Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) New Bows! (Read 84467 times)
Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Re: New Bows!
Reply #240 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Been a couple of years between new bows, the Chill has done me well sine replacing the Z7 Extreme, but one try of this (amongst a few others) and I was hooked.
Has everything I want..powerful but smooth draw cycle, solid wall, speed, not too heavy, dead to shoot, and very quiet.

I'll post more pics soon...

IP Logged

Oleh

Keen.

Reply #241 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Got myself a 60# longbow, as I have been feeling a bit anxious about the power of my 50# recurve when hunting - this year I have made it a priority to shoot a deer with a traditional bow, and I want to feel confident when I'm in that situation that I'm going to make a clean kill. It's a cheap korean made laminated reflex/deflex longbow (On special for $229 at Archery Direct), but it is nice to shoot and seems to be casting the arrows a lot faster than my recurve. I will have to check them with a chrono to be sure, but it just feels much more deadly. It's made me want to splash out on a more expensive one now!

With the heavier draw weight, I have noticed that my overall form has improved from having to think about every step of it to be accurate, and now my 50# recurve is really easy to get good accuracy with. I'm not quite there with the accuracy on this, but I have been getting consistently better with practise, and when I go back to the 50# recurve it's just easy. I upgraded the string to a flemish twist, which is really nice and quiet to shoot.

I took a video with my gopro of a set of 6 arrows through the new bow from this afternoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ed9i3qaR2Y

The arrows I'm using at the moment are a little bit light, but I had to have something to practise with while my set of good ones are being made up and sent from Archery Direct. I went with Gold tip Traditionals in 340 spine with 5" shield cut feather fletches in a right helical set up, with 100gr brass inserts and 175gr field points. I'm trying to work out which 2 blade broadheads to use which are in this weight range (I'd prefer cheaper, but if I have to pay more I have to pay more.) Any suggestions would be welcome  Grin

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #242 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Oleh what distance was that you were shooting at? I estimated by your footsteps about 12m

IP Logged

Oleh

Keen.

Reply #243 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 4:13am
Print Post  
Swodem - 13m - as long as my back yard allows for a flat shot. You can see the 2nd and 6th arrows are 'flyers' as such, whereas the other 4 are well grouped just high and right of the duct tape target - I need to reduce my flyers and I should be sweet. I can almost always tell before the arrow is even halfway to the target if I've done everything right and can be confident. That video is a fair representation of my average groups although I sometimes do much better or much worse. Consistency is what I'm after so a daily 50 arrow practise is my goal until I feel fully confident out to about 20m, which I would limit myself to in a hunting setting with this set up.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #244 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 4:22am
Print Post  
Good work man, I like your dedication and ethos

IP Logged

Brendan
Donor Member

Reply #245 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 10:59am
Print Post  
That is good value for a nice bow. tusker broad heads are good value and they gave me some freebies when I ordered them from Australia.

IP Logged

willyr1

DGA LONGBOWS ALL THE WAY!

Reply #246 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Another vote for tusker here mate or badger. I shot my deer few days ago with a tusker delta 165 grn glue on and a 100 grn glue in adapter. Tusker are cheap as. They work out to be about $4-5 each delivered to your door depending on how many and which ones you want.

DGA longbow 59#@28
Grizzlystik Qarbon Nano 2 67#@28

IP Logged

Oleh

Keen.

Reply #247 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 5:29am
Print Post  
Sweet as - Received my new arrows and they are flying great now! Tried the 175grain field points but something was awry with the way they were hitting the target so I tried some 150's I had from my recurve arrows and BOOM the accuracy, consistency and 'Thwack' on hitting the target increased every time. I had a few old Tusker Javelins lying around and gave them a clean up and a good sharpen... They fly great - exactly the same as the field points at that weight and they penetrate the target really well. I took them out for a walk yesterday and shot a wee billy with a very clean full pass through (it was a pretty close shot and a pretty small goat so I would expect as much but great to see them doing the job!) I just watched this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zewtuUM_0 - regarding archer's paradox and why the correct spine arrow will create better accuracy - I had always sort of 'got it' but this explained it in a way that really got through to me WHY it was so important - especially the bit regarding the nodes of flex which is why your draw length comes into play so strongly as well. Lightbulb moment for me and good to see it working in real life with my new bow and my new arrows. Cheers for the advice on the Tuskers and yep I will be using them for sure. If anyone wants to go in on an order to get heaps or combine shipping let me know.

IP Logged

Thor762
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #248 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
My first traditional longbow.  I hand carved this out of a single stave of Pacific Mountain Yew.  Not a single power tool touched this piece.  55lb draw at 28" drawlength.
Arrows were handmade out of Yellow Cedar with 3" Cherry footings, 125gr History Point, and 5 inch turkey feathers.  co*k feather was a two piece splice.  Arrows weigh between 571 grains and 580 grains.

First group at 15 meters.

This is what the bow started as.

This is what the arrows started as.

I hope to bring it down with me and blood it when I come to New Zealand in July.

IP Logged

Dartanion
Just Joined

Reply #249 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Hey there, I'm new to this forum and new to bow hunting in general. I'm looking at a samick sage 40lb bow and was wondering if anyone on here had one and their thoughts on it.

IP Logged

Robert Dwight
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #250 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Hello, everyone!

I am Robert and I am a new member here. I find this topic interesting that is why I wanted to share a site that everyone can visit if they are looking for new bows. You may check the Authority Archery site for that. This is the site that I checked the first time I got interested with Archery. I was able to buy a Bear Bow and a Pink Camo for my wife with the help of this site.

IP Logged

Brendan
Donor Member

Reply #251 - Jan 26th, 2016 at 6:47am
Print Post  
Kiai ora Dartanion.
I got a Samick Journey which is a Sage riser with longer limbs as my first bow.  I am happy with it.  I was waiting to be able to get a recurve locally to suit my draw length so got a 45 lb one .  I am looking to get 55lb or  60lb limbs next.
An advantage with the Samick is it is a well proven bow and there is a lot of info online to help you with tuning, brace height, arrows etc when you are starting out and learning. 

IP Logged

Dartanion
Just Joined

Reply #252 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 2:59am
Print Post  
Hey Brendan,
Just wondering what spine arrows you are shooting.
I've got 500 spine

IP Logged

Brendan
Donor Member

Reply #253 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
I use full length hunter GT 500s with a 100 gr Insert and 125 heads. 45 lb bow at 30 inch draw would be 50lb for me.  Someone may be able to advise what weight at the front you may need for a 40lb Samick?

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2016 at 9:50am by Brendan »  

IP Logged

Bow Stalker
Donor Member

Reply #254 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 7:44am
Print Post  
New toy on order in Kuiu verde.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards