tried, the elastic straps could do with being a bit longer.

Who knew having kids was soooo expensive??!

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #140 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Good to see - let us know how it tests out in the field. We are fortunate with the smaller headlamps at the moment - some good brands about including zebralight, nitecore, black diamond etc. Add to that the new maxtoch HO1 which should appear any day. Good range of lights so guys can pick one to suit their specific task.

IP Logged

Hungry
Just Joined

Reply #141 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Any idea when the Maxtoch H01 will be available again?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards