Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) diy alcohol stoves (Read 33102 times)
footsore
Forum Senior

Hunting - Cultural Immersion
in the Wilderness

Re: diy alcohol stoves
Reply #90 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Cheers for the tuition offer felixx. I've got the day off sick today and intend getting off my death bed later this afternoon and making a therapeutic stove or two. I learn something with each one I make.

IP Logged

johnd
Donor Member

I Love The smell of gunpowder

Reply #91 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Do try the cat stove with the double wall its simple and really boosts the performance.
Cat stove would have to be the simplest to make and use ...no need for a stand so its lighter too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9quaE8I4C4Y
You dont need the clips to hold it in place either.
If its just a quick cuppa on the hillside this is what I use but the esbit
( and other variations )is the better option in alcohol stoves for extended use ... ( they have the advantage of being able to simmer )

IP Logged

felixx
Forum Senior

Always looking for a spearfish
or hunt around chch

Reply #92 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Wow.. I use a std cat
Is the double wall worth it?

IP Logged

johnd
Donor Member

Reply #93 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
felixx wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 6:49pm:
Wow.. I use a std cat
Is the double wall worth it?

Well its only a thin slice of ali, but it makes the jets start real fast
( prime ) and generally lets it burn better.

IP Logged

footsore
Forum Senior

in the Wilderness

Reply #94 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
[quote author=707572747E1A0 link=1370860316/91#91 date=1372225986]Do try the cat stove with the double wall its simple and really boosts the performance.
Cat stove would have to be the simplest to make and use ...no need for a stand so its lighter too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9quaE8I4C4Y
You dont need the clips to hold it in place either.
If its just a quick cuppa on the hillside this is what I use but the esbit
( and other variations )is the better option in alcohol stoves for extended use ... ( they have the advantage of being able to simmer )[/
quote]

Yeah the other advantage of the Esbit is the capacity to store meths in the stove itself. But I will try that Cat stove too.

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #95 - Jun 27th, 2013 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
. . . great to see this thread getting out to five pages and all the testing of variations going on.

I obviously didn't experiment enough, as I found a working design some time back now and just used it and was happy!  Smiley Frankly, if you're getting sub 5mins rolling boil with minimal fuel for 2 cups of water that's right up there with all we hunters will ever need!!

But all this scientific stuff (thanks Felixx) has re-ignited (pun intended) an interest to disappear into the bowels of my garage and get in some stove making therapy.

(Some real effort around wind shields that leave enough oxygen seems pretty important on the hill also.)

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

felixx
Forum Senior

Always looking for a spearfish
or hunt around chch

Reply #96 - Jun 27th, 2013 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Cat stove was the fastest in my class tests

Wind shields, I use aluminium oven liner, with holes punched with a hole punch work ok.
I make it as deep as my billy and so it's circumference gives approx 1cm gap around the billy

Oh the lid off a big Milo tin work well as a lid on my stainless cup. If u turn it upside down It is a snug fit, for transport, pics to come

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #97 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 9:31am
Print Post  
The set-up I've been using for a while, shown without the shield. The shield is a foil one that I cut out from one of those aluminium trays you buy in the supermarket (as too is the fold over tight lid I made from the same tray)

The small lid the cooker sits in helps with any spillage and assists with the pre-ignite as I just squirt a bit of meths in there to help get it warming quickly.

With the shield I've just bent over one end with a corresponding lip on the other end so I can quickly join it together so it stays in place.

I'm able to fold all this cooking gear away into the cup, which then goes inside my muslin meat bag.

You might notice there is a yellow Leppin Squeezy in that cup also (I normally carry a couple of those to fill in the space and these are a great wee 'pick-me-up' if I need some 'after-burner' to finish out a long day . . . or just to burn the young fellas off  Smiley Cheesy

Have thought about using holes in a stronger shield through which I could put some wire supports for holding the cup instead of my wee wire mesh  support, so will be interested to see that concept working on the hill if others are finding that successful.

Thanx for the idea on the milo lid Felixx - might check out who drinks a lot of milo around here!  (I noticed nowadays you can buy a litre metal mug that comes with a lid and a small knob to help in lifting off - tho I find my lid works well and doesn't rely on a knob that could get busted off and then make the job a bit trickier.)

Good sharing on here is what makes the forum special aye! Smiley Smiley

GTalk  
IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

We interrupt this marriage
for hunting season.

Reply #98 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Hi, I'm Kersh and I'm an alcoholic...... Well, that is to say I'm addicted to these damn stoves!
Hadn't even seen one until about a week ago, Now I'm in full production of all the differing sorts.
The weight I'm saving in fuel and burners is rapidly appearing around my middle, drinking two or three cans of Red Bull, V, and Coke a day to keep up my habit  Undecided

I ran some test yesterday with my JetBoil Sol Ti pot and some of my current creations.

All tests were 400ml Cold water (and Cold Pot).

Jetboil = 2 mins dead
Capillary Hoop mini (Red Bull) = 4 mins dead (on 20mls Meths)
Capillary Hoop Maxi (Std Coke) = 3 mins dead. (on 17mls Meths)

I'm currently making the Kaizen Petal thingy, which Is a pain in the arse.

I'll test the rift stove too soon and add some pictures.
I've only got a 1.0mm drill, so the mini got 7 jets, maxi 8.

Can't remember weights, but I think they were 7.5g and ~15g.
Also made a pot stand from Titanium welding wire (7g).....

I blame you guys! Once I read this thread I was ruined.....  Wink

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

footsore
Forum Senior

in the Wilderness

Reply #99 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Oh Kerseh you poor fool -unless you act now then I'm afraid your future is already mapped out.

You see the pop can stoves are what we call "gateway stoves" -before long the highs you experience with these cookers will diminish and leave you wanting more- then some seemingly innocent bloke [Creed perhaps] will mention Beer can stoves and you will be knocking back the Tui's, while inexplicably your stoves are becoming less and less efficient and your trembling, scorched hands will be covered in tin cuts- from here you will be drawn into the world of RTD stoves and the next thing you know you will be pushing an old supermarket trolley around town collecting cans from rubbish bins, wondering what you used to do with your life, while swigging from your meths bottle.

For God's sake say No to alcohol and go back to your jetboil and gas canister huffing.

IP Logged

scoped
Forum Font

Reply #100 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Nah, if you know of someone who has kids, buy a slab of coke , tell them to drink as much coke as possible. the catch is I keep the cans. ( then you get weird looks!!)

Anticipation is half the fun!

IP Logged

johnd
Donor Member

Reply #101 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Damn now this thread just got intersting ....oh oh whats that buzzing noise..... must be my  ankle bracelet.....

IP Logged

tube
Banned

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #102 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
ive built a couple out of curiosity whilst haveing an ale or two in the mancave and bugger me I must say im impressed!the new coke can is a very good wee boiler!

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #103 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
OK viewers.

Those of you who've made it to this little cult thread can now be let into a wee secret.

I've been watching this guys clips for a few years now . . . he's a bit like the fella that footsore talks about on the last page - probably become a fanatacist - but I've learnt a lot of him.

He's a professional builder of these stoves (YUP  YOU REaD CORRECTLY . . . HE HAS A FULL ON WORKSHOP TURNING OUT EVER-DEVELOPING & TESTED SUPER COOKERS!!)

go check his mega heaps of video's;
http://www.youtube.com/user/minibulldesign?feature=watch

The mini-bull itself is the ultimate little engineering feat!

Anyway, this OTT enthusiast guy has helped me a lot with some ultralight stuff but mostly for me it was his educational stuff watching how he did his own dehy meals that set me on the path to the dark side the light  . . . dunno what to call it  Cheesy Smiley

have fun . . .you'll get sore eyes watching all his stuff but check out his can cooker factory and the minibull itself and then knowck yourself out on anything else . . .

cheers . . .
but don't spin this sort of stuff around too far as some others will think we're nutters!!  Cheesy

GTalk  
IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

We interrupt this marriage
for hunting season.

Reply #104 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Indeed Creed, I have joined the cult. And while your man there is definately a prince among Alcohol Stove makers, I would refer you to the TRUE King of Stove technologists.....

Tetkoba

All with pretty good instructions on how to build them......

p.s. If anyone knows where to get Aluminium bottles similar to his Chimney Jet ones, I'd be keen to know  Cheesy

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards