Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic Otago Conservation Management Strategy consultation. Your heritage, your say - Tōu Taonga, Tōu Whakaaro (Read 6747 times)
Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Otago Conservation Management Strategy consultation. Your heritage, your say - Tōu Taonga, Tōu Whakaaro
Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
The Otago Department of Conservation Management Strategy is up for comments

Its important that we as individuals and clubs comment on this document.

Just so you know how this works.  The Otago Conservation Board prepare and produce a management strategy (CMS) for the area.  They do this every 10 years.  The Otago conservation Board are good people to deal with.  They are locals and do have minds of their own they represent our interests in how we would like to see the Conservation land run.  In my experience they have listened to a hunters perspective with an open mind and are approachable.

The CMS they produce is required to adhere to and exists within the framing legislation such as the Conservation Act National Parks Act and the Conservation policy 2005.  The main purpose of the conservation board is to listen and develop the CMS with influence from the general public.  If you want a say on huts, tracks and areas of interest to you or your recreational group considered then the CMS is where you should speak.  If you want concession activity removed from a CMS or access and activities to be permitted the CMS is one place you must be heard on.

In the next few weeks I will go through the CMS and prepare a primer for people intersted in making a submission but here is an example of the sort of issues in a CMS I lifted this one out of a previous Canterbury CMS document.  The Otago CMs will influence things like the Blue Mountains RHA, the Greenstone Caples RHA and so on

Quote:
Excerpt from previous Canterbury CMS document
15.Undertake operational monitoring of all pest control operations, including the following:
• pre-monitoring of natural condition and animal densities
• post-operation density performance monitoring to determine project effectiveness
• various post-operation monitoring of natural values to determine improvements in natural quality.

16.Control wild animals such as deer, pig, chamois and thar in most areas by recreational hunters and/or
commercial operators, unless monitoring shows this to be ineffective.

17.Continue to assess recreational hunting in RHAs for its effectiveness in adequately protecting the
vegetation, soils, water and wildlife of the area.

Canterbury CMS – September 2000 177

18.Vary or revise the following wild animal control plans at least every five years or sooner as required, in accordance with the Wild Animal Control Act 1977:
•Oxford Recreational Hunting Area (Griffiths, 1982)
•Lake Sumner Recreational Hunting Area (Belton, 1986)
• Himalayan Thar Control Plan 1993

19.Encourage and allow for recreational hunting by permit only on appropriate land managed by the
Conservancy.

20.Determine priority areas for wild animal control and relevant wild animal density thresholds based on
their impacts on indigenous vegetation, and the significance of that vegetation.

21.Determine the number of aircraft to be permitted under a WARS licence. This may be for any species of wild animal, for the Conservancy, or any part thereof having regard to:
• the provisions of the Wild Animal Control Act
• the requirement to protect native flora and fauna
• conflict with other legitimate uses of lands managed by the Department

So you see from above the CMS affects RHA's, concession activity, funding for tracks, a whole host of activities.
If anyone has an area of interest to themselves or their club I am more than happy to help them out with information to assist their submission.

Here is the link to the DoC site   Otago Conservation Management Strategy

Here is the email address at DoC for more CMS  information cmsnational@doc.govt.nz
and here for the Specific South Island CMS info  southislandcms@doc.govt.nz

Here is the 2005 Conservation Policy 2005 Conservation Policy

The Conservation General Policy 2005 is worth a read its a guide to whats covered in a CMS it has a big part to play in shaping a CMS. This policy requires the CMS to do many things, including but not limited to:
• Identify how to integrate management of places to achieve national conservation outcomes.
• Clarify priorities for management of conservation resources.
• Guide decision-making (e.g. concessions).
• Coordinate planning between conservation management strategies and plans.
• Identify outcomes at places.

How to make a submission and the submission form for down load Make a Submission
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:00pm by Weathered »  

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Re: Otago Conservation Management Strategy consultation Your heritage, your say - Tōu Taonga, Tōu Whakaaro
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Huh you would think the doc hunter liaison person who's a member here supposedly to engage with us etc would keep us informed of this sort of thing ay.....yeah right! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

dochunting
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Otago Conservation Management Strategy consultation. Your heritage, your say - Tōu Taonga, Tōu Whakaaro
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Chris,
I agree.
Apologies, I have encouraged hunters to participate in the CMS process in other mediums but it appears not this one.
I would support Weathered in asking hunters to participate in the process.
A slight correction on how the CMS is formulated: The Conservation Board is an important part of the CMS process but the final sign off is with the Conservation Authority.

The process involved in developing a conservation management strategy is determined by Section 17F of the Conservation Act 1987, and involved the following steps:

1.Director-General of the Department of Conservation, in consultation with the Conservation Board and others prepares the draft strategy for each conservancy (region)
2.Publicly notify the draft strategy and make copies available
3.Submissions made within a minimum of 40 days of being notified
4.Representatives of the Director-General and the Conservation Board jointly hear submissions
5.Director-General prepares a summmary of submissions and public opinion and revises draft
6.Director-General refers revised draft to Conservation Board with summary of submissions within 8 months of public notification
7.Conservation Board refers back to the Director-General on any matters if required (may need to go back to step 6)
8.New Zealand Conservation Authority may consult the Director-General, Conservation Board and others; makes changes and refers to Minister for comment
9.Minister considers the strategy and provides comment
10.New Zealand Conservation Authority approves the strategy or refers it back to the Minister (may go back to step 9)
11.The conservation management strategy is approved.

Also: E Mail address for submissions is southislandcms@doc,govt.nz southislandcms@doc.govt.nz

Southland CMS also being reviewed.

As with all these processes we don't get everything we would wish for but the more supporting information supplied with submissions the better the chance of influencing the result.
If in doubt, as Weathered has indicated, talk with your local Conservation Board members.
I would also advocate that talking with local DOC staff can also help.
All the best,
Dochunting

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Re: Otago Conservation Management Strategy consultation. Your heritage, your say - Tōu Taonga, Tōu Whakaaro
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
dochunting wrote on Jul 1st, 2013 at 11:58am:
Chris,
I agree.
Apologies, I have encouraged hunters to participate in the CMS process in other mediums but it appears not this one.
I would support Weathered in asking hunters to participate in the process.
A slight correction on how the CMS is formulated: The Conservation Board is an important part of the CMS process but the final sign off is with the Conservation Authority.

The process involved in developing a conservation management strategy is determined by Section 17F of the Conservation Act 1987, and involved the following steps:

1.Director-General of the Department of Conservation, in consultation with the Conservation Board and others prepares the draft strategy for each conservancy (region)
2.Publicly notify the draft strategy and make copies available
3.Submissions made within a minimum of 40 days of being notified
4.Representatives of the Director-General and the Conservation Board jointly hear submissions
5.Director-General prepares a summmary of submissions and public opinion and revises draft
6.Director-General refers revised draft to Conservation Board with summary of submissions within 8 months of public notification
7.Conservation Board refers back to the Director-General on any matters if required (may need to go back to step 6)
8.New Zealand Conservation Authority may consult the Director-General, Conservation Board and others; makes changes and refers to Minister for comment
9.Minister considers the strategy and provides comment
10.New Zealand Conservation Authority approves the strategy or refers it back to the Minister (may go back to step 9)
11.The conservation management strategy is approved.

Also: E Mail address for submissions is southislandcms@doc,govt.nz southislandcms@doc.govt.nz

Southland CMS also being reviewed.

As with all these processes we don't get everything we would wish for but the more supporting information supplied with submissions the better the chance of influencing the result.
If in doubt, as Weathered has indicated, talk with your local Conservation Board members.
I would also advocate that talking with local DOC staff can also help.
All the best,
Dochunting

Grin Grin Grin are you kidding me??!! i bet if i walked into doc tomorrow and asked, not one of them would know what i was even talking about! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
I went into the local DOC office in Hamilton today on a work project and they had copies of the CMS all over the reception area

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
well call me a sceptic then Grin

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
TJ wrote on Jul 1st, 2013 at 6:41pm:
I went into the local DOC office in Hamilton today on a work project and they had copies of the CMS all over the reception area

wallpaper?  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards