Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Maxtoch SN6X-2 upgrade soon.... (Read 385513 times)
4Boars

I Love the Outdoors. Waimate.

Re: Maxtoch SN6X-2 upgrade soon....
Reply #2385 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Finally I got the maxtoch LR headlamp out last night for a run  shooting wallabies. I am impressed with it, I night shoot of a quad use the headlamp as a spotter once the wallys are in shooting range I turn on my M24 which is scope mounted on my .22 or .223 last night .22 and most wallys get a small hunk of lead thru the head, except for the 1s I miss! The LR was very light on the head, didnt know it was there, The colour of the light I thought was spot on as wallys are not the easiest animal to pick up in a light. Many years I have used the light force halogen but wallys at distance are hard to pick up. Recently I have used the new Boruit 10 H/L, I would rate the LR better in distance and colour. I used an old set of batteries from an older light but only got 1.5hrs, then slipped in another older couple of batteries, done another 1.5hrs the LR was still shining bright with 33 head shot n gutted roos in the chiller. Im not sure on the expected run time with good batteries. Mudgripz might be able to update that one.

The LR has a dimmer on it just hold the switch button in and it dims down {took awhile to work that one out!} but it was great for gutting and reloading. Overall I am impressed and I have been waiting years for a light like this! I will give it another run tonight if the weather plays ball. A big thanks to Mudgipz for the opportunity to try this headlamp out.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2386 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
That's great to hear Shane. Like the M24/2X, Brian (gadgetman) and I set the specs for this headlamp with Maxtoch. Designed specifically for kiwi hunting conditions.  Its certainly got a very good range for a headlamp - well over 500m max, and the colour tint is good - no blue/white glare. When using it from the truck I found I actually stopped using the 2X for a while - the headlamp was good enough out to a fair old distance. I liked the sliding switch too - way of the future there.  Liked the beam balance - width plus long range - good for scanning paddocks pretty quickly. Runtimes should be over 2 hours with best batts.

Nearest competition would be led lenser's top of the line XEO19R. This is their $499 model with a max 300m beam range. This new Maxtoch LR lamp will likely cost less than 1/3rd of that led lenser, and offers nearly double the hunting range.  Roll Eyes

Have another play with it and suggest any improvements. Its still a prototype so we can make a few changes..
Cheers Mike

IP Logged

Bushrash
Donor Member

The Supplejack Swamp Ķм..Ćũńŧřŷ

Reply #2387 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Had a look at one of those headlamps down whirinaki last weekend ,,they look good ,,,will have to get one in !!

"IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOIN IT!!"

IP Logged

biggun708

Life is good...

Reply #2388 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Ok so what's the eta on when the headlamp will be available?  I think I feel a purchase coming on...

I am a hunter, I hunt without apoogy or guilt...

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2389 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Be a wee while yet Big - still getting final kiwi tune-up  Smiley   

I think this will be a very popular hunter/outdoor headlamp with its huge range, plus sliding switch. No hi/med/low modes - you just press the go button and slide it up or down to any output level you like. New tech...

IP Logged

4Boars

I Love the Outdoors. Waimate.

Reply #2390 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
I took the maxtoch LR headlamp out for another run shooting wallabies. Like most things new, you have to use them 2 or 3 times to evaluate how good they are. The second time out with this headlamp, its very good. I`m not up there on the technical stuff, I will leave that to the experts. My thoughts on the practical side of this headlamp, I can`t fault it, light colour is very good for spotting animals, has very good distance for a headlamp (better than anything else I have used).Also as Mudgripz said it is good for sweeping paddocks. The sliding switch is a great new innovation, great for gutting and reloading when dimmed down. The design of the headband and the positioning of the headlamp, in my opinion is very good, not big and glumsy like some headlamps. It looks simple and well put together, the last thing a hunter wants is a malfunction in the middle of the night. I was out for 2.5hrs and didnt need to change the batteries but the headlamp was turned off when shooting. Another 32 roo`s in the chiller.

I think Mudgripz n Gadgetman have done a great job of designing this headlamp, as I have said I have been wanting a light like this for years. It keeps night shooting by yourself simple.
I can`t really suggest any improvements Mugripz, except get this light into production so us hunters can get them out in the fields. Cheers

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2391 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Great feedback - good to hear its performing well. Brian and I looking forward to another shoot soon with this lamp and the little M1 Archer, then with the mods you guys have recommended I'd say they are ready to go into production.

If they bring it in at a good price the LR lamp could be a bloody good seller ...something most hunters would want in the kit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards