Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 12 magic points for Erin. (Read 4937 times)
RoaringStag
Donor Member

12 magic points for Erin.
Apr 7th, 2013 at 10:17am
Print Post  
I shot my stag before the roar. He was exactly what I wanted, so other than my hunting with fellow forum member Treeehorse, I planned nothing except renovation work on the house. Easter Sunday rolled around and I got a phone call from my mate, Russell. He wanted to go hunting and he wanted to find a stag for his missus, Erin. Erin is a very keen and able hunter, but fairly new to the sport. I have been lucky enough to share the moments of all of her first animals; her first deer (a fallow yearling), first red deer, first pig...and I was there with Russ to pick her up when she stumbled out of the scrub after an evening solo hunting...the night she shot her first bit of antler, a fallow buck. Before this roar, she had not shot a red stag, and by god was she amping to give it a go, so I figured my weekend plans could quite easily change...I was getting bored of gardening!

"Rightyo." so I left my lawn unsown and headed for the place of deer with Russ, Erin and another forum member Cow (why you call yourself Cow is beyond me by the way...you're a pig hunter for crying out loud!).

We found ourselves roaring at a scrubby face which held at least four stags, but nothing wanted to show itself until right on dark. A young eight point stag braved the open country for only a few moments...just long enough to see that he wasn't big enough for Erin.

We left the deer to it, and went home empty handed...but keen as mustard to get back in there! We had to wait a whole week, but were back amongst the deer on the following Saturday afternoon.

I agreed to take Erin into the thick stuff, and try to roar up a stag for her up close and personal, while Russ headed off in another direction to look at some clearings where we had seen deer before. We had no idea where Cow was though...but he wasn't out with us this time!

Nearing the top of the hill, the deer sign started getting a bit thicker on the ground, so we pulled up for a few quiet moments before I let out a roar.

"There!" said Erin. I knew she hadn't seen the deer, instead she was pointing in the direction of the ridge where a stag was roaring his nut off. We'd really started something by announcing our presence, and I could tell that Erin was chomping at the bit to head up there.

Erin was holding her .243, and I was holding my 30.06. I had a memory flicker of a stag all roared up and full of adrenalin taking off with a bullet square in his shoulder, so I asked Erin if she would fancy using the cannon. She was straight into it; it is identical to her rifle...just a touch bigger so she was confident. Until this point we had left our rifles unloaded. I checked her rifle, left the chamber empty and put it on my back, then instructed her that I was happy for her to chamber a round, which she did, keeping it on half bolt and carrying it with her hand tucked under the bolt like a pro she lead the way quietly and carefully up the hill.

When we reached the clearing on top of the hill where we'd seen the eight pointer on the previous weekend, we were greeted with the sight of a curious spiker. He had no idea what we were, so I reached for my camera. I took a little video then changed my camera to a photo setting and let out a wee roar. The spiker got all nervous then curiosity got the better of him and he came closer to the bush we were hiding behind...he got to less than 15 metres we reckon.

I hadn’t thought about it when I roared, and got a hell of a surprise when an angry solid stag appeared, obviously wondering who dared come into his territory and challenge him.
“Shoot that!” I said to Erin as I trained my camera onto him.

“What, the spiker?” Erin asked.
“No! THE STAG,” I replied. The stag came closer and perfectly on cue he turned side on as Erin closed the bolt, took aim and let him have the full force of the 30.06.
The stag reared, hit in the chest but behind the shoulder. I watched in horror as he took off and headed straight for the bush. It was getting dark, so I instantly knew we wouldn’t be finding him that eve. We searched though, but returned to Russ in the pitch black empty handed. Erin was down to say the least, but I assured her that the stag was upside down somewhere, and not to worry too much...
The next morning Russ and Erin headed off in search of Erin’s stag. I couldn’t make it early as I had hungry sheep to tend to, so they replaced me with their pup “Oggie”.
The rest of the story I had to hear, not experience. It goes something like this;
After searching fruitlessly for several hours, the pup was let to lead the way, and after only a wee while it found some blood. Russ and Erin then let the pup lead them down onto a huge game trail...and that’s where the stag was found, dead as a doornail.

The first I got to see of it was when they turned up on my door step. He was huge, bigger than I’d thought he would be...and 12 points.
Here is Erin holding him on my deck (note the now sown lawn in the background Wink )...she is scratched up, covered in blood...but well chuffed. Good girl!

What a cool roar...another momentous adventure to relive over and over throughout our lives.

IP Logged

gizzy-mike
Forum Font

OUT AND ABOUT

Re: 12 magic points for Erin.
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
good stuff Cool mean head too

ive lost enuf brain cells, they are now at a managable level.

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
great stuff and excellent photo's  Cool

IP Logged

MJ 308
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Nice read, and a great looking stag.  Wink

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 4:18am
Print Post  
A really "nice" story. Well done the lass, and Oggie.  I hope Erin realises that's a bloody good head for her first Red stag.  I like your pic too, of the skinny spiker. He's a classic.  Best regards.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

boomstick.
Donor Member

born to hunt, forced 2
work

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 5:06am
Print Post  
that stag looks angry alright, well done Erin and a great photo there roaring stag! Cool

fishing sure beats working,, i love animals,they're delicious

IP Logged

EP
Just Joined

Can't see the forest for
the trees.

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 5:26am
Print Post  
Grandad wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 4:18am:
A really "nice" story. Well done the lass, and Oggie.  I hope Erin realises that's a bloody good head for her first Red stag.  I like your pic too, of the skinny spiker. He's a classic.  Best regards.

Thanks. I certainly do realise that I am well and truly lucky to have nabbed this as my first (I had been saying before hand that anything bigger than a two pointer would do me for my first stag Grin. To be honest I think that I am still in a state of disbelief. Beginners luck is what I think they call it  Grin

It was well and truly a team effort:
RoaringStag doing the roaring for me, as I don't quite have the vocal range for roaring  Smiley(not to mention spotting the stag  Shocked as I was laughing at the spiker as I thought RS's roar had scared it off by sounding too much like something much bigger than him!)
Russ for his patience, eagle eyes and dog handling skills Tongue helping me search around in the scrub for HOURS.
Also, last but certainly not least my little champ Oggie who I wish that I would've enlisted to help search right from the get go instead of 4 hours into it  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Wolfs
Just Joined

Keep the traditions.

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Well done Erin!! And well written story.

But Erin, your roaring is still better than mine.. haha Smiley

See you,
Wolfs.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Nice stag Erin,dont forget to give the pup some veni,keep his noise keen.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Great result! well done Erin and all. Great photos James.

IP Logged

dtchch
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Good work Erin! Thats a great head.

Wicked photos of the deer mate, having a photo of the big fella alive just adds to the magic  Cool

Whatungarongaro te tangata toitū te whenua
Man shall disappear, but the land always remains

IP Logged

MG
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
dtchch wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 7:35pm:
Wicked photos of the deer mate, having a photo of the big fella alive just adds to the magic  Cool

Agreed, he looks like he's posing for the camera, a truly magnificent animal, well done!!

IP Logged

MG
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #12 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Cool looking dog as well, he looks chuffed. What breed is he? for some reason he kind of reminds me of mark sainsbury probably the moustache.

IP Logged

EP
Just Joined

Can't see the forest for
the trees.

Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Trout wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 6:46pm:
Nice stag Erin,dont forget to give the pup some veni,keep his noise keen.

Hi, thanks - I am well and truly stoked with it. Pup definitely got in on the venison action for dinner that night  Smiley

IP Logged

EP
Just Joined

Can't see the forest for
the trees.

Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 9:15am
Print Post  
MG wrote on Apr 8th, 2013 at 11:19pm:
Cool looking dog as well, he looks chuffed. What breed is he? for some reason he kind of reminds me of mark sainsbury probably the moustache.

He was quite proud of himself once he realised that he had done what we were wanting him too (he was quite apprehensive/scared when he first got to the stag). Cheered up and starting acting very proud of himself once he had a bit of praise and a good pat  Smiley
He's an Irish Terrier - funny you say that about Sainsbury as Oggie kind of reminds me of Russ when he grows out his facial hair - matching colour and all....... Grin

We got him just as a pet to keep our other dog Muzz company. He has only been out once before and that time he pointed to a doe and fawn, so it looks like he has some good natural instincts  Cool.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards