Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Crossbow for hunting goats (Read 3681 times)
Tone
Forum Font

Papamoa

Crossbow for hunting goats
Jul 6th, 2013 at 3:47am
Print Post  
I have had a look at some of the New Zealand suppliers and also overseas. Who here hunts with a crossbow, and is there a specific brand that stands out? Or even a particular model. Probably looking at around $800-1000 for the bow then a few hundy of accessories, So $1100-1400 all up. Am I being realistic? Any help appreciated

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Re: Crossbow for hunting goats
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Have a talk to evldna here on the forum mate im sure he hunts with a crossbow .

IP Logged

sleek1
Forum Senior

APEX PREDATOR , LAND AND
SEA

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 6:53am
Print Post  
Have hunted with x bow before compound .Deadly as, n all id have to say its just like everything else the more you spend  the better quality it is."they" say 150lb will do it all (which it will) but imho 175-180lb min then your covered.
My 2 cents but as above ask EVL he's in the know

Hoyt carbon spyder turbo, black gold vengance, Qad Hdx , carbon edge blade, tight spot

IP Logged

FULLDRAW

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 7:47am
Print Post  
hey dude.i payed 1800 for my ghost 350 and love it! watch for how much they weigh,how long and wide it is.also,look into if you want a recurve or compuund Wink bows are more my style tho and more bang for buck Cheesy

LIVE LIFE AT FULLDRAW

IP Logged

sleek1
Forum Senior

APEX PREDATOR , LAND AND
SEA

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Couple yrs ago  took the mrs out for her first bow kills. Vid cam solid mounted on scope hence the exaggerated noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWMWhbFoCnM

Hoyt carbon spyder turbo, black gold vengance, Qad Hdx , carbon edge blade, tight spot

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Hey mate, I reckon the Excalibur, Parker, and Barnetts are the go, personally.
Some of the latest crossbows have some sweet features http://www.parkerbows.com/crossbows.html?action=detail&detailsku=1109 gas cocking for utimate lazyness...
There are plenty to choose from, with the minimum poundage being 150lb draw for public land...

Check things like how balanced the bow feels for the shooter, or how comfortable it is to carry etc.
Things that people don't usually think about before buying one, but if you intend to carry it for a while they will count.

It's also worth trying a couple out with different scopes if you can. Choosing the wrong scope cost me a couple of easy kills on pigs as close as 10 metres.

Horton make a good bolt, and I think PSE have a few reasonably priced bows that would be worth a look and would leave you wth some coin for bolts, broad heads (a cocking aid if required) a case, wax, a target, etc.

I think the recurve crossbows are worth a good look as they are lighter. Im stoked with my Parker Cyclone, but it was between that, and the Excalibur Equinox or Exomax...
If I got another one, it would be the Excalibur Matrix 380.

IP Logged

264Magic
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
hunted one ten days solid,,very heavy,,would go with a bow now,,
but it was very accurate at 30 mtrs,,the noise would be of concern as think the animals probably jump at the noise,,never fired it in anger tho

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Tone
Forum Font

Papamoa

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your repies. EVLDNA why would you got for the 380? Do you not have enough power? What are you hunting? Apart from archery direct can you recommend any oter NZ suppliers?

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
it would be the shizzle for those hut mice bro! Grin Grin

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Tone wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 10:19pm:
Thanks for your repies. EVLDNA why would you got for the 380? Do you not have enough power? What are you hunting? Apart from archery direct can you recommend any oter NZ suppliers?

I'd go for the 380 as it is nice and light, very fast and powerful. Additionally, they are shorter and narrower than a lot of the other top bows.
My bow is plenty powerful enough, just a fair bit heavier at around 8.3lbs vs the Matrix 5.9lbs.

I think Advanced Archery are the go. Simon went out of his way to import me a crossbow sling from America.

Handy info to influence your purchase...
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/hunting/permits-and-licences/bow-and...
If you have a chance to fire any before you buy one, pay attention to how balanced it feels. Is it front heavy? A lot of crosbows are, but they are getting lighter and more comfortable to hold. Strng noise shouldn't be a problem if you are close enough, but if this concerns you, look for a bow with string silencers (and listen to how loud it sounds while test firing).

Also, I see you're into fishing, so it may pay to check if you can outfit it with a reel etc.

IP Logged

lukadrop
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #10 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 3:40am
Print Post  
I just got 225lb desert hawk recurve crossbow (for hunting goats above our place and it will go strait through them at 20m.(good broad head will cut through 2 ribs and still go 5m behind it.)
get it while its $160 off! (at archery direct)

IP Logged

Ninh
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
There are many choices for you at the price 800-1000$, some even cheaper. Maybe you should have a look at some review pages such as See crossbow list here
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2017 at 4:34pm by Ninh »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards