Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Shepherd (Read 5257 times)
Harry Hoodback

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

The Shepherd
Mar 26th, 2013 at 5:29am
Print Post  
Every hunt is different with some just down right , full-on exciting. Today was one of the above. It began in the usual fashion with the alarm seemingly spitting out its hideous blah blah about 5 seconds after I had shut my eyes. After falling off the bed putting the gruts on inside out I was out the door with the kit and hurtling down the road at a pace that may well have earned me one or two demerit points and soured my little excursion. Where I have been going is a good haul of about an hour fourty five minutes so there is ample time to gobble down pies , sausage rolls and other tasty health food purchased from "yes flesh this morning sir "   bakeries , dotted intermittently every 30km of the trip all with the same recipes as each other ..........if you know what I mean. Any how later on after expiry of said time frame , I hastily extract my chuff from the seat , out of the motorised dutch oven and into what I had hoped would be a slightly cooler morning than I experienced as I kitted up and dove over the bank and into a mature and very healthy bush lawyer. Down to the creek and up the other side takes well over an hour before there is any point in sharpening the senses. I know the animals are holding high up in the creek heads , just like fishing I want to be in the right spot at the right time. As I move along at my top pace leaking like a holey bucket , I put out the odd moan with an every so often , full on Roar , but the bush is all but silent except for the birds enjoying the fine and settled start to yet another day. Eventually I get to within reach of the creek heads , all close together with little finger ridges between and start to notice a little fresh sign here and there.   I decide it is a about time to flop to the ground to top up the radiator , let the temperature settle and the heart rate drop to under 600 beats per minute so I might have the opportunity to hear something other than my organs trying to jump out of my chest.
As I settle back to normal I let out a few grumbles as I  re-fuel . There is no reply until about 10 or so minutes later and it is a half hearted sort of moan only , but better than nothing. I estimated the distance at about 200m away , but without consideration for the ups and downs. So off I went , with the slight zephyr of Catabatic air on my nose to close the gap. I wasnt in any particular hurry , the bush floor was a little crunchy and every thing was good in my little part of the world. The odd moan here and there was returned occassionally with the same.
As I got to within about 100m I roared loudly and directly to receive an instant rebuttal from not one but three different Stags. The original Stag above was still static but one further away on my level sounded furious. He didn't so much Roar as Bellow out seriously loud grunts which , in my experience    occassionally follow a roar. The Stag below was going to cut my wind at some stage and besides , he was a good 400m away. I made the decision to go for old Grunter. To cut a long story short I spent the next three hours getting close to Grunter before he sidled further along . With him went the top Stag and the bottom Stag. They verbally harassed each other and every so often I put in my 2cents worth. I was getting a little annoyed with the whole situation of following the three "turkeys". They hadn't winded my but certainly were not in the mood to check me out. When the three hours was around about done I felt like I was making progress. They were all holed up in a large basin and giving each other "heaps" but from the safety of there own individual positions. I must add in here that old Grunter had all along been Shepherding a number of Hinds and it was their combined prints that kept me on the right elevation. I was closing the gap now and for the last few minutes or so there had been no talking from anyone. I perched on a wee knob above a little creek riddled with Pungas before I let out a low moan. and kept still . Above me there was a roar and also below.......waiting then just a very low gurgle close. I sat , I looked , I waited. I listen , I hear movement . I spot him , 3 tops He is looking at me no further than 15m away. I am ready , I fire , He drops. All happens so fast . The Shepherd is down and out. I am Sad , I am Happy . I am the Hunter. He is my best.

IP Logged

Harry Hoodback

Re: The Shepherd
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:05am
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2013 at 7:10am by headcase »  

IP Logged

Harry Hoodback

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:21am
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2013 at 7:11am by headcase »  

IP Logged

trip
Donor Member

7mm08 Tika T3

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Nice one well done Smiley

I SWEAR IT WAS THIS BIG.......YEAH RIGHT!!!

IP Logged

BP75
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Cracking looking stag, quite the trip!

Regards

BP

Sauer 202 Outback .243 90gr Sako Gameheads Atec Maxim Suppressor

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
enjoyed that! sounds like a bloody exciting hunt Cool

IP Logged

gizzy-mike
Forum Font

OUT AND ABOUT

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 9:43am
Print Post  
nice stag there, enjoyd the yarn too
thanks Smiley

ive lost enuf brain cells, they are now at a managable level.

IP Logged

duckndeer

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Great read but for us with bad eyes press 'ENTER'
Cheesy

IP Logged

Rudolph Red Nose

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 4:16am
Print Post  
Cheers, very good read and cracker head! Well done.

IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2013 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Wicked mate and congrats.   Wink

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Nice one Harry. You've got to copy and paste the image code and nothing else. Ive corrected it for you so the pics show directly.  Cool

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

cliff larsen
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Nice one Harry. Smiley

IP Logged

Harry Hoodback

Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that Headcase. You do a mighty job on here.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #13 - May 10th, 2013 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Good work. I think the last line was really well done.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

royal twelve

HUNTERS INSTINCT<br />

Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 8:13am
Print Post  
gidday mate is this a 13? if im thinking of the right person are you the fella I met up the northblock? jaspurs the name

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards