Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) SAMBAR SECRETS (Read 66156 times)
fdilligaf

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: SAMBAR SECRETS
Reply #75 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 7:54am
Print Post  
with the rain forecast to stop yesterday arvo i set out with the bow in the rain to check out a couple of bush edges. sure enough a half hour before dark the rain stopped and all was quiet, the birds started chirping and it just had that deery feel.
i hadn't checked out this area of the farm before so was excited to find large manuka and low fern with big belts of grass..... as i drifted along just inside the bush following a deep rutted game trail, i used my sika bush hunting skills taking one or two slow steps and scanning the entire area. with light fading fast, i paused above a small gut, the gut was open and littered with game trails, i slowly scanned the area thinking there has to be an animal here somewhere....i stayed put for ten mins or so as it would be all but dark very soon. then as i took the first step of about ten to reach the fence an animal bolted above me not ten metres away, it charged down the game trail i was on towards me. its fair to say i did a wee poo in my pants as it clanced off to avoid me    Grin. now ive seen the pics of sambar so know they are rather large, but JESUS!! this was a mature hind and was larger by far than alot of red stags ive shot  Shocked although i was rapped to see an animal i couldn't help but feel under gunned, might just roll with a rifle till ive got one on the deck.
question, being predominantly a meat hunter i have been told the sambar meat is sh!t. is it the taste that makes it crap or just the fact its grainy and tough? after last night i can see that if i do deck one it shall be a long mission boning the animal and many many trips getting the meat out.
Cheers  Cool

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #76 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Cool sounds a mint spot mate.
the meat is ok. it needs to be very well aged. its texture is a bit coarser than other venisons.
i find it doesn't have a very strong venison flavor, a little bland. its great in curries etc.
or a bus load of salami, sausages, patties etc.
they are massive beasts!

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Hunting anywhere and everywhere

Reply #77 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Sambar meat tastes great, the issue is, you rip a beautiful eye fillet off the BBQ and get about three chews into it before it turns into boot leather. It's just no good for steak.

It is however as Chris has noted beautiful for any manner of other goods. I literally live on Sambar sausages, corned Sambar, Sambar salamis etc. Just make sure you have plenty of freezer space before you shoot one.

As for using a bow rather than a 270...You are certainly keener than I. They can take some putting down and you might be in for a long and difficult search if you arrow one through the heart and lungs. They can go some distance with minced organs. A mate with a dog will be your best friend.

Good luck and keep at it!

IP Logged

fdilligaf

Reply #78 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
cheers guys  Smiley i should really start a thread in the reports section. i have a good dog i take often while hunting but much to his disgust ive been leaving him at home when im out with the bow. jak def would have indicated the hind yesterday as the breeze was perfect  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ackley

Reply #79 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Take the dog. Sambar will hold better if you have a dog as a mature animal is not scared of a dog. Infact more than one sambar has been shot after chasing a dog back to it owner.
It may be different in NZ as we have wild dogs (dingo and dingo x's) in oz but I think sambar will be the same all over the world

IP Logged

green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Reply #80 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Hows everybody been getting on with the sambar lately ? I have managed to get out 3-4 times in the last month or so . I managed to get back to some old haunts were i have had cameras running with disappointing results . I only managed 1 average picture of a young 2-3 year old stag with about 10 hinds in the general area with him . This time last year we had a few pics of 3 stags that would have been getting close to shooters this year . Unfortunately the area has had a hiding from pig hunters and spotlighters .

The new country i checked out how ever from all accounts looks very promising . Plenty of rubs , preaching trees and general sign . I even managed to find a set of cast antlers last Saturday

This little north facing head gut had a great pine in it to hang a tree stand in and a game trail right through the guts of it that looks like 100 sambar a day use it so i set up a trail cam on it Hopefully i will get back in there in the next week and get a stand up and check the camera Cool

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #81 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
cool finding the pair of casts mate. wicked looking bit of ground also in that last pic Cool

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Reply #82 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Nice heavy looking timber in those pair of casts.

With duck shooting done with i've got the next four months or so to dedicate to Sambar hunting, hope to find something worth posting up here

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #83 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Nice looking country there green hill. Always exciting to explore new country.

I have just got back from 2 days at my possie. Saw a lot of animals including several different stags but as usual no big boys. Saw a couple of stags that had great promise, guessed them to be about 24-25 inches. Will post some footage up on here when I get a minute.

They are mobbed up in groups now. I saw one mob with five stags and five hinds and another mob this morning which number 22 deer! Included in that were several stags. They are taking an interest in individual hinds which are coming into season.

Interestingly I also saw small groups of hinds and calves without stags in tow so presumably these girls are finishing looking after their calves and will come on later and then they will join up with the stags (or the stags join up with them!).

The light was too low for filming but watched a stag mounting a hind right on dark, first time I have witnessed copulation with these deer.

Also saw a young stag still in velvet. He left the main mob he was originally with and say down by himself. The younger stags do a lot of pushing and shoving of each other at this time of year to establish their pecking orders but this guys velvet is probably a bit too tender at the moment to engage in this sort of behaviour!

Sort of frustrating seeing so many animals and I still can't find the big boy I'm looking for but that's hunting. Makes me wish like hell I had caught up with the big one I got scraps of footage of from May last year. Hopefully another big sucker will come into my area and I'll catch him out next time I'm down.

Cheers

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #84 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Some video footage from the weekend. The Sambar rut has started.

https://vimeo.com/100291807

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Hell! I didn't know they were farming Sambar.  Grin  Nice bit of footage there RJ.  Smiley

IP Logged

Hook_Grass

270. win

Reply #86 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Awesome wee bit of video there RJ

At a guess how old do you estimate that better looking stag in the third vid to be?

Just curious, cheers HG  Cool

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #87 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Hook_Grass wrote on Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:19am:

At a guess how old do you estimate that better looking stag in the third vid to be?

Hi HG.

I would only be guessing as to age, while I have seen a lot of Sambar over time I have only ever shot one so I can't claim to be an expert on those sorts of things, I understand behaviour better really. But at a guess he would be 4-6 years old I would have thought.

There was actually another one in that group that was similar in antler dimensions although a bit smaller in body and obviously a less dominant stag so I assume he was younger again.

Body size seems to be as good an indication of age as the actual antler size. Will try and post some other footage of a very large bodied animal that had reasonable antlers only, but he was quite massive.

Cheers

IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #88 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 9:17am
Print Post  
ramjet wrote on Jul 10th, 2014 at 8:51am:
Hook_Grass wrote on Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:19am:

Hi HG.

I would only be guessing as to age, while I have seen a lot of Sambar over time I have only ever shot one so I can't claim to be an expert on those sorts of things, I understand behaviour better really. But at a guess he would be 4-6 years old I would have thought.

There was actually another one in that group that was similar in antler dimensions although a bit smaller in body and obviously a less dominant stag so I assume he was younger again.

Body size seems to be as good an indication of age as the actual antler size. Will try and post some other footage of a very large bodied animal that had reasonable antlers only, but he was quite massive.

Cheers

Those stags are only the youngsters and mid aged stags. The dominant stag will be nearby but hidden, usually uphill/downwind of the other animals position. He will wait until one of the hinds are ready before moving in and servicing.

Real neat how the mature stag tollerates all the younger stags around the hinds.

A particular virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience...- Aldo Leopold

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Reply #89 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Nice one, quit your job get a divorce and sit there for a solid month and the big boy will wander out in front of ya mate.

Primo vid

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards