Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) SAMBAR SECRETS (Read 66155 times)
ramjet

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

SAMBAR SECRETS
Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Hi all.

I'm starting this thread for the benefit of Sambar addicts like myself as well as those who would like to give these brutes a crack at some stage and need some guidance. (Excuse the less than imaginative title!)

The guidelines I've been given are that this thread can include anything 'how to', photos, videos, comments of interest however stories of hunts need to be posted in the appropriate 'hunting reports and stories' section.

I'd personally be very interested in advice people can offer on judging antler length on the hoof.

Don't be shy, no one is asking for your top spots but please be generous with sharing your general experience and knowledge.

Cheers

Ramjet

IP Logged

ramjet

Re: SAMBAR SECRETS
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
I'll start the ball rolling.

The most common question seems to be 'how do I hunt Sambar'.

Assuming you have a place to hunt there is no substitute for time in the field. It may take several visits to work out the lay of the land, where sign is concentrated and to learn the most discrete way to approach your hunting block.

Firstly, I don't claim to be the resident expert but my observations are as follows:

Sambar are considered notorious for being difficult to hunt and innately more so than other species. I can't say I entirely agree. Any deer species that lives in close proximity to people, as Sambar often do, will typically become adept at utilising what cover is available and become largely nocturnal in their habits. For instance there are red deer in some of the areas I hunt Sambar and I see them no more regularly than I do the Sambar even though I know they are there. Obviously the amount of hunting pressure will dictate how readily these deer will appear during daylight hours and how consistent their habits will be.

Sambar have the same senses and needs as any other deer so therefore the same basic rules of hunting them apply. Their sense of smell is very good so the first consideration needs to be given to wind direction. ALWAYS hunt into the wind. If wind direction changes so too must you change hunting direction with it.

Their sense of hearing is exceptional so movement should be kept to a minimum and where possible a sit and wait approach is advised. In steeper country where I can get a good view I prefer to sit and watch the edge of cover versus attempting to stalk it. However this isn't everyone's cup of tea, or always possible, so moving quietly and making regular use of binoculars to spot parts of a deer at close range is necessary.

During the day when Sambar are typically bedded down they like to have some height. Even in flatter country like coastal pine blocks they will typically be positioned on top of dunes/ridges. This obviously enables them to be alert to approaching danger and also allows them to catch some sun if possible. Therefore always try and hunt from a higher position down if possible. Like us they like to be warm and it is not unusual to spot them standing or sitting in small sunny clearings to warm up, especially after clear, cold nights.

While it is tempting to stalk more open country because it affords a better view and is easier to move quietly this isn't often where you will sight an animal unless it is moving between areas. They prefer thicker cover, they love gorse, flax swamps, blackberry, lupin, broom, pine thinnings, etc. Sometimes it is impossible to stalk through these areas so your only hope is to stalk the edges of these areas. First light when animals are retiring from feeding areas and late evening when animals are restless and hungry are obviously best. But like any hunting you will seem them when you least expect it!

Another method that could be considered is setting up a tree stand, I understand they use one in the Moutua Swamp. This isn't the common kiwi way of hunting perhaps but could be quite useful in the right situation.

It has been said that unlike other deer Sambar will sit tight and allow a hunter to come very close before 'exploding' out from under the hunters feet, much like a Pheasant but without the wings and a few kilos heavier! And they are right this often happens. But like other deer I have also seen several times Sambar trot out of an area a long way ahead of an approaching hunter that they have heard or smelt.

It has also been said that when a group of Sambar are spooked any mature stag often takes a different escape route to the others. How often this actually happens I'm unsure but I know of a hunter who successfully took an exceptional stag by briskly walking in the opposite direction from where he had spooked some animals and caught the stag taking a roundabout escape route. I also know another successful hunter who sat tight on spooking some Sambar and caught the stag trotting back to join the group of hinds several minutes later, presumably when it thought the coast was clear.

When Sambar aren't hiding they like to eat funnily enough. They are a big deer so need a fair bit of fuel. They eat a variety of things depending on availability, the base of flax and toitoi, blackberry leaves, pine bark, broadleaf, gorse flower, as well as grass and a variety of farmers crops. They will also travel a long way for these things. I have seen locked up paddocks three kilometres from any real cover littered with deer prints. In this case the deer were travelling exclusively at night so unless you are prepared to spotlight then you would need to follow these deer back to where they are bedding up during the day and set up an ambush at first or last light.

Sambar love to wallow and are quite comfortable in the water. I have seen a group of hinds and calves (Sambar young are called calves not fawns) walk out into a lake in the Rotorua district and frolic in the water. Hinds will occasionally wallow as well as stags and they will wallow all year round although it is more prevalent during the rut. Many stags I have seen have patches of drying mud on their coats. Knowing where wallows are located and checking them for recent use will give you a good idea as to rutting activity and an active wallow can be a good place to put a trail camera or stake out. The only stag I have pulled the trigger on came out onto a wallow right on last light. While Sambar like the warmth of the sun they are also quite active in the rain so if you don't mind being wet then don't let bad weather put you off a hunt.

Sambar are peculiar in that they have a long rutting period that can potentially stretch several months. I have personally seen stags following hinds from early May to early October although there will be cases outside this period as well I'm sure. However my experience in both Rotorua and Manawatu is that June is a particularly active time as well as July and August. Again time in the field will be your friend and sooner or later you will come across a hind in season with possibly several stags hanging around. I also witnessed an unusual behaviour last year where a stag was following a hind and it appeared another hind was trying to cut her away from him. I would be interested to hear if anyone has witnessed anything similar.

I have seen older stags following a hind while younger stags are hanging about in close proximity. The older stag seems to tolerate this as long as they don't come too close. While Stags often carry scars presumably from fighting I have yet to witness anything more aggressive than posturing where the larger stag moves towards and 'staunches out' a younger, outriding stag that has come too close to his hind. However, I have often seen younger stags 'jousting' each other but this has just involved low intensity pushing and locking antlers.

If you find a hind/s undisturbed it is worth spending time watching. A stag could very well be close by keeping an eye on her. This applies to all hunting but remember the saying 'white man watches little see's little, indian watches lots sees lots'. Only move as much as you need to and use your eyes/binos'.

I haven't observed it myself but others have seen stags in velvet along with stags in hard antler which gave rise to the belief that some stags held their antlers for more than one year. This has been discounted as untrue. The explanation appears to be related to the elongated rutting period. A stag conceived several months earlier than another stag will also drop and start growing his antlers earlier than the other hence the cross over. A friend of mine who is a very experienced Sambar hunter with several top stags to his credit has seen several stags in hard antler as late as December, I have seen them up to late October but my hunting usually comes to an end at this stage of the year.

There's plenty I haven't covered here but it gives a basic start to this thread. More experienced and successful Sambar hunters than I will hopefully contribute further.

Once you have somewhere to hunt then shooting a Sambar is quite achievable. A top trophy, well that can be a different story again although I know of several hunters who have shot a top Sambar stag very early on in their hunting efforts. After several years I have yet to take a good head but that's hunting for you. The thing to try and keep in mind is that while you are out there you are giving yourself a chance.

Hot barrels and I look forward to everyone's contributions and extending my own understanding of these very cool animals.

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Ramjet

That's some terrific well written hunting advice, obviously built up over a few sortes.

To be fair I have not shot one, never felt the urge too, but did spend a lot of time as a kid tagging behind my old man while he was taking photos and sneaking around by myself, this was during the period of the moratorium so there were a few about, I remember sneak in on 10 or so stags in a paddock one day and cornering 30 animals in a small pine plantation that they refused to move out of, got to about 5 m rom 2 hinds and a fawn oops calf, was great stalking practice.

The animals then were under very little hunting pressure (apart from the odd poacher) so were out and about a lot more than they are now, but your advice still stood true then, I also remember that are creatures of habit and liked to access there feed areas on the same tracks, we would wait at certain crossings and catch them returning to heavy cover on day break. The tree stand in Moutua worked a treat, had deer move right next to the ladder, they didn't seem to worry about the ground scent at all though. I have seen stags in all stages of antler growth at the same time. I know that theyare sitters for a hunter with a good indicating dog.

Might have to make a point of getting out for a look again on them, once again a terrific post, a great resource, will help many a sambar hunter young or old.

Heres a few old photos I had in the photo box (taken circa 1986, no digital or trail cams Smiley then)

hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
www.instagram.com/trusty_222/
IP Logged

SHNHUNTA
Just Joined

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Awesome pics!!!
gotta love that flax magical little place ,first sambar hunting in there sad to say the deer numbers are nothing like they used to be when i first started, my grand father said the flax used to stretch frm shannon to foxton and the sambar roamed it all love his stories of big stags weighing down the axels of his old ford, they used to catch sambar on the road in those days

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Awesome stuff ramjet, you been talking and out hunting with John. Wink Grin

IP Logged

Tylz00

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Great advice ramjet! ive got my trip booked for the being of august cant wait to get out amongst it.

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 9:08pm:
Awesome stuff ramjet, you been talking and out hunting with John. Wink Grin

I wish I was half the Sambar hunter he is! Wouldn't mind a couple of the heads he has too!

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
trusty222 wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 5:29pm:

that's a solid looking stag there trusty, thanks for the photos. i understand the landscape has changed markedly since the good old days, most of the flax swamps drained and converted to farmland. I get the impression that the planting of big pine plantations has been their only saving grace in the area as well as their movement inland.

there are actually still quite a few around although access is the sticking point for many would be hunters. if you don't have contacts with landowners or other generous hunters then one has to be pro-active is generating these contacts and getting permission to hunt.

in some areas they can actually make a nuisance of themselves. a friend recently shot four out of a locked up paddock he was saving for his cattle because they were just stripping it.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
ramjet wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 2:48pm:
I wish I was half the Sambar hunter he is! Wouldn't mind a couple of the heads he has too!

I think your doing pretty good mate, He has some magnificent video footage, Probably the most dedicated and enthusiastic  Sambar  man in the country.  Certainly has some wonderful top class trophies of many of our deer species, I love his big Red that came from  popular/ heavily hunted public land in the central North island, was over 300DS.

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #9 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Here's a reasonable picture of a sambar hind. I managed to take it from only a few metres. You can see her features are dominated by her radar dish ears.

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #10 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
And a young stag. Probably first year as a 6 pointer but already built like a mini-tank. Unfortunately it is often stags of this age that get bowled over and never get the age they need to reach their potential. Leave them and shoot a hind!

IP Logged

Nick.m
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Cheers man, some good info in there. Have never hunted Sambar so cant really contribute although i always planned on getting into them though just need some more time.

Nick

IP Logged

johnboy
Forum Senior

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
I've seen  a couple spots   where sambar stags have had a serious go , Ground was torn up , hair all over the place , vegetation flattened. When they do have go , it must be  a decent battle
When I get new hunters out with us  my main advice to them is if they are lucky enough to take a stag and have put him on the deck
Don't be shy about giving him another. Many a dead stag has gotten up and run away.
Their ability to hold their nerve is amazing and sometimes you just about stand on them before they go and by the time you've regained your composure they've gone
They will crawl away as well and that is something to see.
It is surprising over here In Oz how many deer you'll within 200 metres of the road.
Especially if the road is running along the top , I find that still days with very light rain will see them out moving around

While there is lead in the air ,there is hope

IP Logged

johnboy
Forum Senior

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
The one point that Ramjet said earlier said about moving a little and looking a lot.
This is the main way to go , Those that hunt the BOP sambar must have heard the "squeak"" as they pull out the Cutty grass stem and eat the bulb piece on the stalk, Don't know the plant name. This can be heard a fair way off and will easily give way their location.
Let them do the moving , you do the watching

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
great pics there trusty 222,,i spend some time there many moons ago,,possibly put up the first tree stand,,camera only tho
great learning thread for first timers
saw a monster on the flood barrier one time,,he ran for miles across the open to get to another patch of cover,,right past the cattle yards where the lands and survey manager and stuff were drafting cattle

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #15 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 6:43pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #16 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
nice one greenhill and thanks for posting here. looks like he has some good potential!

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #17 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
here are a couple of stills from video footage this year. the first one is a real corker but unfortunately didn't look at him very closely when I first saw him and elected to get some scraps of video footage instead. when I processed the footage and had a good look I realised I should have gone in after him.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #18 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
nice stag there greenhill Cool
shit ramjet hes a cracker. have to be over 30" wouldnt he?

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #19 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 3:43pm:
nice stag there greenhill Cool
shit ramjet hes a cracker. have to be over 30" wouldnt he?

haha. I have had the opinion of about 6 experienced Sambar hunters who have had a look. A couple thought it was only about 25 inches but the others including myself don't think you would get much change out of 29 inches and possibly better. The truth is you never quite know until you measure it on the ground.

Bear in mind that photos and even video footage can be deceiving but at a certain point I can freeze it and just see the length of his head against his antlers for comparison. Add to that the curve and I think you have a really nice one. Just shows what happens when you don't look properly through the binos and try and get footage first then hope that he'll pop out somewhere else but he just melted away and I haven't seen him again! Bit gutted, its the best one I've seen and might have been what I'm looking for but who knows!

One thing I am sure of is that I'll never see him again.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #20 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
ramjet wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 8:34pm:
haha. I have had the opinion of about 6 experienced Sambar hunters who have had a look. A couple thought it was only about 25 inches but the others including myself don't think you would get much change out of 29 inches and possibly better. The truth is you never quite know until you measure it on the ground.

Bear in mind that photos and even video footage can be deceiving but at a certain point I can freeze it and just see the length of his head against his antlers for comparison. Add to that the curve and I think you have a really nice one. Just shows what happens when you don't look properly through the binos and try and get footage first then hope that he'll pop out somewhere else but he just melted away and I haven't seen him again! Bit gutted, its the best one I've seen and might have been what I'm looking for but who knows!

yep, i would have done that! Roll Eyes Embarrassed Grin

IP Logged

roaring reds

Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 5:13pm
Print Post  

Why do you say that ramjet? he could pop up when you least expect it.

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #22 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
roaring reds wrote on Jul 28th, 2013 at 5:13pm:

Why do you say that ramjet? he could pop up when you least expect it.

I'm not trying to be defeatist and you are right he could turn up but experience has shown me that you see them once and you don't see them again. Literally all the more mature Sambar I have seen I've never seen again, I think they roam a lot and they could be in my area one day and k's away and counting the next. I believe they are quite transient.

On the other hand I have seen younger stags in family groups several times.

I hope I'm wrong though and catch up with him again!

IP Logged

Rosco
Forum Font

Reply #23 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
That stag was a cracker Ramjet, i agree with you that the big old Sambar stags are transient and catching them out twice would be rare. It is only a matter of time till you get your big boy keep up the good work.  Cool

IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #24 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 9:26am
Print Post  
ramjet wrote on Jul 28th, 2013 at 8:37pm:
I'm not trying to be defeatist and you are right he could turn up but experience has shown me that you see them once and you don't see them again. Literally all the more mature Sambar I have seen I've never seen again, I think they roam a lot and they could be in my area one day and k's away and counting the next. I believe they are quite transient.

On the other hand I have seen younger stags in family groups several times.

I hope I'm wrong though and catch up with him again!

I have studied and glassed one particular family group for a few years now.
From my observation the family group don't move around too  much at this time of year.

Sambar have different rutting behaviour to other species. He wont mind other stags hanging around his hinds, even stags that are 2nd in command in the group. The big boy will be very close by, usually concealed and above the position of the other deer in the family. Once the air flow from below indicates a hind is ready he will get off his bed and make his way down to service.

Some people think the big old sambar move around a heap and you only see once, im a believer that they keep to a small area when they are in their family groups at this time of year. Just like some Aussie hunters I know think hunting sambar in the wet is a waste of time, whereas I know people who shoot all their big sambar stags in the rain.

Its a hard one ramjet, when was the picture taken? Don't be too gutted mate, he will probably a little stronger in the antler department next year, who knows mate he might not be the mature stag of the group...

All you need now is a good spot to glass and doing the hours glassing.

A particular virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience...- Aldo Leopold

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #25 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 10:15am
Print Post  
JAKDanby wrote on Jul 29th, 2013 at 9:26am:
I have studied and glassed one particular family group for a few years now.
From my observation the family group don't move around too  much at this time of year.

Sambar have different rutting behaviour to other species. He wont mind other stags hanging around his hinds, even stags that are 2nd in command in the group. The big boy will be very close by, usually concealed and above the position of the other deer in the family. Once the air flow from below indicates a hind is ready he will get off his bed and make his way down to service.

Some people think the big old sambar move around a heap and you only see once, im a believer that they keep to a small area when they are in their family groups at this time of year. Just like some Aussie hunters I know think hunting sambar in the wet is a waste of time, whereas I know people who shoot all their big sambar stags in the rain.

Its a hard one ramjet, when was the picture taken? Don't be too gutted mate, he will probably a little stronger in the antler department next year, who knows mate he might not be the mature stag of the group...

All you need now is a good spot to glass and doing the hours glassing.

Hi jak.

thanks for sharing your experience, feel free to add more to this resource as you go.

there are family groups where I am too and I have seen them in different parts of the property I hunt and glassed them over the fence in the neighbours too. obviously human pressure and stock movements will dictate which bits of bush they are in at a particular time. because the properties I hunt are farms they probably move around a bit more than they might in larger pine forests and larger tracts of scrub in the rotorua region.

your observations about the bigger stag being concealed but nearby seems to mirror observations of some other experienced sambar hunters I have talked to.

I saw this stag late may so a little while ago. the bugger could be anywhere now I think. being fairly open farmland in the area with four different properties neighbouring each other he could be on one place one day and another the next. where I saw him from was the best vantage point I could get I just made the mistake of trying to video first and having a proper look second and then the opportunity was gone.

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #26 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Took these images from video footage over the weekend of preaching Sambar. They remind me of dancing bears in a circus. Crazy how they support themselves on their little hooves.
They have what are called pre-orbital glands under their eyes which excrete a scent that they rub on trees above scrapes. It is believed that they try and gain height while doing this to indicate their size and consequently their place in the pecking order to other stags and hinds.

IP Logged

johnboy
Forum Senior

Reply #27 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 11:55am
Print Post  

There's one for you , dig some more photos out on sunday evening when I get home

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #28 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Great photo johnboy. thanks for posting.

IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #29 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Ive seen plenty of sambar hinds on their backlegs to reach a high branch but never stag preaching. Thanks Ramjet

A particular virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience...- Aldo Leopold

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #30 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Looking forward to getting one on film preaching and looking forward to getting back down to hunt them its been to long! cheers for the pics lads Cool

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #31 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 9:20am
Print Post  
JAKDanby wrote on Aug 23rd, 2013 at 5:28pm:
Ive seen plenty of sambar hinds on their backlegs to reach a high branch but never stag preaching. Thanks Ramjet

That's interesting. Were the hinds scenting do you think or were they on their hind legs just to feed higher?

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #32 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 9:27am
Print Post  
When ive seen them doing it , they have been reaching for food

IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #33 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 10:57am
Print Post  
ramjet wrote on Aug 24th, 2013 at 9:20am:
That's interesting. Were the hinds scenting do you think or were they on their hind legs just to feed higher?

Definitely standing on their rear legs to access the high branches. You see them eyeing up the branches and a few failed attempts before they are solely on their rear legs for a couple of seconds before dropping back to the ground. Seen this within 80m a couple of times now.

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Hunting anywhere and everywhere

Reply #34 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Saw a nice little stag preaching years ago, one of the first sambar stags I saw long enough to get a shot at and I couldn't bring myself to shoot it, looked to bloody neat. I think my old man got it on video instead.

Have seen a few more preaching since then and your bang on with your dancing bears description, awesome photos.

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #35 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
An interesting piece of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyixVR1T3Jw

This gives you who have not herd it before some what of an idea of what a sambar deer sounds like when they alert (bark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERgWahRZO0M

IP Logged

johnboy
Forum Senior

Reply #36 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 7:48pm
Print Post  

I was out today , windy as anything , but you walk into a quiet spot and here they were.
This little one hung around for a bit,

This one didn't , rubs , scrapes, wallows are still being used, But they are enjoying the spring growth, grass , black berries , the new leaves are getting eaten

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #37 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Cheers for the pics johnboy , fluffy little bugger that 1st one  Cool

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #38 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 9:11am
Print Post  

Still image from video footage Thursday night. The young stags are still in hard antler but the little spiker to the right looks like he may have already cast and have little velvet knobs.

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Reply #39 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Great little family mob there Ramjet, good to see them out in the open like that.
You though about investing in a trail camera or two to see if you can catch out that big feller you saw?
Perhaps don't go overboard on the camera front to the extend the old man did though, i think he has 7 of the things now.

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #40 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
That is a seriously wicked pic ramjet ! That would make a wicked canvas for the trophy room that photo  Cool

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #41 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:15am
Print Post  
MikeB wrote on Oct 4th, 2013 at 12:33pm:
Great little family mob there Ramjet, good to see them out in the open like that.
You though about investing in a trail camera or two to see if you can catch out that big feller you saw?
Perhaps don't go overboard on the camera front to the extend the old man did though, i think he has 7 of the things now.

hey mate.

yeah have thought about it but that's all I've done! I don't get down often enough for it to be a valuable hunting tool but I could probably get some nice photos and video with one and the footage would compliment the handheld stuff. Caught up with your dad the other day and he has caught some nice moments for sure. Will have to get rechargeable batteries by the sound of it though!

I will be lucky to see that big boy though, he is probably long gone unfortunately  Cry

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #42 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:16am
Print Post  
green hill wrote on Oct 4th, 2013 at 9:53pm:
That is a seriously wicked pic ramjet ! That would make a wicked canvas for the trophy room that photo  Cool

hi greenhill.

was thinking the same actually. might get it blown up for the landowners as a present.

cheers

IP Logged

johnboy
Forum Senior

Reply #43 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Good to sit and watch them , can't be any pressure on those ones
great photo

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #44 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
johnboy wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:00pm:
Good to sit and watch them , can't be any pressure on those ones
great photo

You are right, it is nice to watch them and there isn't as much pressure on these animals as there is in most places. A bit of a shame that you have to rely on restricted access to see deer like this as opposed to hunters carefully managing animals as a matter of cause.

IP Logged

johnboy
Forum Senior

Reply #45 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Pressure or not , these deer move around more than people realise during the day, But it is great to see them out like that
Do you see sometimes they all stand up and look around , then settle down after a few minutes even though you heard nothing?

IP Logged

Sikakila
Donor Member

'Every day above ground..is
a good day!

Reply #46 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Awesome pics!
Any idea whats happening with santoff these days?Last time I was down there, a few years back now- the moratorium was still on and they were balloted?

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #47 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 7:51am
Print Post  
The moratorium has been lifted although being a private forestry company you still need to get a permit to hunt as far as i'm aware.

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #48 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 9:04am
Print Post  

still from video footage I thought I had lost but found again, 26 oct 2012.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #49 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 9:26am
Print Post  
how long would he go ramjet? 26"/27"?

IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #50 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Oct 22nd, 2013 at 9:26am:
how long would he go ramjet? 26"/27"?

my guess would be a few inches short of 26-27 inch.

IP Logged

Raging Bull
Forum Font

Reply #51 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
My guess would be 25-26". Nice photo ramjet, he wasn't shot recently was he? Saw photos of a similar head at Ohingaiti kids hunt.

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #52 - Oct 23rd, 2013 at 8:43am
Print Post  
I was pretty close and reckoned 25 inches, maybe 26. it can be bloody hard to tell sometimes. he will be a nice animals with age. got some nice footage of him, getting up, sitting down, enjoying the sun.

I hope someone hasn't shot him, haven't heard of a single animal shot on this place since I have been going there but fences mean nothing to these deer so he could have been on another property. Haven't seen him again but then that's not unusual.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #53 - Oct 23rd, 2013 at 9:03am
Print Post  
cheers guys. good to get the opinions of experienced sambar hunters.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #54 - Oct 23rd, 2013 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Lovely photo of the stag ramjet. Thanks for posting.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

johnboy
Forum Senior

Reply #55 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 12:23am
Print Post  

A couple from this afternoon

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #56 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 8:11am
Print Post  
nice one john boy. gotta love those mickey mouse radars!

IP Logged

Joefish

Reply #57 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Nice pics Johnboy , the pics you've been putting on FB lately are great .
Cheers

IP Logged

johnboy
Forum Senior

Reply #58 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
These deer come out in the late evening not 200 yards away from a couple houses, Lawnmowers going , music playing, dogs barking .
I was sitting monday night with 14 around me and 5 a bit further away.
Great just to sit and watch a couple spikers playing
light becomes an issue .
These deer never fail to surprise you with what they do

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #59 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
nice pics johnboy, keep em coming mate Cool
man they have massive ears ay! no wonder they are hard to sneak up on Roll Eyes Embarrassed Grin

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Reply #60 - Nov 27th, 2013 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Taken on the weekend, right in the middle you can see a ghostly looking Sambar stag.

Pays to stay out until it's too dark to see when you are after these things. You never know what is about to walk out.

IP Logged

Raging Bull
Forum Font

Reply #61 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
My eye's are shit... can't see jack.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #62 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
i couldnt either at first rb. i gave my screen a wipe and can just pick him up.

IP Logged

Raging Bull
Forum Font

Reply #63 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Let there be light... well a little bit.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #64 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
bloody hell rb that pretty clever! Cool

IP Logged

Budboy2
Just Joined

Reply #65 - May 18th, 2014 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Hi all, what calibre rifle would you say is best for these big beasts? I have a 7mm08 and have shot a couple with it. Two head shots, No problems. But then I had a hind that I thumped square in the sholder with a 140g ballistic tip at 123yards and watched it stagger off then sort of trot down hill for a very long way with blood pouring out. I was a bit naive with how tough they are to put down and should have drilled another round in when she breifly stopped under a tree (leaving a dinner plate size amount of blood) But I didnt, thinking she would topple at any moment. It didnt end well Cry So hence my question on what calibre you other sambar hunters use. Thanks

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Reply #66 - May 19th, 2014 at 12:10am
Print Post  
270 is plenty. Using Norma 130 grain soft noses in my reloads.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #67 - May 19th, 2014 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
as with all animals, keep shooting until they are down and dead. if its still on its feet shoot it again!

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Reply #68 - May 20th, 2014 at 9:57am
Print Post  
chris wrote on May 19th, 2014 at 1:28pm:
as with all animals, keep shooting until they are down and dead. if its still on its feet shoot it again!

Sage advice, read the story about my Whitetail buck. I went WW3 on that one

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #69 - May 20th, 2014 at 10:17am
Print Post  
and you have a fine trophy because of it Mike! Cool

IP Logged

fdilligaf

Reply #70 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 11:13am
Print Post  
awesome thread guys  Cool Cool
ive just scored access to a local runoff that is home to a few sambar. went on a recce weekend just gone, found 3 good wallows close to a mint clearing, so cut a vantage point for the rifle and also preped a nice spot to ambush with my bow. set a trail cam on the clearing, now to wait for a few weeks.....
spooked an animal while setting the cam, nearly shat myself boy they make a bit of noise when they decide to split  Shocked
anyway thanks for the tips guys, its great for blokes like me who have no experience hunting Sambar  Smiley

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #71 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 10:16am
Print Post  
fdilligaf wrote on Jun 10th, 2014 at 11:13am:
ive just scored access to a local runoff that is home to a few sambar. went on a recce weekend just gone, found 3 good wallows close to a mint clearing, so cut a vantage point for the rifle and also preped a nice spot to ambush with my bow. set a trail cam on the clearing, now to wait for a few weeks.....
spooked an animal while setting the cam, nearly shat myself boy they make a bit of noise when they decide to split  Shocked
anyway thanks for the tips guys, its great for blokes like me who have no experience hunting Sambar  Smiley   

Awesome! Good luck  Cool Make sure you let us know how you get on  Wink

IP Logged

fdilligaf

Reply #72 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Cheers, i sure will  Smiley

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #73 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 7:54pm
Print Post  

Sounds like a mint spot mate , good luck and i look forward to seeing your updates and tc pics  Smiley

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Reply #74 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 5:26pm
Print Post  

Wait til one honks at you in close proximity. Loud. Happened to me again on Sunday looking for a steel i lost, i nearly dropped the rifle and the dog farted so hard he almost had a heart attack.

IP Logged

fdilligaf

Reply #75 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 7:54am
Print Post  
with the rain forecast to stop yesterday arvo i set out with the bow in the rain to check out a couple of bush edges. sure enough a half hour before dark the rain stopped and all was quiet, the birds started chirping and it just had that deery feel.
i hadn't checked out this area of the farm before so was excited to find large manuka and low fern with big belts of grass..... as i drifted along just inside the bush following a deep rutted game trail, i used my sika bush hunting skills taking one or two slow steps and scanning the entire area. with light fading fast, i paused above a small gut, the gut was open and littered with game trails, i slowly scanned the area thinking there has to be an animal here somewhere....i stayed put for ten mins or so as it would be all but dark very soon. then as i took the first step of about ten to reach the fence an animal bolted above me not ten metres away, it charged down the game trail i was on towards me. its fair to say i did a wee poo in my pants as it clanced off to avoid me    Grin. now ive seen the pics of sambar so know they are rather large, but JESUS!! this was a mature hind and was larger by far than alot of red stags ive shot  Shocked although i was rapped to see an animal i couldn't help but feel under gunned, might just roll with a rifle till ive got one on the deck.
question, being predominantly a meat hunter i have been told the sambar meat is sh!t. is it the taste that makes it crap or just the fact its grainy and tough? after last night i can see that if i do deck one it shall be a long mission boning the animal and many many trips getting the meat out.
Cheers  Cool

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #76 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Cool sounds a mint spot mate.
the meat is ok. it needs to be very well aged. its texture is a bit coarser than other venisons.
i find it doesn't have a very strong venison flavor, a little bland. its great in curries etc.
or a bus load of salami, sausages, patties etc.
they are massive beasts!

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Reply #77 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Sambar meat tastes great, the issue is, you rip a beautiful eye fillet off the BBQ and get about three chews into it before it turns into boot leather. It's just no good for steak.

It is however as Chris has noted beautiful for any manner of other goods. I literally live on Sambar sausages, corned Sambar, Sambar salamis etc. Just make sure you have plenty of freezer space before you shoot one.

As for using a bow rather than a 270...You are certainly keener than I. They can take some putting down and you might be in for a long and difficult search if you arrow one through the heart and lungs. They can go some distance with minced organs. A mate with a dog will be your best friend.

Good luck and keep at it!

IP Logged

fdilligaf

Reply #78 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
cheers guys  Smiley i should really start a thread in the reports section. i have a good dog i take often while hunting but much to his disgust ive been leaving him at home when im out with the bow. jak def would have indicated the hind yesterday as the breeze was perfect  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ackley

Reply #79 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Take the dog. Sambar will hold better if you have a dog as a mature animal is not scared of a dog. Infact more than one sambar has been shot after chasing a dog back to it owner.
It may be different in NZ as we have wild dogs (dingo and dingo x's) in oz but I think sambar will be the same all over the world

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #80 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Hows everybody been getting on with the sambar lately ? I have managed to get out 3-4 times in the last month or so . I managed to get back to some old haunts were i have had cameras running with disappointing results . I only managed 1 average picture of a young 2-3 year old stag with about 10 hinds in the general area with him . This time last year we had a few pics of 3 stags that would have been getting close to shooters this year . Unfortunately the area has had a hiding from pig hunters and spotlighters .

The new country i checked out how ever from all accounts looks very promising . Plenty of rubs , preaching trees and general sign . I even managed to find a set of cast antlers last Saturday

This little north facing head gut had a great pine in it to hang a tree stand in and a game trail right through the guts of it that looks like 100 sambar a day use it so i set up a trail cam on it Hopefully i will get back in there in the next week and get a stand up and check the camera Cool

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #81 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
cool finding the pair of casts mate. wicked looking bit of ground also in that last pic Cool

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Reply #82 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Nice heavy looking timber in those pair of casts.

With duck shooting done with i've got the next four months or so to dedicate to Sambar hunting, hope to find something worth posting up here

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #83 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Nice looking country there green hill. Always exciting to explore new country.

I have just got back from 2 days at my possie. Saw a lot of animals including several different stags but as usual no big boys. Saw a couple of stags that had great promise, guessed them to be about 24-25 inches. Will post some footage up on here when I get a minute.

They are mobbed up in groups now. I saw one mob with five stags and five hinds and another mob this morning which number 22 deer! Included in that were several stags. They are taking an interest in individual hinds which are coming into season.

Interestingly I also saw small groups of hinds and calves without stags in tow so presumably these girls are finishing looking after their calves and will come on later and then they will join up with the stags (or the stags join up with them!).

The light was too low for filming but watched a stag mounting a hind right on dark, first time I have witnessed copulation with these deer.

Also saw a young stag still in velvet. He left the main mob he was originally with and say down by himself. The younger stags do a lot of pushing and shoving of each other at this time of year to establish their pecking orders but this guys velvet is probably a bit too tender at the moment to engage in this sort of behaviour!

Sort of frustrating seeing so many animals and I still can't find the big boy I'm looking for but that's hunting. Makes me wish like hell I had caught up with the big one I got scraps of footage of from May last year. Hopefully another big sucker will come into my area and I'll catch him out next time I'm down.

Cheers

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #84 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Some video footage from the weekend. The Sambar rut has started.

https://vimeo.com/100291807

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Hell! I didn't know they were farming Sambar.  Grin  Nice bit of footage there RJ.  Smiley

IP Logged

Hook_Grass

270. win

Reply #86 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Awesome wee bit of video there RJ

At a guess how old do you estimate that better looking stag in the third vid to be?

Just curious, cheers HG  Cool

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #87 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Hook_Grass wrote on Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:19am:

At a guess how old do you estimate that better looking stag in the third vid to be?

Hi HG.

I would only be guessing as to age, while I have seen a lot of Sambar over time I have only ever shot one so I can't claim to be an expert on those sorts of things, I understand behaviour better really. But at a guess he would be 4-6 years old I would have thought.

There was actually another one in that group that was similar in antler dimensions although a bit smaller in body and obviously a less dominant stag so I assume he was younger again.

Body size seems to be as good an indication of age as the actual antler size. Will try and post some other footage of a very large bodied animal that had reasonable antlers only, but he was quite massive.

Cheers

IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #88 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 9:17am
Print Post  
ramjet wrote on Jul 10th, 2014 at 8:51am:
Hook_Grass wrote on Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:19am:

Hi HG.

I would only be guessing as to age, while I have seen a lot of Sambar over time I have only ever shot one so I can't claim to be an expert on those sorts of things, I understand behaviour better really. But at a guess he would be 4-6 years old I would have thought.

There was actually another one in that group that was similar in antler dimensions although a bit smaller in body and obviously a less dominant stag so I assume he was younger again.

Body size seems to be as good an indication of age as the actual antler size. Will try and post some other footage of a very large bodied animal that had reasonable antlers only, but he was quite massive.

Cheers

Those stags are only the youngsters and mid aged stags. The dominant stag will be nearby but hidden, usually uphill/downwind of the other animals position. He will wait until one of the hinds are ready before moving in and servicing.

Real neat how the mature stag tollerates all the younger stags around the hinds.

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Reply #89 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Nice one, quit your job get a divorce and sit there for a solid month and the big boy will wander out in front of ya mate.

Primo vid

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #90 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 9:30am
Print Post  
real neat vid there mate. thats a lot of sambar! Cool

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #91 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Quote:
Hell! I didn't know they were farming Sambar.  Grin  Nice bit of footage there RJ.  Smiley

yeah there are a few there although bear in mind they mob up a bit at this time of year. just shows what can be achieved by a sympathetic land owner and controlled hunting!

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #92 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
ramjet wrote on Jul 9th, 2014 at 9:33pm:
Some video footage from the weekend. The Sambar rut has started.

https://vimeo.com/100291807

sight for sore old eyes
just damn great to see

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #93 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Here's a short clip of a very mature stag, huge in body. One strong side to his antlers but a bit of a weak side too which was a shame.

http://vimeo.com/100360429

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #94 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Awsome clip ramjet hes a big old monster  Cool

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #95 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
hes a chunky stag alright! Cool

IP Logged

Bow Stalker
Donor Member

Reply #96 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I didn't realise sambar mob up so much. Nice photage

IP Logged

Rosco
Forum Font

Reply #97 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Great footage there Ramjet.
Like you can talk XP, your a manuka/deer farmer yourself. Grin

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Ex Member

Reply #98 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Your bro. and nephew were down last week, knocked over a couple each.  Wink Grin

IP Logged

Rosco
Forum Font

Reply #99 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Yea thought they would be, they dont invite me anymore, i dont think he likes to share...... Embarrassed

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #100 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
ramjet wrote on Jul 10th, 2014 at 9:49am:
Quote:
Hell!   Grin  Nice bit of footage there RJ.  Smiley

yeah there are a few there although bear in mind they mob up a bit at this time of year. just shows what can be achieved by a sympathetic land owner and controlled hunting!

Exactly the same situation which exists in a lower Nth island Fallow herd.
And with wonderful results. And yet so many guys knock private land hunting. Huh

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #101 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Grandad wrote on Jul 11th, 2014 at 7:24pm:
ramjet wrote on Jul 10th, 2014 at 9:49am:
Quote:
Hell!   Grin  Nice bit of footage there RJ.  Smiley

Exactly the same situation which exists in a lower Nth island Fallow herd.
And with wonderful results. And yet so many guys knock private land hunting. Huh

Some times its not what you know , its who you know .

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #102 - Jul 15th, 2014 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
[quoteAnd yet so many guys knock private land hunting. Huh
[/quote]

I think people knock it because not many have it and as greenhill says it  often comes down to who you know. That said all my hunting access has been the result of door knocking so its not like i have been "born with the proverbial spoon" when it comes to access.

Like you though grandad i keenly seek private land permission because i like the idea of managed herds and the trophy opportunities they can produce.

IP Logged

Chris rudd
Just Joined

Reply #103 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Awesome to see the stags grouped together like that.
I have only seen full stags hanging with young spikers. The stags normally hang around an area if there is a hind in season and then bugger off.
They are fun to hunt and just as exciting to watch them interacting in the bush.
Some great stuff here.

Cheers
Chris

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #104 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Managed to pull this pic off a cam we have set up in a new area . He looks to be a good healthy young stag .

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #105 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 4:44pm
Print Post  

Nice young stag photo. Didn't seem to be a lot of rutting activity for the same time of year last year. Had a nice couple of days out though.

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #106 - May 31st, 2017 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Thought I'd ressurect this thread, awesome read.

Anyone think they'll be starting to rut by the end of this week?

IP Logged

mitch270
Donor Member

No longer owns a .270

Reply #107 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Awesome photo ramjet! I wouldn't have had the same discipline to keep my finger off the trigger

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #108 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 5:56am
Print Post  
Wallows are unused so far but a fair bit of other sign around.

Cheers,
JaSa

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #109 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Saw this stag yesterday sunbathing out for 10-15 mins just standing in the same spot. Coolest looking deer I've seen  Cool I hope one day he becomes a trophy and someone mounts him, almost worth shooting for the headskin alone. The black stripe between his eyes with a ginger face is wicked!

S1050011
S1050014

No rutting action happening, nothing grouped up. Love these deer, my favourite for sure.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Ex Member

Reply #110 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Nice pic's RR,sometimes watching, then letting them drift off is a better buzz than grassing them.   Cool

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #111 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Yep especially Sambar, he looks pretty young. It amazes me how nimble and quiet they are, the little yearlings are funny when they try to honk, they can't quite do it properly  Grin

IP Logged

Kalahari-hunter

Walking my rifle

Reply #112 - Dec 27th, 2018 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Hi Guys

Awesome information here, i decided to go after Sambar in 2019 as i live in Hamilton now and the BOP is close.

Are there much Sambar on public land around Rotorua? I geuss Rotoma (Between Kawerau and Lake Rotoma the DOC bit) and Tarawera would have some if there are any. Or am i better off getting a permit for Kaingaroa and going to the flaxy areas there (dont wanna mention names)?

Also i have a 308 loaded with 165 Hot Cor speer bullets going at about 2720fps, would this suffice (I assume it would)?

Or should i swap the ELD bullets in the 300 win mag for some 200gr accubonds?

Cheers
KH

NZDA Rotorua Member

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards