Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dogs and Cancer (Read 4301 times)
Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Dogs and Cancer
Jun 25th, 2013 at 6:15am
Print Post  
I am driving along the other day in my truck listening to National Radio and there is a bit on dogs and cancer.
The vet said that 70% of dogs die from cancer and that bigger dogs die between 7 and 9 years of age. I say to Red [that's the dogs name Wink Grin] bloody hell your living on borrowed time mate, he is 9 1/2.

Well to cut along story short he gets a bit of a limp and off to the vet he goes and after an xray he is found to have a cancerous tumour in his back leg and was put down last Monday.

Why do 70% of dogs die from cancer ?

Is it what they are fed all the processed crap are we better off feeding our dogs a natural diet ?

IP Logged

Fat Gig
Forum Font

just another tax payer

Re: Dogs and Cancer
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Sh*t that's bloody awfull mate looks like he was a top dog weve had a couple dogs go like that its sad im not sure the awnser as to why though.the dog we have now has been sprayed as the vet told me it reduces the risk of cancer later in life if it is diet would be intresting to know

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Awesome photos there Salmoner, I'm sorry to hear about your mate.

Im not sure I agree entirely with what the person on the radio was saying. Certainly some breeds might have a shorter life expectancy (Rotties, Newfoundlands, boxers for example) but it is very hard to get figures to apply across the board, also an "average" for a breed is only that, an average so the majority of dogs will be one side or the other of a set figure.
I would say 7-9 years is lower than average even for large breeds and might only be true of giant breeds.

Its interesting that across breeds dogs and cats are likely to be living longer now than previously and modern nutrition is actually considered part of that mix!

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/33076736/ns/health-pet_health/t/life-dog-years-many-pe...
“The most short-lived breeds are giant breeds. They tend to live to be 6 or 8 years old,” says John Berg, a veterinarian and professor in the department of clinical sciences at Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine in Grafton, Mass. “Large breeds like shepherds, Labs, goldens probably live 10 to 13 years and the medium and small breeds 12 to 14 years. Mixed breeds in general tend to live a little bit longer than pure breeds.”

Also I wouldnt agree that 70% of dogs die due to cancer, my understanding is across all breeds approximately 25-50% of dogs die from cancer but within some breeds the number is higher.

My anecdotal experience would support this. In clinic we may have a slightly skewed view of all dog deaths as we only see those brought in for euthanasia yet I would say advanced arthritis would be at least as common a reason for euthanasia as terminal cancer.

As to causes of cancer, there are a lot. Cancer can arise from virtually any cell type in the body and each cancer may have its own triggers.
For example squamous cell carcinoma is mainly a disease of white haired pink skinned cats and dogs from sun damage, but bone cancer is much more common in large breed dogs (especially rottwiellers) in the long bones of the leg , in rotties one study suggested that desexing also increased the risk for that breed.

Theres a good paper on canine cancer here:
http://www.hindawi.com/isrn/vs/2013/941275/
This chart from the paper might be of interest in particular:
http://www.hindawi.com/isrn/vs/2013/941275/tab1/

Just like in humans with cancer research there are certainly genetic factors and there is a lot we dont know about triggers.

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
sorry to hear ya dog passed on salmoner.
a shame as he was getting into his well earned retirement years by the look of it. Sad

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
+1 salmoner, very sorry to hear that mate.
i have lost two of my english setter bitchs to breast cancer Sad

IP Logged

Grunt Futtick
Donor Member

Adventure is the opposite
of television.

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:48am
Print Post  
Red was a pretty good mutt. He took me tahr hunting once, deer hunting and salmon fishing a few times.
I have a great picture of him pointing at a spiker with salmoner, dog and deer all in the same frame.

Hunting wild animals on Department of Conservation administered land during the hours of darkness (˝ hour after sunset to ˝ hour before sunrise) is prohibited.

IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Geez that's a bit rough Salmoner. Very sorry to hear that news. R.I.P. Red.  Sad

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

bigbadwolf
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 4:55am
Print Post  
How did they diagnose cancer for your dog mate? I had an Xray done on my 3 year old Huntaway while he had a sore leg and it appeared to show a golfball sized tumour on the pelvis, the vet wanted to put him down then and there but I decided not to as I couldn't spare him so got some painkillers instead.

A week or so later he was perfectly fine again, turns out the tumour was actually a broken pelvis that healed very well by itself.

I think the vets now recommend biopsys or surgery to diagnose cancer rather than just going by what it looks like on the Xray.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Sorry BBW have just seen your question.

He fell out of my maimai and limped for a few days and then tried to jump up on the deck of my truck and didn't make it and again fell on the side he was limping on. Waited for a bout 10 days and then took him to the vet and he went on painkillers and about 10 days later took him back where he was diagnosed under x ray.

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 9:55am
Print Post  
BBW the pelvis is not a common site for bone cancer.

Most commonly bone cancer in dogs occurs "towards the knee" eg: tibia/fibula near the stifle or the end of the femur at the stifle;  and "away from the elbow" eg: the top end of the humerus and the carpal end of the radius and ulna.
It can occur in any bone though.
To be fair in an older dog with "classic" radiographic lesions in a "classic" location, further tests are not always done. Bone biopsy for a definative diagnosis is a painful procedure done under general anaesthetic and its not cheap but it has its place.

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 9:42am
Print Post  
My GSP is going on 11 this year,deaf as a post but still going strong otherwise..should get at least this duck season out of the old boy I reakon,still feel mean when I leave him behind on the deer hunts tho an take the pup instead..

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:28am
Print Post  
Do you see much skin cancer on the face. Dogs being dogs tend to lie in the sun and Im dammed if ive been able to teach mine to put on sun-blocker..

Do their noses suffer from sunburn and cancer?

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:16am
Print Post  
White coat with pink skin around nose and ears does predispose to skin cancer, even so its more common in cats than dogs. Squamous cell carcinoma is the usual culprit, it starts as spots that scab and then it starts to eat tissue away. pretty horrible cancer, tends to invade locally rather than spread through the body but hard to remove around the nose when well established, best caught and cut out +/- cautery early. Ear tips can be removed if affected.
Melanomas can also occur particularly around the mouth, not sure they are always associated with sun damage in dogs - lumps that may be black or even pink colour. Not as common as squamous cell carcinomas tho in my experience.
You can get animal sunscreen to rub on nose and ears for those with the susceptible skin type.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Quote:
BBW the pelvis is not a common site for bone cancer.

tibia/fibula near Most commonly bone cancer in dogs occurs "towards the knee" eg: the stifle or the end of the femur at the stifle;  and "away from the elbow" eg: the top end of the humerus and the carpal end of the radius and ulna.
It can occur in any bone though.
To be fair in an older dog with "classic" radiographic lesions in a "classic" location, further tests are not always done. Bone biopsy for a definative diagnosis is a painful procedure done under general anaesthetic and its not cheap but it has its place.

Yip knee it was.

Man am I missing the old fella with duck shooting just around the corner. I have a few maimais out L Ellesmere and cant shoot a couple of them as they are surrounded by scrub and any wounded ducks get into the scrub and you cant get them without a dog. He would get everyone of them unless they fell dead and landed up high in a massive tangle of tall bush.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2014 at 12:15am by Salmoner »  

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Hi Ethos,

Your a good man to have on the forum.  Cool Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards