Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 6.5x300wsm build (Read 1163 times)
tikkakid
Just Joined

I Love tikka 270s

6.5x300wsm build
Jul 30th, 2013 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
could I rebarrel a carl gusof m/38 to a 6.5x300wsm

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: 6.5x300wsm build
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 9:21am
Print Post  
I don't think so, copied from http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/military-surplus-rifles/m96-vs-m38-swede-action/

They do, but I think you're missing something.  The M38 Husqvarna IS a Mauser.  It's just a small ring Mauser.  Husqvarna simply refers to the location it was made in.

They do have the thumb slot; the small ring mauser action (the 93 Spanish, 94 Swedish, 96 Swedish, 38 Swedish, and probably another couple that I missed) differs from the large ring mauser action (98 German and most other Mauser actions) in the following ways:

1. As you mentioned, the large ring actions have a 3rd rear lug as a safety feature.  Small ring Mausers such as the Swedish ones do not have this 3rd lug.
2. As you also mentioned, the bolt shroud was made to better handle escaping gas in the event of a pierced primer.
3.  The large ring actions are a co*k-on-opening design, while the small rings are co*k-on-closing.  co*k-on-opening is generally accepted to be the better design.
4. The large ring action is stronger.  It can handle pressures much higher than the small ring action.  The small ring actions could never safely handle .30-06 class cartridges whilst the large ring actions can do this without any problems.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: 6.5x300wsm build
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
tikkakid wrote on Jul 30th, 2013 at 9:40pm:
could I rebarrel a carl gusof m/38 to a 6.5x300wsm

It has to be about 100 years old or more , well made at the time and I know they have been rebarreled into 270 and 30-06 by Stiga with out a problem . No one knows how long old rifle actions will last, use and metal fatigue will have an effect eventually, why on earth would you bother when there are so many modern actions available .

Stug , you missed the point with the small ring statement , Several different versions of the 98 are small ring , VZ33 for example . Husqvana made a small ring version of the 98 as a sporter

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards