Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Why we do it (A roar report) (Read 3825 times)
Hook_Grass

270. win

Why we do it (A roar report)
Mar 26th, 2013 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Saturday afternoon rolled around and i knew i had a slow and boring day of work tomorrow so i decided i better hit the hills for an afternoon wander.

I left the car just before 1pm and headed into a fairly popular doc block. I made good time up the hill and there was a lot of stag sign in two different zones so i spent abit of time sneaking around looking for the fellas making all the mess but had no luck. The steep bluffs near the top of the spur slowed me down a bit and i made note of where they were for the way down. On reaching the ridge line i made my way for a low clay knob, it was an area i'd seen alot of stag sign around before but never caught up with the stag. This time was no different, plenty of fresh stag rubbings on the trees but no stag. I still made sure to keep the human noises down to a minimum. I stopped for a breather and a glass, Way down below i could hear the paddock stags roaring their guts out and i was hopeful when i cast a couple of roars out into the gully. No replies and after 20minutes i decided to push on to bigger and better places.

Another short but stiff climb had me at the last stop for the arvo and a after a big glassing session and a few roars nothing had shown up although i had thought I'd heard a grumble further up the ridge but decided to leave him as it was getting pretty late ( and a mate had been chasing a deer in that same area so best to leave him  Smiley ) before heading for home i thought a wee stalk down to the bush edge would be worth it. I'd only gone 30 meters when i spotted the arse end of a deer, so out with the camera for a closer look. Stalking down the open tussock face using the odd tree for cover i was making good ground, i snuck in behind the last tree between us and poked my nose out the other side. There standing no more than 5 meters away was a big fat hind eyeballing me! she knew the drill and was gone before i could get a half decent photo of her and took the spiker and unseen yearling with her out into the next creek system! lesson learnt. I had expected the spiker to be by himself at this time of year, but "always expect the unexpected!"

So i packed up my gear, pretty stoked with my saturday afternoon. Half way back down the open face i looked up to the clay knob I'd sat on on the way up I thought hmmm that looks like a deer? up with the binos, BLOODY HELL! its a deer alright  Cheesy a quick shaky photo (not worth repeating) and i was off to have a crack at this big boy. I wasn't sure what my chances were stalking down a open face but i closed the gap to 300m, meanwhile the stag just stood there ( i wasn't sure if he'd hit my scent trail or what?) he let out a couple of roars still standing in the exact same spot. I let out a roar and he spun around staring straight at me, i waited for him to open up his neck abit and then i let him have it. A solid hit but he took off so i reloaded and hit him with another just to make sure. YOU BEAUTY!

I nearly ran down to him. It took a few minutes just for it to sink in. Only my second public land stag and an absolute cracker for the area. 10 solid points with a wee bonus bez tine.

35" long with 12"brows and 13" trez. He was a big old boy and fat as mud, with a couple of cm fat over his rump. It didnt matter to me that he was missing a 12th tine, i couldn't have cared less!

A very rushed butchering and photo session and i was rushing for home. 8pm and the sun had disappeared and i still had the bluffs to get through before i was home safe. The sub-alpine scrub was making progress frustratingly slow and I'd made only but 200-300m by 10pm. I knew i was getting close to where i needed to be so i pushed on wanting to get back home or at least to the creek as I'd been dry for the last 4hrs. I finally broke out of the sub-alpine scrub into the native from here i only had to find my way to the big slip which would take me down to the creek
. I was cruising along pretty happy with the situation now that the end was nearly in sight. All off a sudden the ground beneath my feet disappeared. It took me a few moments to realise i was hanging of the edge of a bluff that i couldn't see the bottom of! luckily i'd caught my arm in a tree as i'd fallen. The hindquarters and back steaks had tumbled out of my overfull day pack and down the bluff, i was pissed to lose all the meat after struggling for so long but i was thankful that i'd lost all that weight  otherwise i don't know if I'd have pulled myself back up that bluff. I had to leave the head where it was just hanging on a tree a few meters down. And it was then i decided it was time to stop being a silly bugger and camp up for the night. So i found a flat rock pulled out my thermal leggings and wind cheater, sent a txt to my bro to let him know i wouldn't be home tonight, i looked at the PLB for a second before deciding i wasn't in immediate danger just yet so no need to activate that sucker and with that i tried to get some shut eye. I woke several times in the night not to stags roaring as i'd hoped but instead bloody coons cackling one cheeky bugger even came in and checked me out before i told him to bugger off and sent a rock his way.

It was a very long unplanned night out and it didn't help being able to hear the creek way down below, i was thirsty as! most of the night was fine but about 3am the tempreture plumented and i was shivering my ass off for awhile. But once i seen the dairy sheds lights in the distance i figured the sun couldn't be far away, right? 3 hours later and up it came. Just as the first few rays of sunlight hit the slopes the stags started up and i got one in particular very very wound up, i figured he'll keep for another week until i have a crack with the camera  Wink

After having some fun with the stags it was right back to the reality of getting home in one piece. I got up and walked 4 meters to my right, low and behold the game trail i was looking for right there which linked up with the slip which lead to the creek which lead to home! bloody typical  Cheesy I still had to get the stags head back before i could leave, I'd carried and dragged him this far so i wasnt about to give up! so i lowered myself carefully down the scrubby bluff taking extreme caution. I threw the head over my shoulders and  s l o w l y  worked my way back up. That was a sketchy time indeed. Once back up i peered over the edge looking for the hind quaters but i couldnt see anything down there so i cruised on out to the slip. It was a quick skate down stopping to get a drink from a tiny wee trickle along the way. Shit water never tasted so bloody good!  Grin

One last bluff to get past it was gunna be a tricky descent with the antlers so i made a rope out of some flax and lowered the head down before climbing down. I tried to go as fast as i could back down the tight creek but once again the antlers weren't making it easy! it was an amazingly bloody good feeling to make it back to the car alive after an epic 24hrs on the hill. I rushed to get home, showered, feed and then down to work. Luckily the boss is a hunter so wasn't to grumpy about me being late  Wink although i was absolutely shagged and didn't get a lot of work done.

It was crazy to think how such a short easy evening stroll had turned into a huge adventure that could have easily ended in disaster. I was very grateful for my luck and a very valuable lesson or two has been learnt about travel in that dangerous country in the dark. I had a lot of time to think while up there on that cold hard rock. The question i keep asking myself was "What the heck was i doing here?" it was then that i decided that i was here because i love the challenge. I'd had an amazing afternoon testing myself against game and nature (and almost lost) but I'd come out on top with a new found huge amount of respect for the hills and what they hold. Sitting up there cold, hungry and thirsty i couldnt have been happeir! i was alive and kicking doing what i love in the best place on earth. I was here because this is what i love doing.  Smiley

The first thing going into my pack next time is those thermals and wind cheater! those two things saved my ass. Although a new addition of an emergancy blanket is there too.

Cheers everyone, and be safe in the hills this roar. No stag is worth your life even if he's a monster.

Best of luck to everyone for the roar!

Cheers HG  Cool

IP Logged

penetrator
Donor Member

Go the Magnum!

Re: Why we do it (A roar report)
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Awesome report mate - and good stuff keeping your cool in a tricky situation and hunkering down for the night.

Very  Cool

Let's go unleash some "Hurting Bombs"

IP Logged

fletty
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Great read and well done on scoring a nice stag,Spending an unplanned night on the hill can be on of the longest nights of your life,speciall the last 3 or 4hrs.

IP Logged

wolverine
Donor Member

To hunt is to LIVE

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 6:16am
Print Post  
awesome report and a cracker stag

IP Logged

Plodder

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
ripper stag  Wink

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Nice stag,glad you stayed put till day ligth,important decision and the best one. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2013 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Epic adventure and a bloody good stag, well done Hookgrass.  Cool Cool

IP Logged

blaser
Forum Font

Barnes bullets are best

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Awesome hunt and a stag you will remember for a long time.

To keen to own a pointer!!!!!!

IP Logged

Alberto
Just Joined

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2013 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Nice stag man and some nice pics too. One to remember.

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2013 at 3:13am
Print Post  
Great story. Cool You earned that stag alright. Bummer about losing the meat, but at least you got out in one piece. Smiley

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

sikaslayer1
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2013 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Whoa what a hunt! Well done on the stag and glad you were OK. Great write up.

IP Logged

Skindog
Just Joined

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2013 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Good work man, awesome stag to commemorate an awesome adventure.

I want to die like grandad, peacefully in my sleep, not like the people yelling and screaming in his car.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards