Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic skin staplers (Read 5931 times)
Vazza
Donor Member

hunting... best shared
with mates

Re: skin staplers
Reply #15 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
staplers are great... I keep one in my bum bag... the main reason I use it is to close up any wound that dog gets...
weather its a vet Job or a simple tidy up I staple them shut out on the hill to keep the krap out from walking out or further hunting from then on... simply wipe clean as best I can then shut it up,  and my vet loves it... reckons it saves me a heap of coin in time to clean out wounds etc...

if it s a wound I can deal with at home then when I get home the dog gets the full treatment... staples out, full clean and tidy, antibiotics and then staples again if need be... I have all the gear here to stitch(wifey is a midwife so practices on my dogs!!  Grin Grin) but only use that if I need to put more tension on a rip/wound...

IP Logged

GlenM

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Sikebhe wrote on Jul 23rd, 2013 at 9:22pm:
Good advice from PC - Watch a good vet.

I find the staplers a great tool.  It takes me 3 minutes to staple what it used to take me 30 minutes to stitch.  Much easier on man and dog.  One of my dogs doesn't even seem to notice now.

I rinse the wound out with saline and then staple about every 6-7 mm holding the skin flesh to flesh so no hair (dirt) gets in the wound. I leave a small drain at the lowest point of the rip. 

The only really bad rips (vet material) since Ive used a stapler have been on fly in trips and the dogs have recovered well.

I give the dog 3 ml of penicillin on the first, third and fifth day and remove the staples after 10 - 12 days.  I also spray the wound with a topical antibiotic everyday for the first week.

I keep a new stapler in my bum bag and once it is opened I just use it at home.  I get through most of a stapler on 3 or 4 reasonable rips.

I also carry Celox granules for dog (or human) emergencies.  Haven't had cause to use them yet thankfully.

You owe it to your dog to be prepared with the knowledge and equipment to do your best for them.  They got those leaking holes for you.  Wink

Where do you get the penicillin from? Can you get it over the counter at the vets even if they aint seen the dog?

IP Logged

Sikebhe

Reply #17 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
GlenM - I've found most vets will sell it over the counter.  Especially if you've got some connection with a farm or lifestyle block.

You judge a dog by what you take home.

IP Logged

Vazza
Donor Member

hunting... best shared
with mates

Reply #18 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Sikebhe wrote on Jul 24th, 2013 at 11:58pm:
GlenM - I've found most vets will sell it over the counter.  Especially if you've got some connection with a farm or lifestyle block.

with the new PAR you will find it near impossible to get your hands on Penicillin of any form without a consultation and prescription from vet...

even as a farmer it was hard enough to get penicillin for my dogs so most of it was what I used for stock...

you must have a very "good" vet Sikebhe

IP Logged

jase265

Reply #19 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
HuhI agree vazza... sounds like a porky to meVazza wrote on Jul 26th, 2013 at 9:59pm:
with the new PAR you will find it near impossible to get your hands on Penicillin of any form without a consultation and prescription from vet...

even as a farmer it was hard enough to get penicillin for my dogs so most of it was what I used for stock...

you must have a very "good" vet Sikebhe

IP Logged

Sikebhe

Reply #20 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Same vet for 15 years.  He's good.  Wink

You judge a dog by what you take home.

IP Logged

Vazza
Donor Member

hunting... best shared
with mates

Reply #21 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Sikebhe wrote on Aug 17th, 2013 at 9:36pm:
Same vet for 15 years.  He's good.  Wink

that would explain it! Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards