Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I would give my left nut for a stag......... + update (Read 6015 times)
Deadeyez
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

I would give my left nut for a stag......... + update
Jun 5th, 2013 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Life is a funny ole` journey. 2012 had been pretty average on the work front and with three little girls under 5 years old meant that hunting and fishing time was limited.

It had been a long time between drinks with my last, first and only deer shot back in Dec 2010.
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1292586017/19#19.

I had been on a few armed hikes when I could and even got a glimpse of an animal one day in the kaimai's. But it is fair to say that things had been pretty lean on the hunting front.

I was determined to make sure that I did not let work get in the way and was thinking/planning about the Roar 2013 from some time out. Even planned to take my nephew into the bush for the first time as he had shown a keenness that you should never discourage.

Well a dull ache and finding a small lump on my left nut during January had me to the doctor, only to be told two days later that I probably had Nut Cancer and the tiny lump I could feel was the tip of an ice berg as the tumour had consumed 1/3rd of my nut already.

Bugger

Before you know it you are being wheeled into theatre to have your nut and associated plumbing extracted via 12cm incision on your belt line...... the call was made to one sad young wannabe hunter that the trip planned for his holidays had to be postponed. To be honest, I was feeling pretty sorry for myself at the time as I waited for the results of all the tests to find out what sort of nut cancer I had and was I riddled with it. I lay there wondering if I would get to see my little girls grow up and more selfishly about whether they would even remember their dad should the news be bad.

It is time like these that you really know who your mates are. About two weeks after surgery Osama asked if I would like to come into the Whirinaki with him and Meathunter72 at Easter, which turned out to be in about 6 weeks. I noted that I was not in the greatest of shape and did not want to split my guts open on them in the middle of the bush. After a bit of piss taking about having to carry my lunch, rifle and pack, I accepted on the basis that my health was ok and I had a level of confidence in my ability to look after myself in there.

Having had 5 weeks off work already and only been back for a couple of weeks, I just noted that I was taking a couple more days off. Luckily I did not have to explain to my new boss that I was not taking no for an answer as the leave was approved.

I had to get fit.

I got out of bed and starting walking around the block a few times, then two weeks prior, did a 5 hour hike across Tama Lakes crossing with a light pack. By the week before Easter I thought I had enough fitness to cope, but I would have to take it easy and not push it.

Once the pack was loaded with 5 days/4 nights provisions, hammock, gun and gadgets I thought I might have been pushing it..... but there was no way I was not going ahead with his.

The walk in was at a gentle pace as we stopped and roared from vantage point to vantage point along the way. From the 2012 roar I had met a guy with an electronic caller and as I suck at roaring, and in light of my predicament, I splashed the hundy I had been given for Christmas along with a "poor me" fifty I talked the wife into and ended up with a new toy to play with. I thought that I do not have that many chances so I need to add any advantage possible.

All the way to Hilton was silence, we did not even hear a peep. It was hot and it was dry, I think we all thought by the time that we had arrived a camp that we were far too early.

Having arrived at camp in pretty good nick and not too many aches and pains, I was pretty confident that I would last me time in the bush.

Up at sparrows fart and with pre-agreed areas designated I trudged off up the first spur of the area that MH72 and chosen for me.

Now I am not sure how many of you know MH72, but from the handful of times that I have hunted with him I am convinced that he has deer pens scattered around the area and he just wanders up, has a snooze for most of the day, wakes up and shoots a round into the air for us all to hear, then slaughters the animal of his choosing and carries it back to camp. It is either that, or he has a natural odour of a cycling hind as the man is a deer magnet....   Grin

Having noted where to head too and with words of encouragement about him shooting a couple of stags off the ridge last roar I was off. To be honest, I did not want to get all girly on them, but I was just happy to be there. I was happy to be in the bush with the sounds and the smells. I was happy to not be in pain and most of all I was happy just to be vertical and with a pulse..... albeit with a pulse that indicated that my heart would like to exit my chest cavity and lungs that felt like I had inhaled a tube of deep heart.   Smiley

After a couple of hours I was only about 650m as the crow flies from camp. But I had heard one moan on another ridge and just came into an a beautiful bit of bush and a small saddle which had about 60m viz. I then noted I had a stag moaning in the gulley to my right and another moaning out in front of me.

It was at this time that Obi Wan Osama appeared to me. A wise man that parted a lot of knowledge in my head as he had taken me under his wing over the last couple of years hunting.

Osama says " never walk past a moaning deer"

This is not to be confused with his other saying of “always walk past a moaning wife”

So with good wind, great viz and a couple of moaning stags close by I stopped, sat down and listened. After a few minutes I let out a moan and got one moan straight back and a delayed moan from the other. To be honest they did not sound like they were that interested. I had pictures in my head of a stag chillaxing in the sun, smoking a reefer and getting his antler polished by the girls  Wink

I let out another moan and got a similar sort of response. My natural and highly unsuccessful instinct of fixing bayonets and charging blindly into the unknown was starting to consume me, but I keep trying to listen to what Osama had taught me.

This time I figure I would let out a spiker call, it sounded lightly more aggressive in a pansy spiker kind of way. Once again the same moaning response with no indication that the animals had moved.

A few minutes later I heard a stick crack and instantly enjoyed a full mainline of adrenalin. There was another crack followed by the sound of someone/thing walking across the dry beach leaves. Even though my heart was racing I became convince that my caller was bringing in a fellow hunter. It was just too damn noisy and was coming right towards me.

Well bugger me, what should appear on the far side of the saddle but a stag. He weaved his way towards me as I took off the safety and closed the bolt. But I had a problem, he was heading around the leeward side and I had to move around the other side of the tree I was behind. I repositioned myself hoping desperately that he would not see me. But now I could not see him as he had dropped down a small gut. He starts moving up the side and by this time I knew that he was getting close to winding me. But he was partially obscured by a rimu sapling so I waited some more. In the next instant he turned and looked right at me from about 45m away.

Obi Wan Osama appeared again.

Osama says "if you have a safe shot, take it, don't piss around"

Instantly I adjusted my reticle from "steady" to "crazy random figure 8", took a short breath and BOOM!!!!

I thought I saw that deer drop through the scope, but then I heard it running off..... bugger $%^&*......fix bayonets....charge..... wait ...... wait....

Osama say "Once you shoot deer sit down and wait"

It sounded like the stag was thrashing in the ferns, but it sounded like it was getting further away. After an eternity I went down to where I had shot it.... bugger... no blood.... oh, but there is fresh tracks of an animal leaving in a hurry. I followed them and they lead to a step gully full of ferns. Right I said, he has to be in there somewhere. I spent the next hour grid searching the ferns back and forth, from the top of the gulley to the bottom.... nothing!!!   Sad

In the meantime I could still hear the other two stags moaning every 15 mins with one of them starting to get a bit more worked up. I when back to where I had taken the shot and was just about to give up and head off after the two stags I could hear when I thought I would go and have one more look at the area where I thought I had shot it. Still no blood, but then I thought I would walk 15m further to the top of the gully on the other side............blood.......lots of blood......   Smiley

He had not been on the closer part like first thought, but was on the furthers side of the small gut.  I followed the blood for about 25m and there was my first stag jammed under a fallen tree amongst some ferns. I was stoked and I am sure there is no need to try and describe the feelings I was experiencing to you guys.

All of a sudden Obi Wan Meathunter72 appeared

MH72 say "real work starts once you shoot the deer"

Yup. If I was going to split my guts open, the next 10 minutes was the time it was going to happen as I tried to drag this stag out from where he had wedged himself into and up the hill to the only bit of flat land in the vicinity.  I did not really mind as I had my stag albeit a scrubby little 5 pointer.

I soon came to appreciate how heavy the hind quarters, head and backsteaks could be as I wandered back to camp. I had my feet up with meat hanging by 1pm.

The next 4 days went on to show how few animals there were in the area and how lucky I had been. With stuff all sign and the others not hardly even hearing anything I felt pretty spoilt.

On the last day I got into some shitty bush and with the wind and rain I decided to call it quits early and head back to camp. But on my way back I look up and 25-30m away a silly spiker is just standing there looking at me. I take the safety off and close the bolt and he still stands there.....BOOM!!!!

Well that was easy... well so I thought until the millisecond passed when I realised that I would be walking out the next day with one very heavy pack for 3.5 hours primarily up a #$%$^&^ off big hill.

Just arriving back at camp MH72 turns up and says that he has shot a nice stag and needs help carrying all the meat back to camp. The body said no, but the mind said I had to. Turns out it was a lovely animal with nice head on it with long tines that really looked the part. Bugger me there was a lot of meat.

Up the next morning and boning lessons underway had me appreciating how heavy my pack was going to be. The guys were great and knew that it was only 8 weeks after surgery and offered to help carry some of it. I said that I wanted to try. I knew that if I started getting problems that I would have to let them help or else they would have had to carry me out as well and I was not going to let any macho bullshit place my mates into that situation.

I wanted the whole experience. I wanted to get the meat home under my own steam. I wanted to enjoy all of life's sensations.

Well I made it back to the car having set off before the others so I would not hold them up. You know you are in a lot of pain when you enjoy the change of  sensation as nettles brush across your thigh.  Lips Sealed

Maybe my luck has changed, maybe 2013 is not going to be such a bad year after all. 2013 had started badly, but as I lay on the ground back at the truck with my legs and lungs burning, I felt the warmth of the sun and a glow from a sense of achievement and it felt good to be alive.

The icing on the cake was chatting to a couple of real characters camping at the road end who had seen me stumble in, who then took on legend status as they produced a ice cold beer........it just keeps getting better!!!  Cool

On a more sobbering note, I note nut cancer is rare, but if caught early has one of the best survival rates of any cancer in NZ. It is a young mans disease so fellas make sure that you give the boys a good feel every now and again. Better still get your missus to do it as I am sure I read somewhere that females have great sensitivity in their fingers and will be more likely to pick anything up... you can quote me on it!   Tongue

Most importantly, if you find anything, just go to the doctor and do not be a he-man about it, I have heard some pretty crap stories about some young fellas that should still be here if they had acted quicker.  Do remember thought that most things you find will be nothing much, but they will still need treatment, and if you are unlucky like me and you do have nut cancer, then the sooner you get onto it the better the outcome.

------------UPDATE----------

Thanks for all the kind words of support and messages that I received after posting this in the hunting stories thread. I thought that I would provide an update as I copied this over into the competition thread.

I have now had my second CT scan and it is all good news after round 1. Lump in lung has not grown at all and they are now not worried about it and the rest of my scan showed no extra lumps or bumps etc. So while I will be on surveillance for the next 10 years, it also means that I will have the best of medical care as they keep a close eye on me.

The sack may be half empty but the glass is half full. 

II'z

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Re: I would give my left nut for a stag......... + update
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Chur Bro Cool Cool

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Osama

The ghost of...

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Chur Bro Cool Cool

IP Logged

lewy_louie

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Great news!

I Laugh at the love and pride of Man, At the Sophist schools and Learned clan. For what are they all in high conceit, When Man in the Bush with God may meet?

IP Logged

6 mm

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Great write up

IP Logged

DAD
Donor Member

AKA:Gav AKA:Dough Boy

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Good onya mate.
Spred the word and feel a nut today Wink

The only things i really need is water, a gun and rabbits.

IP Logged

dave m
Donor Member

Remington and BEAR keep
me honest!!

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
You work at Thames Timber Deadeyez??
Awesome write up, and goodluck with your health. cheers  Smiley

you can't get a cold drink out of warm piss

IP Logged

Krico
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Good on you Mr - for having the courage to face up to something that clearly scared the crap outa you (and indeed would any of us)! Respect!  Great write-up too - and well done to your mates who stood by you through it all and were willing to take on the potential of a tricky situation if you'd fallen over. Good luck for the future.  Wink

IP Logged

Kaweka_Neil
Donor Member

If it's outdoors, it's
all good!

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Good story.  Glad your nut worries seem to have been sorted.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 12:59am
Print Post  
congrats man! Cool

IP Logged

Deadeyez
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 3:45am
Print Post  
dave m wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:15pm:
You work at Thames Timber Deadeyez??
Awesome write up, and goodluck with your health. cheers  Smiley

Nope, I am in Thames though.

IP Logged

gazza b

a tip-dont wipe your arse
with a broken beerbottle

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Bloody good Story, Hope your health keeps improving .

IP Logged

yogi
Donor Member

Patience, persistence
and perseverance

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Good read thanks. You have certainly been through some highs and lows, so am pleased for you and your family.

Just got to keep on chipping away!

IP Logged

Tylersdad

Yes dear, i'll do it soon.

Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 7:31am
Print Post  
great write up.

IP Logged

dave m
Donor Member

Remington and BEAR keep
me honest!!

Reply #14 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Deadeyez wrote on Jun 15th, 2013 at 3:45am:
Nope, I am in Thames though.

true, must of seen you somewhere anyway. I use to work for Shaun Richards Electrical.

you can't get a cold drink out of warm piss

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards