Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 2 1sts (Read 2809 times)
Harry Hoodback

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

2 1sts
Mar 21st, 2013 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
I keep a close eye on the fish n hunt forum which over time has assisted me in fine tuning a few of my hunting skills. I do have a take on Hunting and Fishing though ....the old 80/20 rule. I havn't been hunting forever but consider myself most probably in the 80% department. Funny how the older I get the less I think I know....but I digress.
I popped out of bed this morning about 4.15am after the snooze button got a working over and the missus started to grumble , stumbled round the house for 1/2 an hour trying not to forget anything , threw a new set of eyes in over the top of my original pair and hit the road with my toast and coffee. Luckily for me I am a well mannered and tidy eater as there was only about 2 teaspoons of honey on my holey old outfit , steering wheel , and upholstery when I finally got to the deer farm about 4km from the DOC land I was about to hunt. It is a custom of mine to whip out the horn.....roaring .....and blow the cobwebs over the bank and down to the farm stags , hopefully to get an instant barage of replies. However today it wasn't to be which was a bit strange for the deer farm , certainly not to early for them but most probably a few weeks early for the bush stags but hey , what the hell I hunt here all year so hopefully the bush floor is damp and quiet and I may pick up a meaty little deer for my hungry sausage machine. Half an hour later and just as the sky changed slightly to light but before the tuis had let out their first early morning squark I was kitted up and off into the bush . There was a light and even breeze pushing down the valley as I found my legs hiking up the stream , under the supllejack , over the logs and away from the vehicle . Checking all systems ;  sqeezing the ringing from the ears , blowing the hooter , couple of good resonating farts for no one but myself to appreciate and I'm ready for action. Pleasantly enough the bush floor was nice and damp . There was a bit of sign here and there , some fresh rubs , a couple of beds , a few turds and fresh prints but little in the way of scent. Fortunately for me God blessed me with an extra large nose which has its ups and downs. We wont get into the downs but a huge upside is that it has a fantastic sense of smell which in the bush is , not to put to fine a point on it worth every bloody inch!
I must have been just over 1km from the vehicle , the bush was still quite dark with a chill in the air when I chanced upon a recently used game trail. There was no smell but in a small area of softer ground I could clearly make out the print of a very large stag. I actually took a photo of said print next to my size 10 and with the dew claws the big boy didn't draw up far short of the length of my boot. I was ever hopeful that he was sitting down licking his balls just over the top of every small brow but it wasnt to be so i just kept on mooching along in no hurry.
Eventually i came to one of the little off shoot valleys that I decided to follow up to the head. I often hunt these heads as the deer have plenty of cover , there is some reasonably open bits here and there with of course , water not far away. I took to the little ridge to one side and slowly crept skywards.
Sometime later I got an ever so slight whiff of deer. At first I believed it to be that of a hind but as it got stronger I found a reasonably fresh rub on a sapling and smelt the unmistakeable odour of STAG. I thought for a minute before deciding on a small moan back down the valley and into my shirt. Well you could have knocked me over with a feather......INSTANTLY a stag on the opposing small ridge let out a full blown ROOOOOAAAARRRR. I nearly packed my britches , it was the last result I expected. Now I have shot more than my fair share of  deer but I was not expecting 1/ The instant and close reply . 2/ My heart rate to leap into serious overdrive. Over the next 5-10 minutes him and I exchanged verbal abuse   with low key moans. I looked about and started hearing things , like him coming through the foot wide stream below but nothing. Settling the heart rate and the breathing I decided to make down the dip and try and sneak up on him from downwind. I was hoping he wouldn't think the same way and cut my wind from below. Over the next 5-10 minutes I smooched along very carefully . There were no noises coming from his last position and none coming from mine. As I reached a good solid old tree with cover I let out a more serious moan hoping for a reply from above , and so it was to be , The stag let out a moan in reply. He was close , maybe 50 metres and closing. Sitting tight I waited and looked. His smell was strong , he was close ...tick tock tick tock........I notice a small amount of movement .....Antler ? I wait.....Then there is more movement ......I wait. He is looking down from about 25 metres , one eye out the side of a punga. Then I've lost him ....I move ever so slightly. His other eye is poking around the other side of the punga. He moves again , this time he thrashes a sapling , I see Torso. He thrashes again and again . I would like a more appropriate body part .......It is unmistakable , the neck.....BOOM.
I move slowly up the hill keeping an eye on the tip of  his antler , the only piece of him I could see , checking for movement. There was none. He was a young 6 points but fat as mud with an inch of fat on his rump. What an awesome hunt , no trophy but 30kg of prime meat  another lesson and another memory.

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Re: 2 1sts
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Good story! well done ..felt like I was there!

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
Book. Born to The Outdoors http://www.alan-simmons.com/book
IP Logged

ynot 7x57

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
A great report, well done cheers.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Good writeup about a satisfying solo hunt, great when it all goes right, in the swiftly formulated plan, after you hear the first roar.  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
ripper of a write up almost like being there! Smiley

Just do it

IP Logged

Bushhunter

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
I like your style of writing, great yarn  Cool

IP Logged

Viking
Forum Font

Life is for living--not
for worrying

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Nothing quite like roaring in a ripe and randy stag in the bush like that!! Really gets the adrenalin going!
Good write up, enjoyed that!! Wink Smiley
                                             Cheers
                                                         B!

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
But the rules say you need an IMAGE! please Grin

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
Book. Born to The Outdoors http://www.alan-simmons.com/book
IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2013 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
So well written i read twice,well done.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

2tintin

Tramping with a gun

Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2013 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Wow, when's your book being released!  Great write up!

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Sweet man  Cool

IP Logged

Vazza
Donor Member

hunting... best shared
with mates

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 9:35am
Print Post  
awesome style of writing... makes it very real experience for the reader... well done!

IP Logged

Krico
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Nice - great result for you, and a great narration of the event - you transported me to like I was looking over your shoulder - enjoyed it - ta.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards