Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Show us your package (Read 75387 times)
Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Re: Show us your package
Reply #15 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 12:55am
Print Post  
what doonkey in that Wazza

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #16 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Great thread guys.

We grew up around jet boats, mainly hamiltons, therefore when it was time to build a sea boat Dad went Jet powered. I use the boat more than he does now, which is all good by both of us  Wink

Boat was built 11 years ago by Seahouse Boats (designed by the old man)

All alloy, 10mm bottom, 6mm sides

Total length is 7.6 metres

Powered by a GenIII LS1 and 212 single stage Hamilton unit

Hydraulic steering now, as we had trouble with cables seizing

Goes really well. We needed something to handle rough weather down here on the South coast (a flat days fishing is a 2m swell 15+ knots)

We also do extended trips to Fiordland and Stewart Island and it needed to be able to cross our local bars at any tide as the weather can change quickly and theres no where to hide down here.

Draws about 8 inches of water at 40mph (stops quickly on sand banks  Grin) Have done a bit of river work with it, but nothing too hard out.

Been in some big seas down Pegasus and on the West Coast. Couple of times we've been caught in 6-7 metre seas. Couple of time I thought I was going to die  Grin But the old girl got us home safely. White knuckle character building stuff.

Doubtful Sound

Stewart Island

Crossing our bar at full tide

Cheers
JoshC

Keep em coming

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #17 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Man Josh, what you lack in fish down there you make up for and then some with scenery and diverse boating opportunities

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #18 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 3:28am
Print Post  
250 suzuki

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

waitakidan

Reply #19 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 8:36am
Print Post  

4.5m Alexcraft, powered by a Ford 302 V8 spinning a Hamilton 773 unit.
Doesn't get used as much as I would like, but I can launch into the river from the bottom of my farm and chase salmon and trout.
Also have a little 3.4m inflatable with a 15hp on the back and a casting deck on the front for fishing lake edges and deltas.
Dan

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #20 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 4:37am
Print Post  
Nice unit Dan - I would love to learn more about river jet boating, we just don't have suitable rivers where i live! The idea of using my boat for hunting and not just fishing really appeals

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #21 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
what a cool thread!
started my fishing as a mad keen rock hopper. two or three times a week i would hit the rocks after work or overnighters on weekends.
i then started targeting little island and headlands you needed a boat to access.
my father bought me a second hand 12 ft tinny with a 10hp johnson for my 21st, stoked!
dont have any photos on the computer but man i had some awesome fishing out of that wee boat,. both rock and boat fishing.
graduated to a 14 ft "dehavaland" tinny. apparently they used to drop them out of planes in the army etc although im not sure on that.
then bought a brand new 14 ft mako cuddy cabin and 40hp johnson. my first new boat.
had some great fishing, hooked a few marlin and generally explored the coast.
then a second hand 16ft fryran with a 50hp evinrude.
thrashed this boat and ended up killing it.
got caught trying to get home from cape brett back to oakura across home bay in a real nasty sea.
ended up coming off a wave with a sickening crunch and split the front of the hull. water poured in and we bailed like madmen and shit our pants at the same time. somehow we made it back. at full throttle the boat was 40% full of water and doling about 7 knots Shocked Grin as i swung past the boat ramp my mate jumped off and swam in, got the trailer backed down the ramp as i did nervous laps trying to stay afloat.
i drove it straight onto the trailer and she sunk proper right there.
sold her to the scrap metal dealer Grin Grin
then bought a 20 ft sportsman. neat boat and did a lot of stay away fishing at the mokes, poor knights, cape brett etc.
did a major re fit on her, added a metre or so in length, portofino stern,game rigged, live bait tank etc.
sold her to a fella at whakatane and still see her tied up when i go down that way hunting Cool
then a 5.5mtr ramco fisherman second hand and put a new 90hp yammy on her. had a ball in this and did some major missions. caught marlin, yellow fin tuna and all manner of big fish, she did a lot of miles!
coming home from game fishing one day well north of the poor knights things got ugly real fast.
wind against sea and a front came through making the sea boil into big short chop.
we came off a wave and straight into the face of the next one. i will never forget watching water almost in slow motion roll up the front, up over the wind screen and over into the boat! instantly we had about 200 litres of water inside and the boat lost all power and steering as the weight of the water made us wallow around. big waves all around and i must admit to feeling pretty bloody scared!
i just turned on the bilge, mate bailed frantically and i put the power on heading straight for the poor knights. still had five lures out but was to scared to stop to pull them in! Shocked i said to my mate if one of those rods gets a strike just cut the f**ken line, were out of here! Grin Grin
made it to the knights, pulled in the gear and tidied things up. waited there for three hours till the sea settled down a little then tucked hard in behind one of the big dive boats and made it home to tutukaka.
sold that for my current boat, a 6mtr ramco fishmaster with the same 90hp yamaha i bought new.
it has its limitations but i love this boat. it does everything i want it to do. i can solo launch it, beach launch it, easy to tow and takes me pretty much anywhere.
i love game fishing out of her well offshore or just evening snapper fishing around my local reefs.

i fully rebuilt this boat, new floor, re paint, re wired, duel batteries, new lowrance sounder/plotter, twin live bait tanks, game rigged etc.
shes all i need and dose what i want but the next step will be something a little bigger.
im keen to get back into stay away boat trips. my boy and i fish once or twice a week, often with mates on board as well.
something like a 7.2 mtr mclay hard top would be just perfect! Smiley

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #22 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
At Auntys request.
Started fishing with stepdad number 1 at 6yrs of age, then Uncle Bob came along and he spent the next 6yrs teaching me how to survive off the land and sea with 3-4 times aweek food gathering on the river for flounders and mullet and weekly reccies up the river (for meat), sea fishing was limited to off the North Mole at the river entrance, stepdad numbers 3, 4 and 5  I wont talk about.

My 1st boating experience was in a pram dinghy targeting trout and perch in the local lakes, unfortunately this was always in the dark.
I started commercial fishing working on a small 17ft Ally boat built by steel boats wanganui in the early 70s with Dave Chadfield (pro boxer in them days), we hauled the 2000mts of gill nets by hand, that man could catch fish and was immensley strong.

After living in a caravan at Belt road motor camp (the pauas were always small but very sweet) I embarked on the trawler scene, Mangorei fisheries (sp)  had some awesome skippers Eric Parker and his brother Gordon aboard the "Seaway" and  "Esperance" and Willie Watts with the "Geneva May", we single and pair trawled and then absolutely raped the fish stocks with triple trawling, 50 tonnes of snapper for the japanese market every 3days.

I returned to wanganui and worked on the Oceania then was asked to work on and help setup the "Galaxy" and "Patricia Jane" for Pair trawling, this was very succesful for  Pam williams (owner of Wanganui trawlers)

I left the sea for a while and tried my hand at running an owner operated trucking business for Carter Holts, after a few years I went back to Sea, this time with my eldest son, 10 yrs of hard work and constant battles with  A.C.E. (annual catch entitlements)  saw us sell off the boat and expensive quota we had purchased over the years.

I think we gave it a good shot.
Started off in a 20ft glass craft trailer boat towed by  a sturdy landrover  fishing for sandfords, progressed to a 33ft Carey designed 15tonne displacement hull,  Sanfords vacated the region so left us with only one small fish receiver.
two of our fishing boats  Grin

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #23 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
that second tinny is an interesting design iceman. never seen one like that before.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #24 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Mar 5th, 2013 at 8:37pm:
that second tinny is an interesting design iceman. never seen one like that before.

Brilliant piece of engineering, two pontoons that simply attached to the sides at the rear of any craft. cant remember the name of the company, tinny is just a parkercraft from memory.

This tinny supplied hundreds of feeds

Came with a sun canopy as well Grin

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #25 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Grin Grin yes you definitely look shady!

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #26 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 2:10am
Print Post  
what did that y/f weigh Chris - 30ish?

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #27 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 4:30am
Print Post  
Aunty wrote on Mar 6th, 2013 at 2:10am:
what did that y/f weigh Chris - 30ish?

44kg bro. had five rods out and my wake erupted in white water, five rods went off! Shocked
that one was the only one that stuck. he was the last that bit and jumped clear of the water from just outside the left hand side of my wake and nailed the lumo sprocket on my right hand rigger. was quit a sight i can tell ya! Grin

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #28 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 4:39am
Print Post  
I didn't grow up around boats... this was my first one I had the use off (not mine)

Rose got some good Kahwai's

Michaels first Kingi in the next boat

Kids are growing up around fishing  Cool

before the engine change and Bimini was fitted

I rebuilt the transom adding plenty of strength and rod holders Cheesy

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Reply #29 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 4:39am
Print Post  
chris wrote on Mar 5th, 2013 at 8:01pm:
it has its limitations but i love this boat. it does everything i want it to do. i can solo launch it, beach launch it, easy to tow and takes me pretty much anywhere.
i love game fishing out of her well offshore or just evening snapper fishing around my local reefs.

Neat boats Chris - but your choice of crew is pretty dodgy!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards