Fishnhunt New Zealand hunting and Fishing Forum Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

| Forum 1995-2002 | Forum 2002-2006 | To Fishnhunt Mainpage |
  Home Donate Advertise HelpSearchLoginRegister Historic Photos  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
DOC as a prostitute (Read 8189 times)
whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Upper Hutt
Re: DOC as a prostitute
Reply #80 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 9:27pm

while your opinions on hunters not that tolerant of other users or positives about trampers maybe true to a point but its no different to drivers whinging about cyclists/horses on the road etc

I couldn't give a rip about what drivers whinging, I care about hunters and hunting as a way of life in this country.
I want to see hunting being held in high regard for my children and my children's children and beyond.

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Canterbury
Reply #81 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 8:35am

whereami wrote on Jun 17th, 2013 at 9:27pm:
I couldn't give a rip about what drivers whinging, I care about hunters and hunting as a way of life in this country.
I want to see hunting being held in high regard for my children and my children's children and beyond.

I think informed and aware people do hold hunting in high regard.  Problem is "incidents" are highlighted by media and positives not presented.  How many negative stories of tramping and bird watching have you seen on the national media?? 
We have a rich and proud history of hunting that builds with each generation.  However, we are a small group, same as trampers, and must hold each other to a high standard.  I don't see that happening in some cases and that is a larger societal problem that we are not responsible for.  Having said that we also cannot give up either.  Every time a hut is saved, tracks cleared, pests removed or kids informed we pave the way for a new generation, yet little credit is given.  While that is not what we do it for a bit of acknowledgement would be nice.

Give it a gun, rotor or propellor and they are all over it like blowwy's to a carcass

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Upper Hutt
Reply #82 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:10am

HiTop wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 8:35am:
I think informed and aware people do hold hunting in high regard. Problem is "incidents" are highlighted by media and positives not presented. How many negative stories of tramping and bird watching have you seen on the national media??
We have a rich and proud history of hunting that builds with each generation. However, we are a small group, same as trampers, and must hold each other to a high standard. I don't see that happening in some cases and that is a larger societal problem that we are not responsible for. Having said that we also cannot give up either. Every time a hut is saved, tracks cleared, pests removed or kids informed we pave the way for a new generation, yet little credit is given. While that is not what we do it for a bit of acknowledgement would be nice.

Give it a gun, rotor or propellor and they are all over it like blowwy's to a carcass

that I feel is the key.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Masterton
Reply #83 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 5:13pm

Quote:
How many negative stories of tramping and bird watching have you seen on the national media??

Trampers dont carry firearms Smiley

trampers are probably more worried about DOCs commercialization than hunters.
They rely on tracks and huts more, and are probably more reason to be anti mountain biking encroaching into more tracks

i personally dont have much problem with it, the back country has changed since I began using it, and it will change more.

The biggest uissue for me, is DOC diverting funding away from the back country to do more and more fringe development, some of which is debatabe

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Senior

Lost
Reply #84 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 6:23pm

Tararua Hunter wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 5:13pm:
Trampers dont carry firearms Smiley

trampers are probably more worried about DOCs commercialization than hunters.
They rely on tracks and huts more, and are probably more reason to be anti mountain biking encroaching into more tracks

i personally dont have much problem with it, the back country has changed since I began using it, and it will change more.

The biggest uissue for me, is DOC diverting funding away from the back country to do more and more fringe  development, some of which is debatabe

is that to do with the amount of users or is it just an image thing?  so the public thinks that's where there money goes?

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Masterton
Reply #85 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:07pm

Quote:
is that to do with the amount of users or is it just an image thing? so the public thinks that's where there money goes?

I think its a bit of better image, support from the public, and also encouraging new users, again to get them supporting conservation, but also because its good for people to become active.

Alongg the way, theres the idea that businesses will benifit, either directly, (guiding, etc) or indirectly (retailers, accomodation etc)

I dont have a problem with all that, except that theres a shift from what I think is an important heritage of new Zealanders. So while DOC is encouraging a lot more users, or different type, its impacting on the traditional back country - either though development of tracks etc, or reduced funding for those traditional places.

The result is a generation that will have no understanding ofr the "real" back country, or how to survive in it.

The book "Shelter from the Storm" by Rob brown, Shaun barnett etc, does a very good job of describing the different types of back country huts and their heritage value. One well known example is the good old forestry 6 bunk (S70) huts. Theres very few left in original condition, and now DOC is threatening to remove those that have "low use", unless the public take over.

If you want to enjoy a basic hut in the mountains, uncrowded (by trampers or flying hunters)i have to go further and be selective in where I stay. usually its in a tent.

relying on huts for hunting isnt good, but they are enjoyable just because of their historic value, and are a dissapearing way of life that used to exist.

To some extent, hunters that fly to these places, often dont may not "really" experience these places IMO - the effort and difficulties in getting there, and therefore the real value of those huts, bridges and tracks.
trampers because they only walk, usually, probably have a better appreciation of those places, than those that fly.
may be a bit of a generalization, but its how i see it

Rant over Smiley

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Upper Hutt
Reply #86 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:04pm

huts are better in the rain.
and tramper can sleep out on the porch when he snores too loud.

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Canterbury
Reply #87 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 8:47am

whereami wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:04pm:
huts are better in the rain.
and tramper can sleep out on the porch when he snores too loud.

+1
+++++++

Add to that if your fellow hunter shakes the iron on the walls with his snoring then he should be relocated carefully in the night, tip toeing over the noisy tramper, to a suitable location under a Beech tree till morning Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

Kaweka_Neil
Donor Member

If it's outdoors, it's
all good!

Wellington
Reply #88 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 12:35pm

I doubt there would be any cycling on the tracks I frequent in the Tararua's.  With the exception of the overdone tracks around Holdsworth, most are unsuitable.  They would be carrying the bikes more than riding them.

I've never encountered a cyclist on a track yet...

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Masterton
Reply #89 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 3:41pm

Apparently a mountain biker tried to ride the southern crossing - Shocked

Ive only seen bikes up the tracks around holdsworth.

wont surprize me if a track is redeveloped for bikes, somewhere in the tararuas

IP Logged

Kaweka_Neil
Donor Member

If it's outdoors, it's
all good!

Wellington
Reply #90 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 3:51pm

Tararua Hunter wrote on Jun 19th, 2013 at 3:41pm:

Ive only seen bikes up the tracks around holdsworth.

wont surprize me if a track is redeveloped for bikes, somewhere in the tararuas

Ride the Southern crossing - the mind boggles! Shocked Shocked

As for developing a track for mountain bikers, I wouldn't have a problem with it. They are just as entitled to use the bush for their enjoyment as I am when I go hunting. I would probably avoid the area though, as I would find cyclists whizzing past me bloody annoying. And as for someone tooting a little horn behind me as he approaches, wanting me to move aside - grrrr!!!! Angry

The national parks are large and there is room for all.

IP Logged

Hackmeat
Donor Member

temuka
Reply #91 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:26pm

anyone noitced the new tag on docs web pages ? Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; .

dislexics of the world untie

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #92 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 8:24pm

Hackmeat wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:26pm:
anyone noitced the new tag on docs web pages ? Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register .

Link don't work? Page been taken down? That suggests it was interesting........

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Canterbury
Reply #93 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:29pm

Try this one:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Speargrass Flat
Reply #94 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 1:25am

A true third world environmental primer, something to be rightly ashamed of.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Canterbury
Reply #95 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 7:28pm

Yes it appears somewhat lacking, that's for sure......

IP Logged

Rocco
Forum Font

Wellington
Reply #96 - Sep 17th, 2013 at 6:39pm

Tararua Hunter wrote on Jun 19th, 2013 at 3:41pm:

It's true. I did some of the intel gathering before the search kicked off. The rooster was overdue.

JD's response when I asked him if he'd seen a mountain bike isn't fit to print Tongue I think he thought I was joking....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print