Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) SAMBAR SECRETS (Read 66186 times)
green hill
Forum Font

let em go an let em grow

Re: SAMBAR SECRETS
Reply #15 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 6:43pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

ramjet

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
nice one greenhill and thanks for posting here. looks like he has some good potential!

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #17 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
here are a couple of stills from video footage this year. the first one is a real corker but unfortunately didn't look at him very closely when I first saw him and elected to get some scraps of video footage instead. when I processed the footage and had a good look I realised I should have gone in after him.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #18 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
nice stag there greenhill Cool
shit ramjet hes a cracker. have to be over 30" wouldnt he?

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #19 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 3:43pm:
nice stag there greenhill Cool
shit ramjet hes a cracker. have to be over 30" wouldnt he?

haha. I have had the opinion of about 6 experienced Sambar hunters who have had a look. A couple thought it was only about 25 inches but the others including myself don't think you would get much change out of 29 inches and possibly better. The truth is you never quite know until you measure it on the ground.

Bear in mind that photos and even video footage can be deceiving but at a certain point I can freeze it and just see the length of his head against his antlers for comparison. Add to that the curve and I think you have a really nice one. Just shows what happens when you don't look properly through the binos and try and get footage first then hope that he'll pop out somewhere else but he just melted away and I haven't seen him again! Bit gutted, its the best one I've seen and might have been what I'm looking for but who knows!

One thing I am sure of is that I'll never see him again.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #20 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
ramjet wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 8:34pm:
haha. I have had the opinion of about 6 experienced Sambar hunters who have had a look. A couple thought it was only about 25 inches but the others including myself don't think you would get much change out of 29 inches and possibly better. The truth is you never quite know until you measure it on the ground.

Bear in mind that photos and even video footage can be deceiving but at a certain point I can freeze it and just see the length of his head against his antlers for comparison. Add to that the curve and I think you have a really nice one. Just shows what happens when you don't look properly through the binos and try and get footage first then hope that he'll pop out somewhere else but he just melted away and I haven't seen him again! Bit gutted, its the best one I've seen and might have been what I'm looking for but who knows!

yep, i would have done that! Roll Eyes Embarrassed Grin

IP Logged

roaring reds

Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 5:13pm
Print Post  

Why do you say that ramjet? he could pop up when you least expect it.

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #22 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
roaring reds wrote on Jul 28th, 2013 at 5:13pm:

Why do you say that ramjet? he could pop up when you least expect it.

I'm not trying to be defeatist and you are right he could turn up but experience has shown me that you see them once and you don't see them again. Literally all the more mature Sambar I have seen I've never seen again, I think they roam a lot and they could be in my area one day and k's away and counting the next. I believe they are quite transient.

On the other hand I have seen younger stags in family groups several times.

I hope I'm wrong though and catch up with him again!

IP Logged

Rosco
Forum Font

Reply #23 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
That stag was a cracker Ramjet, i agree with you that the big old Sambar stags are transient and catching them out twice would be rare. It is only a matter of time till you get your big boy keep up the good work.  Cool

IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #24 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 9:26am
Print Post  
ramjet wrote on Jul 28th, 2013 at 8:37pm:
I'm not trying to be defeatist and you are right he could turn up but experience has shown me that you see them once and you don't see them again. Literally all the more mature Sambar I have seen I've never seen again, I think they roam a lot and they could be in my area one day and k's away and counting the next. I believe they are quite transient.

On the other hand I have seen younger stags in family groups several times.

I hope I'm wrong though and catch up with him again!

I have studied and glassed one particular family group for a few years now.
From my observation the family group don't move around too  much at this time of year.

Sambar have different rutting behaviour to other species. He wont mind other stags hanging around his hinds, even stags that are 2nd in command in the group. The big boy will be very close by, usually concealed and above the position of the other deer in the family. Once the air flow from below indicates a hind is ready he will get off his bed and make his way down to service.

Some people think the big old sambar move around a heap and you only see once, im a believer that they keep to a small area when they are in their family groups at this time of year. Just like some Aussie hunters I know think hunting sambar in the wet is a waste of time, whereas I know people who shoot all their big sambar stags in the rain.

Its a hard one ramjet, when was the picture taken? Don't be too gutted mate, he will probably a little stronger in the antler department next year, who knows mate he might not be the mature stag of the group...

All you need now is a good spot to glass and doing the hours glassing.

A particular virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience...- Aldo Leopold

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #25 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 10:15am
Print Post  
JAKDanby wrote on Jul 29th, 2013 at 9:26am:
I have studied and glassed one particular family group for a few years now.
From my observation the family group don't move around too  much at this time of year.

Sambar have different rutting behaviour to other species. He wont mind other stags hanging around his hinds, even stags that are 2nd in command in the group. The big boy will be very close by, usually concealed and above the position of the other deer in the family. Once the air flow from below indicates a hind is ready he will get off his bed and make his way down to service.

Some people think the big old sambar move around a heap and you only see once, im a believer that they keep to a small area when they are in their family groups at this time of year. Just like some Aussie hunters I know think hunting sambar in the wet is a waste of time, whereas I know people who shoot all their big sambar stags in the rain.

Its a hard one ramjet, when was the picture taken? Don't be too gutted mate, he will probably a little stronger in the antler department next year, who knows mate he might not be the mature stag of the group...

All you need now is a good spot to glass and doing the hours glassing.

Hi jak.

thanks for sharing your experience, feel free to add more to this resource as you go.

there are family groups where I am too and I have seen them in different parts of the property I hunt and glassed them over the fence in the neighbours too. obviously human pressure and stock movements will dictate which bits of bush they are in at a particular time. because the properties I hunt are farms they probably move around a bit more than they might in larger pine forests and larger tracts of scrub in the rotorua region.

your observations about the bigger stag being concealed but nearby seems to mirror observations of some other experienced sambar hunters I have talked to.

I saw this stag late may so a little while ago. the bugger could be anywhere now I think. being fairly open farmland in the area with four different properties neighbouring each other he could be on one place one day and another the next. where I saw him from was the best vantage point I could get I just made the mistake of trying to video first and having a proper look second and then the opportunity was gone.

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #26 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Took these images from video footage over the weekend of preaching Sambar. They remind me of dancing bears in a circus. Crazy how they support themselves on their little hooves.
They have what are called pre-orbital glands under their eyes which excrete a scent that they rub on trees above scrapes. It is believed that they try and gain height while doing this to indicate their size and consequently their place in the pecking order to other stags and hinds.

IP Logged

johnboy
Forum Senior

Reply #27 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 11:55am
Print Post  

There's one for you , dig some more photos out on sunday evening when I get home

While there is lead in the air ,there is hope

IP Logged

ramjet

Reply #28 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Great photo johnboy. thanks for posting.

IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #29 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Ive seen plenty of sambar hinds on their backlegs to reach a high branch but never stag preaching. Thanks Ramjet

A particular virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience...- Aldo Leopold

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards