Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rifle range stag (Read 4077 times)
rambro
Donor Member

Rifle range stag
May 1st, 2013 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
A few months back I posted on here for someoneto take me to the tiritea rifle range , so i can check my sights after i dropped it.
Lucky for me after a few days, I had a pm from Rosco saying he would help me out. After sending some rounds down the range , we were then talking about hunting and mentioned the sika roar and to pm him closer to the roar.

Ive had alot of offers  berfore with people not following through, lucky for me Rosco was true to his words. Alot of pms were sent about gear etc, put in for some leave for work ., it was all go.

Wednesday lunch i knock off work, Rosco picks me up, we head to countdown for supplies and off to the kaimanawas we go for my first sika roar.

Arriving in the car parkin the drizzly rain, me Rosco and Spy headed off into the hills. 3 1/2 hours later we arrived at camp. A quick set up of gear , sleeping bags unfolded, we were soon lying in the tent  listing to the rain hammer down on us. Rosco gave me the run down on sika deer and what to expect.

Spy carrying her load in.

Day 1

I had a restless sleep in the wind and rain and we were soon up feasting on bacon and eggs.

We left camp in one direction in the driving rain and headed up a ridge, then i herd my first hee haw. We ended up crossing ridges to get onto the noisy stag. Rosco let out a few roars but they wernt playing ball. Throughout the whole day we herd a few hee haws, seen some nice country and got absolutley soaked.

We got back to camp, got into some warm dry clothes , had a feed of steak, potatoes and mushrooms and we  were soon back in the tent. It wasnt the sound of rain now, but the gale force winds ripping through camp. Sleep came easy that night.

Day 2
After the windy night we awoke to a steady breeze but no rain. After putting my wet socks and longjohns back on we were away. Slowly staking up a ridge Roscoe let out a roar, we were greeted with a few hee haws and our first single call.
I got into position behind a fallin tree and we roared into the gully the the single call came from. A minute later another hunter popped out fro the bush to our left. Comes up asking why we were in there as there were no others in the carpark. Not the way id like to be thinking and then asking if we had a electronic caller- its just Rosco is half sika i think??? After i bit of a fright it scared me a bit, we went our seperate ways and had to change plans. The rest of the day was a bit quiet and the wind made it hard to hear in the bush. We got to camp on dark, after another full day on the hill, i was out to it.

Rutting pad. This was was real fresh.

Day 3
We woke to a calm day and after a quick feed and the turtle mirror we were off again. The legs were felling it abit today but i soon forgot about that when i herd a hee haw. We roared into a gully and waited. We herd a crack below, be it human or deer something was down there. After sitting still for 10 minutes thinking there nothing there i catch the movement and antlers of a sika stag. I was shaking with excitedment, but the swirling wind got in the way.

We carried on , then i heard i loud single call coming from across the gully, wow these sound cool and i see how you sika hunters get addicted , every time we roared he roared back. I could here him make the weirdest whining noises. We were in the thickest shit trying to close the ground down the ridge. I think i was to excited and made a bit to much noise as he soon shut up shop.

What a day that was i got to experiance the sneaky smart sika and the extremly vocal single calling stag. What an experiance.

As i lay in my sleeping bag that night i was loving the day i just had, but also thinking i only have half a day left before leaving for the walk out.

Bush.

Day 4.

We headed out nice and early up the ridge when spy gave me the " why are you going up there, when theres a deer just there " look. I must say this was my first time hunting with a dog, and spy impressed me so much, she was awesom at leading me back to camp and telling me im walking past deer  Cheesy

So im standing looking hard for some movement. Rosco let a a roar, the stag hee hawd and then i seen it through the gaps pusing its hind away from us down the ridge, we roared again and he was further down the ridge.
We push down the ridge to close the gap when our movement spooks a young stag. Rosco roars and stops the stag. I had a massive tree in my view and Rosco was out in the open making little roars to hold the young stag for me to get a shot.

I had to move around a tree and quickly lined him up. Down he went ...... My FIRST Sika stag. I was/ still am over the moon. What a hunt this has been.
Rosco cut it up , teaching me some new ways and we packed the meat back to camp.

We quicky packed up, and headed for the car. Rosco the good bugger he is even helped me carry half the meat out. My legs were felling it on the walk out and it was a relief to get to the car.

A total of 30 hours hunting in all weather for this stag and it was worth every minute.

Not a trophy, but to me it is Smiley Smiley

A huge thanks to Rosco for taking me up and teaching me a shit load about hunting and the good company and jokes shared.

Also to the forum for making this stuff happen.

Rambo sika slayer rem700..

Thought id enter in here aswell  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

pyro

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Rifle range stag
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2013 at 3:55am
Print Post  
Great read, you sound chuffed and deserve to be, thanks for posting!

IP Logged

SAVAGE
Donor Member

Do what you've always
done...........

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2013 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Awesome effort by all 3 of you  Cool.

and get what you've always got.

IP Logged

squidy
Forum Font

Still educating those
Sika

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2013 at 1:28am
Print Post  
well done and good write up.

Big ups to Rosco for sharing his time with you..

IP Logged

HunterP

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2013 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Great write up mate! Hope you managed to still getting out there over winter

IP Logged

Fat Harry
Donor Member

TC Venture 308

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 3:20am
Print Post  
congrats to you three on your success. Good read rambro.

Too old Too Fat Too slow - he was a great dog

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2013 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
great story
and mate it IS a trophy
in 50 years time it will still mean more to you than all the others and even in your vintage years you will be able to look upon that weathered rack on the garage wall and remember the sights n smells of your first. Wink

IP Logged

Fat Gig
Forum Font

just another tax payer

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 7:40am
Print Post  
owsome mate well stoaked for you.top job all round

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Cool

IP Logged

270LXR
Forum Senior

Deer Stalking since 2008

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Well done to you both.

Very well written article too  Cool

Work Hard - Play Hard - Stay Hard

IP Logged

ezdirect.
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Good stuff! Cool

revertetur firmior    resident camp possum
IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
A nice story to remember,well done. Cool

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Kaweka_Neil
Donor Member

If it's outdoors, it's
all good!

Reply #12 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 6:30am
Print Post  
Top post!  Well done guys (and spy, who had to carry her own stuff)...!!!.

IP Logged

Ruger Weasel

Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Nice work, good pics- very generous ppl out there-

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards